Spectator Thread Spectator chat

If it were up to me Id give everyone spec access, but modchat is telling me not to due to being consistent with the rules. I disagree but what can you do.

Oh boy... I obviously disagree as well.

It should be about making this fun and not staying within some self-imposed rules.

Monkey points out how Sorian tries to lay the groundwork for a faircure lynch tomorrow. I can't see him surviving the day.

I've barely had time to read over the weekend, why is LP unanimously the candidate for the neutral?

Faddy

of, having, or involving transitory whims
I take back everything I said about town being good if they don't lynch Sorian today.

Faddy

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So wait. If they kill L_P
Sorian kills Saw, disappears Crimson
Then alive is Sorian, Monkey, Faircure.
Majority is 2.
Sorian instavotes for the win!

Faddy

That's it. I am going to mod kill anyone who posts during the night phase in my game.

Pedro

The Last Airbender is actually a great movie
The reason this spectator chat was unavailable to dead players is because HvV had 3 different methods of bringing someone back to life: the Dragon Balls, the TARDIS, and by killing Cell after he had absorbed players. So they needed to remain spoiler-free in case they were called back.
Nicole is here because Geno requested so, as it would be unlikely for a Neutral to be revived, though the odds of that happening were higher than 0%. Her post in the OT confirming her presence here created an issue, as people shouldn't know that a dead player was given access to here.
In order to avoid further problems we decided to strictly follow rule 36 and forbid access to any player until the game ended, even after all the reviving tools had been used, since lifting the "ban" would indirectly confirm that there were no more ways of reviving someone, and that's information about the design that living players shouldn't have access to.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
It should be about making this fun and not staying within some self-imposed rules.
The rules are in place for a reason: people can't keep their mouths shut. If there's a way to revive, we don't need to tilt the game with outside knowledge that revives are over. Whose fun are we measuring here - fun for people to yammer outside the game, or the fun and experience of players? Because the latter should win out every time.

Hecht

Like dubstep for my bootyhole
  • Hecht has definitely seen MHA
  • Definitely changing my playstyle next game since town seems to punish active posters
  • Brazil's predictions were so on point I thought he had a role that let him read my role PM lol

I have not. Google is awesome.

Hecht is also playing a good game

I was!

I don't think that was a smart play by Hecht, the lynch is on a knife edge here. For me it seems like Faircure and Fran are waiting for Monkey to make a decision.

I was desperate, dammit!

Yeah... admittedly, I knew Sorian's alignment early on, but the stuff he's been posting wasn't towny. It feels like he gets townreads no matter what he's doing.

"I know this looks scummy, but post all the info you have town"
"gee, this might look suspicious, but I have to ask you to claim right now"
"come on, everyone tell me what you did at night"
"me? NAH, no way I'm telling you anything about me"
"nope, not going to claim" (when 90% already claimed)

and he keeps getting away with it.

Unfortunately Hecht made it easy today :( He scumread Sorian's behaviour since a few phases, but only tunneled on mechanics the others didn't believe in. Instead of delivering this shit show, which Sorian gladly took part in, Hecht should have justified his read from ingame stuff.

It felt like Hecht did have a good reason, but tried to justify only through mechanics to convince others. It was so frustrating to see everyone talking against Hecht.

How Hecht ended up with Sorian through exclusion was okay. Only the constant bickering between the two made everyone go nah, he's mad, that can't be right.

Like what was the reason for scum!Hecht to go all in today? He wasn't exactly strongly scumread before, even though he did scummy shit like passing the item to Splinter.

Why would scum!Hecht implode like this today? He'd never make it this easy :/

mmmhh...
I'm aware I saw this from the outside, so I don't want to be too hard on anyone. Who knows how I would've reacted.

NO SHIT

Sawneeks

little green dog
It's been said like 10+ times already but Blarg you are a treasure, never stop being you. <3

and shout-outs to Gorlak for the great idea

Does Include realize she can't be dayviged?

