Pair Thread The Sleeping Quarters - Night 2 Chat (Hawthorn/Verelios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Night Chat,

And will you keep it down? trying to sleep in here!

This one should have two people in it.

Last edited:

Verelios

Were-elios
Wassup Haw Haw. Just to let you know I won the daily challenge (whatever that was) and picked you as my pair partner. I felt like you were the best choice from the away group o/.

Verelios

Were-elios
Also, to lay all our cards on the table, you don't have to tell me your watch target beyond if you want to corroborate it in thread. It's not likely you or I will believe the other is being truthful if we get infected.

Now that that's out of the way, HP came up non-infected. Why did you believe him until the last?

Hawthorn

I'll explain my reasons later
Hi Vere!

I'm honored to be chosen.

I've pretty much decided to trust you in this chat, but let me explain my reasons:

First, because I was town-reading you, or at least not suspecting you.

Second, because I think there's a good chance that infection is a day or twilight command, meaning that if you had infected me I would already know it. Now, I've been partly convinced by the argument that that would make other night powers useless -- but the person who made that argument was you. If you are mafia, and infection resolves at the end of the night, I don't think you would have tried to convince me of that.

Finally, there's a bit of a paradox to the fact that, whatever your alignment, it's almost certain we'll be teammates by the end of the night, one way or another. In the scenario where you infect me, do I owe more loyalty now to my town alignment or to future-Thing-Hawthorn? It's an interesting ethical dilemma, but I'm pretty sure you're town, so I'm not going to worry about it.

HP claimed neutral survivor. I just didn't see mafia coming out with that as a fake claim, when there were so many options including refusing to claim at all. He claimed that he does not have any anti-town powers and can only win with town -- and whether that's true or not, I just don't care about killing neutrals. If infection works like I think it does, the only way for town to win is to get an edge early.

I haven't decided on my watch target yet, but I probably will tell you.

Now I have some questions for you. Was your claim truthful? Is it true that no one claimed in the home team thread? And what was the daily challenge?

Verelios

Were-elios
Thanks for trusting me Haw. I've always thought that basic trust is necessary for a chat to work, and if you can take out all the extraneous problems like night actions and role information, everyone and anyone can get along fine.

I'm not infected, and I'm hoping you're not either otherwise this is a big oops for me. Like you said, since I can't effect it either way, I'll just go with the flow and get along with you as we'll be on the same team regardless.

My claim today was truthful. I'm a dog, Alaskan Marmalute (Malamute) and no one but Chuggs claimed in home chat. In fact, Chuggs only claimed because we were pressing him on why he didn't go with the away team and he put that out as a possible reason why.

I haven't the slightest clue about the daily challenge, I was just told I won it. So I'm assuming it's kind of like a hidden achievement.

HP being a neutral survivor is interesting. I wish you guys had told us he claimed neutral, we could have thought about the last minute swerve more. That would explain some of his behavior today and it wouldn't have made his comment too damning.

What are your reads on day end? Chuggs gave me a weird feeling. It was like...he was too jumpy. It's causing me to re-think my read on him, but I also believe it's likely that something effected him to make him stay in Home team. I dunno. Nat is causing me to worry. I disagree with how he wants to play this. Like...just the information disparity between Home team and Away team caused us to split at day end. Did away team think about that at all?

I guess the split did it's work strangely. I do feel more close to Home team, likely because it seems like the away team wants to be estranged. I know, I know, we're all town but it's not really a good feeling. In terms of reads, I'm feeling good about you, Hedin, Loki and Kyan to an extent.

Hawthorn

That's curious about the daily challenge. I had thought it would be some kind of mini-game or something. Any thoughts on what in your posts would have prompted it?

I guess I didn't feel it was my place to out HP's claim. Blarg already kind of hinted at it, and I don't know what other kind of claim would be so unlikely to be made by mafia, so I feel like the pieces were there as well. I can see why you say we should have said something, though.

I think the last-minute swerve to HP was pretty suspicious. There were so many arguments all day that we should test a dog, even those who were against flavor-solving were like "fine, whatever, if you say so we'll test a dog". Then there was this bizarre swerve to clearly-not-a-dog HP, based on what? Inaccurate flavor analysis that he owned up to?