Town gonna town.

No my role pm said immune to night kill only, also at that point and even before that I was convinced that Fran was the only female character in the game and thus since he died I thought was vanilla since D2?

Hecht

Like dubstep for my bootyhole
Monkey points out how Sorian tries to lay the groundwork for a faircure lynch tomorrow. I can't see him surviving the day.

I've barely had time to read over the weekend, why is LP unanimously the candidate for the neutral?
At the time we had the info from Includios that there was "1 scum and 1 neutral remaining." That was Muffin and Sorian. When the three disappeared came back, one of them had to be a non-town. Fandorin was NK'd, Sawneeks was green-checked early on. LP was all that was remaining.

Natiko

Town's Friendly Neighborhood Serial Killer
The rules are in place for a reason: people can't keep their mouths shut. If there's a way to revive, we don't need to tilt the game with outside knowledge that revives are over. Whose fun are we measuring here - fun for people to yammer outside the game, or the fun and experience of players? Because the latter should win out every time.
If you (and whatever MafiEra overseers) believe this then it should be codified as a rule in general. There was all this talk at the beginning of the game due to this. If it’s a spoiler to know no after death mechanics exist anymore than it’s a spoiler to know they exist in the first place. All games would follow a rule that stipulates spec thread access for game entrants would only occur in private discussions or something.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
I disagree that it's a specific spoiler beforehand; all it tells plays is that something strange is going on with the game. But once we learn within the game that resurrection is possible (among other things, with the specific disappearance of players here), ending that rule is a spoiler. Obviously I was not involved in planning and prep for this game, since I was playing, so I was not involved in the handling of this, but I think there's plenty of room for game-specific rules. Just that once implemented they need to be consistently handled.

Natiko

I disagree that it's a specific spoiler beforehand; all it tells plays is that something strange is going on with the game. But once we learn within the game that resurrection is possible (among other things, with the specific disappearance of players here), ending that rule is a spoiler. Obviously I was not involved in planning and prep for this game, since I was playing, so I was not involved in the handling of this, but I think there's plenty of room for game-specific rules. Just that once implemented they need to be consistently handled.
But in this instance resurrection was not even a focal point of the game. It’s not like Volcano Island where the entire crux of the game was built around an after death phase. Codifying it as a rule would’ve easily allowed it to be kept an actual surprise as opposed to it being openly expected prior to game start. It also would have avoided even the chance of ruining the game players enjoyment.

Pedro

I agree with you, Natiko, that it would have been a bigger surprise, but I disagree that rule 36 acted as a spoiler; it was vague enough just to raise people's expectations. And like Monkey said, lifting that rule once it was in place would definitely be a bigger problem.

Furthermore, the rule was requested by Geno himself, when he also said a dead thread for dead players didn't need to exist. Since none of us fully knew the design at that point we all agreed to those requests, and even if I had known the setup back then I'd have agreed to them as well.

Natiko

I’m not arguing he shouldn’t have been granted his rule. Any game runner that has a reasonable request should be accommodated since they’re taking the time to run it. This specific instance though felt different than other examples where the entire crux of a game demanded rule changes such as Volcano Island or even Love Boat. He definitely should have been granted his request, I was more thinking that it could be accounted for in general going forward instead though. There’s certainly a possibility that a more ‘normal’ game in the future could have a reviver role. In a non-bastard super crazy town game if that rule pops up it will almost assuredly spoil it.

Pedro

I wasn't either, I was only explaining how the rule came to be. I get your point now; I don't remember the last time we had a dead thread and a spec thread so the thought never crossed my mind, but if a similar mechanic appears in a future game I'll remember this convo with you.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Yeah, we've been discussing how to deal with reviver roles in general with all this in mind so do bring up any ideas/concerns/whatevers for sure.