In retrospect, Chuggs REALLY didn't want to be tested. He did everything he did to get out of it: pretending he was chill about it, arguing that it was a waste of the day, getting aggressive, flinging accusations at others. Pretty much like someone fighting for their life. And in the end he succeeded. IMO he probably won't much be looked at tomorrow, because the dread of a retread usually causes the momentum to swing away from the person who was a huge focus of D1. No one will want to relitigate the test-Chuggs conversation and those who do will be accused of being obsessed with flavor. So yeah, I'm much more suspicious of Chuggs now.

The not going on the away team thing ... I keep going back and forth on what I think of it. It's true it doesn't make much sense as a mafia power as presented, but all I can think is that whatever happened, whether it was an action by Chuggs or another player, it has to have been just one aspect of the action. "Your power is to make yourself/another player appear on the wrong team according to votes, should there be a day when the players are split into two teams based on votes, by the way that day is D1" just doesn't seem like something ATP and Zipped would be excited to write in a role pm. We have incomplete information on what happened to Chuggs, and without complete information it's hard to tell whether it seems like a mafia action or town action, and a self- or other- focused action. So it neither clears Chuggs nor implicates him.

Looking at the rest of the HP voters, besides you:
-I already had a bad feeling about Random from D1, so I want to take a closer look at him.
-Hedin I feel basically ok about, since he was against testing the dogs earlier and his frustration at the lack of leads felt genuine.
-Loki was one of the main drivers of the narrative that assuming 5 dogs was some kind of Machiavellian ploy. I don't like the case she made against HP at all. I liked her other posts, and her resistance to the away team vs home team framing, but EoD was alarming enough that I want to watch her.
-Natiko was a self-preservation vote, basically, but something did feel off about his behavior. I am not good at reading him.
-nin has been completely checked out. There was one game where he was mafia and acted kind of like that. Was it mario karts? I can't put my finger on it. It seemed like he voted for HP basically out of inertia. "OK, the thread seems to be going this way, I'll go along with it" was his attitude. Go with the flow. He has been busy lately IIRC, so I'm not going to say it's a scum tell, more that it's something to watch.
-Finally, Mazre. Had gut reads earlier against Hedin and Ambulance ... what? Was anti-dog-test earlier, like Hedin, so I don't find his vote for HP inconsistent.

I guess I come out of EoD suspecting Chuggs, Loki, and Random, then maybe Nat and nin, and of course still Z-Beat.

I guess the split did it's work strangely. I do feel more close to Home team, likely because it seems like the away team wants to be estranged. I know, I know, we're all town but it's not really a good feeling. In terms of reads, I'm feeling good about you, Hedin, Loki and Kyan to an extent.

I guess there's some natural camaraderie that comes from being in a thread together, but the away team vs. home team squabbles went way beyond that and I was not a fan of it. I know that Maol and Nat have more aggressive play styles than I do, and they were probably trying to get people off balance to make reads or something, but it ended up just injecting random suspicion. They and Chuggs were the main aggressors in the home vs. away team gang war IIRC, but I was out of commission/checking in on mobile for large chunks of that day. Do you see anyone as having pushed for the division between the teams? How do you think that developed?

Also, do you agree that we should look at HP voters, and what are your thoughts on them?

Finally an RL note. I'm going up to Vermont for the long weekend with friends, to a cabin that we've been assured has wifi, but I might be gone for longer stretches starting about 3PM UTC tomorrow. I'm sure we'll talk in this thread more before start of day, but in case I forget to say: please feel free to say that we were in a night thread together. I probably won't be around right at start of day.

Verelios

Were-elios
That's curious about the daily challenge. I had thought it would be some kind of mini-game or something. Any thoughts on what in your posts would have prompted it?
[/QUOTE]
If I had to hazard a guess, maybe because I was the first to notice the edited in daily challenge?
I guess I didn't feel it was my place to out HP's claim. Blarg already kind of hinted at it, and I don't know what other kind of claim would be so unlikely to be made by mafia, so I feel like the pieces were there as well. I can see why you say we should have said something, though.
I'm going to have to disappoint you, I didn't think in that direction. Or rather, I thought that the possibility of neutrals was very much likely but didn't think that would be the reason for your group to move back on HP.
I think the last-minute swerve to HP was pretty suspicious. There were so many arguments all day that we should test a dog, even those who were against flavor-solving were like "fine, whatever, if you say so we'll test a dog". Then there was this bizarre swerve to clearly-not-a-dog HP, based on what? Inaccurate flavor analysis that he owned up to?
Going to disagree here. I was never just going to vote a dog without much reason, and from the last 4 hours I think a majority of the thread would agree that we moved on from that vote reasoning. Chuggs and Nat being the leading votes for a time is incidental to them being dogs. The HP vote...yeah, it was mainly because he peddled that 5 dog theory. I don't buy the mathematics, that's bullshit. There's no way to reasonably tell from 3 dogs that there are 5 and therefore 12 humans. Ultimately we were wrong. We didn't have the information to know why.
In retrospect, Chuggs REALLY didn't want to be tested. He did everything he did to get out of it: pretending he was chill about it, arguing that it was a waste of the day, getting aggressive, flinging accusations at others. Pretty much like someone fighting for their life. And in the end he succeeded. IMO he probably won't much be looked at tomorrow, because the dread of a retread usually causes the momentum to swing away from the person who was a huge focus of D1. No one will want to relitigate the test-Chuggs conversation and those who do will be accused of being obsessed with flavor. So yeah, I'm much more suspicious of Chuggs now.
That sums up where I am quite well. Chuggs had a surprisingly large reaction to getting voted. It's D1. We're more likely to flubb it and get a non infected townie. There should be pushback to looking for someone suss but it shouldn't be so strong.
The not going on the away team thing ... I keep going back and forth on what I think of it. It's true it doesn't make much sense as a mafia power as presented, but all I can think is that whatever happened, whether it was an action by Chuggs or another player, it has to have been just one aspect of the action. "Your power is to make yourself/another player appear on the wrong team according to votes, should there be a day when the players are split into two teams based on votes, by the way that day is D1" just doesn't seem like something ATP and Zipped would be excited to write in a role pm. We have incomplete information on what happened to Chuggs, and without complete information it's hard to tell whether it seems like a mafia action or town action, and a self- or other- focused action. So it neither clears Chuggs nor implicates him.
That's about right. At least I don't think he did it to himself, but it may very well be a part of his role and could mean he was lying about being vanilla.
Looking at the rest of the HP voters, besides you:
-I already had a bad feeling about Random from D1, so I want to take a closer look at him.
-Hedin I feel basically ok about, since he was against testing the dogs earlier and his frustration at the lack of leads felt genuine.
-Loki was one of the main drivers of the narrative that assuming 5 dogs was some kind of Machiavellian ploy. I don't like the case she made against HP at all. I liked her other posts, and her resistance to the away team vs home team framing, but EoD was alarming enough that I want to watch her.
-Natiko was a self-preservation vote, basically, but something did feel off about his behavior. I am not good at reading him.
-nin has been completely checked out. There was one game where he was mafia and acted kind of like that. Was it mario karts? I can't put my finger on it. It seemed like he voted for HP basically out of inertia. "OK, the thread seems to be going this way, I'll go along with it" was his attitude. Go with the flow. He has been busy lately IIRC, so I'm not going to say it's a scum tell, more that it's something to watch.
-Finally, Mazre. Had gut reads earlier against Hedin and Ambulance ... what? Was anti-dog-test earlier, like Hedin, so I don't find his vote for HP inconsistent.

I guess I come out of EoD suspecting Chuggs, Loki, and Random, then maybe Nat and nin, and of course still Z-Beat.
That's a varied list. So how do you feel about Maol and Kyan after today?
I guess there's some natural camaraderie that comes from being in a thread together, but the away team vs. home team squabbles went way beyond that and I was not a fan of it. I know that Maol and Nat have more aggressive play styles than I do, and they were probably trying to get people off balance to make reads or something, but it ended up just injecting random suspicion. They and Chuggs were the main aggressors in the home vs. away team gang war IIRC, but I was out of commission/checking in on mobile for large chunks of that day. Do you see anyone as having pushed for the division between the teams? How do you think that developed?
Well, in my opinion here are the radicals that want to force a team split for game purposes:
Maol
Nat
HP
Blarg

Here are the fence sitters who don't care about what's happening:
Neki
Ambulance
Z-Beat

Here are the people that see what's happening, softly try to stop it but ultimately fail to course correct:
Kyan
Haw
Also, do you agree that we should look at HP voters, and what are your thoughts on them?
I think we should look at intent. Why did people go to HP? Why did people go to Nat over HP? What percentage of them were in the Away vs Home team? It's not going to be as simple as looking at the HP voters.