Sorian

Neutral Ascetic 1-Shot BP SK Alignment Cop
Staff member
Don't talk about spectator threads publicly and that should solve the problem pretty easily. If a dead player requests access and the game doesn't allow it for whatever reason, they can just be told at that time.

Natiko

Don't talk about spectator threads publicly and that should solve the problem pretty easily. If a dead player requests access and the game doesn't allow it for whatever reason, they can just be told at that time.
Yeah, in general if you just advise people to not reference discussions from the spec thread or to openly invite players to it then anyone that exits a game and requests it you can just respond to them privately. Something along those lines would at least cover most bases.

Muffin

is being held hostage by Sammi
At the time we had the info from Includios that there was "1 scum and 1 neutral remaining." That was Muffin and Sorian. When the three disappeared came back, one of them had to be a non-town. Fandorin was NK'd, Sawneeks was green-checked early on. LP was all that was remaining.
Would have also been easy to look at my earlier posts about LP. Sorian was completely right there, I had it easier to pick out liars. And I said a few times that I didn't believe the GoT claim.

Sorian

Staff member
Would have also been easy to look at my earlier posts about LP. Sorian was completely right there, I had it easier to pick out liars. And I said a few times that I didn't believe the GoT claim.

I had so many moments of "this is exactly what happened but town hasn't actually put two and two together and I'm just going to get attention if I do it"

LIKE THE FACT THAT BRAZIL DIDNT SWITCH ME

I had so many moments of "this is exactly what happened but town hasn't actually put two and two together and I'm just going to get attention if I do it"

LIKE THE FACT THAT BRAZIL DIDNT SWITCH ME
It's so freaking weird that not a single soul tried to figure out what my item (which I had) did, while uberscum mechanics were all people were talking about.

@heymonkey

fun of the players is the main point. being able to shitpost in spec thread is part of the experience. there were more players dead and unable to share their thoughts than living ones, who has priority here?

Telling people to not talk about the spec thread should be sufficient.

I don't see how the handling of the dead/spec or shutting down shitposts made the experience more fun

Anyway my opinion tends to go against the stream here more often than not
Seems like no one else had a problem

Faddy

It's so freaking weird that not a single soul tried to figure out what my item (which I had) did, while uberscum mechanics were all people were talking about.

I think you have this wrong. They knew you had the Chaos Emerald, no one knew it was specifically your item. And the item didn't leave the game on your death either.

And town already knew it was in possession of a mafia member because FEP didn't have it on his death. Other than you having it there was nothing to suggest it was your item or what your upgrade power would be.

Faddy

@heymonkey

fun of the players is the main point. being able to shitpost in spec thread is part of the experience. there were more players dead and unable to share their thoughts than living ones, who has priority here?

I don't see how the handling of the dead/spec or shutting down shitposts made the experience more fun

I agree with you Gorlak. Once someone was 100% dead they should get a PM to enter the spec thread and told to not discuss it anywhere else.

That keeps the mechanics hidden and allows people to participate.

Sorian

Staff member
I think you have this wrong. They knew you had the Chaos Emerald, no one knew it was specifically your item. And the item didn't leave the game on your death either.

And town already knew it was in possession of a mafia member because FEP didn't have it on his death. Other than you having it there was nothing to suggest it was your item or what your upgrade power would be.

Except then I killed Tearable the next day and Geno specifically posted that Brazil could use the item and what it did and no one tried to figure it out since Geno was super vague.

Faddy

Except then I killed Tearable the next day and Geno specifically posted that Brazil could use the item and what it did and no one tried to figure it out since Geno was super vague.

It is still almost impossibe to guess what Brazil got from the Chaos Emerald. Something to make searching for Silver easier or literally a hundred other possibilities

Sorian

Staff member
It is still almost impossibe to guess what Brazil got from the Chaos Emerald. Something to make searching for Silver easier or literally a hundred other possibilities

What? Geno specifically said that it turned him into a Nexus, its just no one actually bothered to go look up what that meant.

Nah. Geno literally said the item could turn me "into Nexus Dr. Infinitevus", but there were only one or two passing comments about not knowing what that meant before the subject was dropped entirely.

Faddy

I think there was the same discussion in mafia chat. That no one knew Nexus was a role.

It was possible Nexus was a name modifier like (Black) Hayato(sp?) for Lifeline/Natiko. It was an oversight for town but a minor one.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
fun of the players is the main point.
But it's not as simple as fun/not fun. Fun of active players or players who could be brought back trumps spec thread fun and has to be first priority.

I agree with you Gorlak. Once someone was 100% dead they should get a PM to enter the spec thread and told to not discuss it anywhere else.
I do agree with this - there were definitely people who could have been let into spec as opportunities for rez disappeared. Overseers are discussing some of the ideas that have been presented here now. As for what and how things were done here, can't speak to that, as I was involved in the planning or handling.

Sawneeks

little green dog
What? Geno specifically said that it turned him into a Nexus, its just no one actually bothered to go look up what that meant.

Nah. Geno literally said the item could turn me "into Nexus Dr. Infinitevus", but there were only one or two passing comments about not knowing what that meant before the subject was dropped entirely.

To be honest it sounded like a name, not a modifier for a role. "Nexus Dr. Infinitevus" sounds like a Sonic villain name.

Sawneeks

little green dog
@heymonkey

So I wasn't in that discussion/modchat about keeping people out of spec thread and take this with a grain of salt.

From what it looked like to me, dead players obviously couldn't go to spec because of the potential for revival. Once it was discovered that revival was a mechanic, the knowledge that people can come back is always a possibility in living player's minds. To suddenly remove the restriction of denying access to the Spec Thread can give enough hints to living Players that there will be no more Revival Mechanics, meaning there is no point for dead players to be held in limbo. This could also change potential actions/beliefs of living Players and thus influence the game.

The simplest solution to this, at least in my mind, would be to privately add people to the Spec Thread once the chance for revival is just gone. However, that would also mean monitoring dead players and stopping them from shitposting in the OT and sometimes even the game thread itself to let people know they are in Spec.

And you aren't the only one to say this, Gorlak. We always appreciate the input to make things work out for the better. :>

Natiko

I mean as long as they don’t reference the spec thread it would be fine. You can still follow along as a dead player regardless so making references to the happenings in the game wouldn’t violate that.

Sorian

Staff member
I encourage the dead in my game to shit post during twilight and post reaction gifs after every flip :P

Pedro

We've been talking through most of the week about how to handle the spectator thread, and access to it, in games like HvV moving forward. Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions~

In general, things will remain like they are now; players are free to post in the OT, PM someone in the Outer Mafia team or their gamerunner to request access to it.
If a future game features a revival power, an extra thread, or any other sort of mechanic where players might be able to go back to the game after being killed, we will add a rule to it similar to the one in HvV, and handling requests for spec threads privately.
This way, players won't know if someone gained access and the game won't be compromised. We will also make sure any mention of the spec thread or its contents remain in it.

As to whether or not players will be granted access, that will depend on the mechanic in place, but once there's no chance for dead players to return to the game they will all be able to join.

We've been talking through most of the week about how to handle the spectator thread, and access to it, in games like HvV moving forward. Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions~

In general, things will remain like they are now; players are free to post in the OT, PM someone in the Outer Mafia team or their gamerunner to request access to it.
If a future game features a revival power, an extra thread, or any other sort of mechanic where players might be able to go back to the game after being killed, we will add a rule to it similar to the one in HvV, and handling requests for spec threads privately.
This way, players won't know if someone gained access and the game won't be compromised. We will also make sure any mention of the spec thread or its contents remain in it.

As to whether or not players will be granted access, that will depend on the mechanic in place, but once there's no chance for dead players to return to the game they will all be able to join.

It's perfect, thanks.

Top Bottom