Do you think we shouldn't look at the influx of Nat votes late?
Finally an RL note. I'm going up to Vermont for the long weekend with friends, to a cabin that we've been assured has wifi, but I might be gone for longer stretches starting about 3PM UTC tomorrow. I'm sure we'll talk in this thread more before start of day, but in case I forget to say: please feel free to say that we were in a night thread together. I probably won't be around right at start of day.
That's cool, have fun and don't worry. I'll fill the thread in on us being chat partners if you're late. Vermont is a lovely place. Was there on vacation the year after my University graduation and it was a nice time, so enjoy yourself.

Hawthorn

If I had to hazard a guess, maybe because I was the first to notice the edited in daily challenge?

I bet that's it.

I'm going to have to disappoint you, I didn't think in that direction. Or rather, I thought that the possibility of neutrals was very much likely but didn't think that would be the reason for your group to move back on HP.

Well, it probably only seemed clear to me because I already knew about it. Either way, revealing it wasn't something that I seriously considered.

Going to disagree here. I was never just going to vote a dog without much reason, and from the last 4 hours I think a majority of the thread would agree that we moved on from that vote reasoning. Chuggs and Nat being the leading votes for a time is incidental to them being dogs. The HP vote...yeah, it was mainly because he peddled that 5 dog theory. I don't buy the mathematics, that's bullshit. There's no way to reasonably tell from 3 dogs that there are 5 and therefore 12 humans. Ultimately we were wrong. We didn't have the information to know why.

There are two explanations for how arrived at the five dogs number, if I recall correctly. One, he remembered that there are five dogs in the movie, because there are five in the very memorable and disturbing scene where the Thing is locked in the cage with the other four dogs. Seems natural to me that that scene would stick with someone and they wouldn't think about there being other dogs in the movie. Second, the explanation HP stuck with, is that he counted the number of human characters in the movie, added himself (from the prequel), subtracted from the number of players, and arrived at five. It's tortured logic, but recognizable to me as the kind of tortured logic that town regularly engage in when trying to flavor-solve.

What was supposed to be the alternative? That mafia secretly knew the number of dogs and decided not only to go public with this info but to make a HUGE deal about it? It didn't work. I think many of the late HP voters were town, switching to whatever seemed like a smoking gun out of hope that a discrepency meant something, but (and I'm not certain about this, but I'm entertaining the possibility) some of them were Things trying to control the direction of the vote and push the 5 dogs narrative to be more than it was.

Why? It would have had to have been to save either Chuggs or Natiko. They were getting close to both being vote leaders, to the point where typical EoD vote swings could have landed on either. I don't think we can say which of them benefitted more from the abrupt swing to HP.

It looks like we both agree that Chuggs is fairly suspicious. Nat, I don't feel great about either, especially since as you said he was one of the ones to sow discord between the so-called "teams."

That's a varied list. So how do you feel about Maol and Kyan after today?

I feel better about Kyan than Maol. Maol benefits from my meta read, because I remember him liking to be cautious as mafia and not try crazy gambits. In my mind, a mafia
Maol who wanted people to claim in the night thread would have waited for someone else to suggest it then slowly "become convinced." His behavior during the day, though, I don't have as strong a read on, so it's possible he was infected after N1.

Kyan has seemed fairly townie, and as I said in accordance with the role he claimed in the night chat, but I wouldn't really say that it's a "town read". More of not a scum read.

I think we should look at intent. Why did people go to HP? Why did people go to Nat over HP? What percentage of them were in the Away vs Home team? It's not going to be as simple as looking at the HP voters.

This sounds like a good idea, but honestly something that requires more time than I have this morning to comb through the votes. I support you doing it! XD

To me the HP voters are more suspicious than the late Nat voters for a couple reasons:
-Nat was already suspected earlier, so it feels like it made more sense that there was a swing to him.
-The swing to HP could have been to save Nat instead of Chugg, since Chugg was putting up a strong defense and Nat was the second vote leader.

Finally, about my watch target: If my goal is infection, I don't want to watch anyone I seriously suspect of being The Thing, since I won't learn anything by others acting on them. I don't want to watch you for the same reason: I strongly suspect that one can only infect a night chat partner.

I'm thinking maybe I actually shouldn't tell you, on the very unlikely chance that you are mafia AND unable to infect me. I would tell you if I thought it would help, but I don't see much of a reason. So, I'm going to keep it private for the time being, if you don't mind.

Hawthorn

That's cool, have fun and don't worry. I'll fill the thread in on us being chat partners if you're late. Vermont is a lovely place. Was there on vacation the year after my University graduation and it was a nice time, so enjoy yourself.

Also, thanks! Pretty excited for it.

Hawthorn

Also, I feel that I'm being too free with info and I could be putting this directly into the hands of the mafia team, but odds are that they already know, or will know soon, and I do think you're town, so I'm going to risk it. I'll atone later if spec thread decides that all this claiming threw the game for town.

Kyan claimed vig. He speculated over who to shoot, and one of the possible targets was EC, so I think he tried to shoot EC last night and was blocked, as so many people were blocked. I'm going to ask you NOT to put this information out there in the main thread, on the off chance that mafia doesn't have it already, and hope that if he shoots again tonight he hits a Thing.

It could be a fake claim, but ... why? You'd have to prove it sooner or later. Anyway, that's a big part of why I town read him.

Verelios

Were-elios
Also, I feel that I'm being too free with info and I could be putting this directly into the hands of the mafia team, but odds are that they already know, or will know soon, and I do think you're town, so I'm going to risk it. I'll atone later if spec thread decides that all this claiming threw the game for town.

Kyan claimed vig. He speculated over who to shoot, and one of the possible targets was EC, so I think he tried to shoot EC last night and was blocked, as so many people were blocked. I'm going to ask you NOT to put this information out there in the main thread, on the off chance that mafia doesn't have it already, and hope that if he shoots again tonight he hits a Thing.

It could be a fake claim, but ... why? You'd have to prove it sooner or later. Anyway, that's a big part of why I town read him.
Yeah, I'll keep that to myself, thanks for trusting me with that info. I somewhat doubt that some of home team won't learn the same thing if they're paired with an away member but it's a reasonable suggestion. It also makes me more at ease with Kyan and explains some of his more carefree mannerisms yesterday.

Just speculating, but why do you think most of the away team was blocked? Was it the storm or player involved in your opinion?

Verelios

Were-elios
I bet that's it.

Well, it probably only seemed clear to me because I already knew about it. Either way, revealing it wasn't something that I seriously considered.

There are two explanations for how arrived at the five dogs number, if I recall correctly. One, he remembered that there are five dogs in the movie, because there are five in the very memorable and disturbing scene where the Thing is locked in the cage with the other four dogs. Seems natural to me that that scene would stick with someone and they wouldn't think about there being other dogs in the movie. Second, the explanation HP stuck with, is that he counted the number of human characters in the movie, added himself (from the prequel), subtracted from the number of players, and arrived at five. It's tortured logic, but recognizable to me as the kind of tortured logic that town regularly engage in when trying to flavor-solve.

What was supposed to be the alternative? That mafia secretly knew the number of dogs and decided not only to go public with this info but to make a HUGE deal about it? It didn't work. I think many of the late HP voters were town, switching to whatever seemed like a smoking gun out of hope that a discrepency meant something, but (and I'm not certain about this, but I'm entertaining the possibility) some of them were Things trying to control the direction of the vote and push the 5 dogs narrative to be more than it was.
In my mind I did think he must have had inside information about the number of dogs. I could have been wrong but it made the most sense to me.
Why? It would have had to have been to save either Chuggs or Natiko. They were getting close to both being vote leaders, to the point where typical EoD vote swings could have landed on either. I don't think we can say which of them benefitted more from the abrupt swing to HP.

It looks like we both agree that Chuggs is fairly suspicious. Nat, I don't feel great about either, especially since as you said he was one of the ones to sow discord between the so-called "teams."
Well, I think if most of the late Nat voters were from the Away team, that would make sense because you know HPs claim. If some home team jumped on...well, that's an interesting set of circumstances.
I feel better about Kyan than Maol. Maol benefits from my meta read, because I remember him liking to be cautious as mafia and not try crazy gambits. In my mind, a mafia
Maol who wanted people to claim in the night thread would have waited for someone else to suggest it then slowly "become convinced." His behavior during the day, though, I don't have as strong a read on, so it's possible he was infected after N1.

Kyan has seemed fairly townie, and as I said in accordance with the role he claimed in the night chat, but I wouldn't really say that it's a "town read". More of not a scum read.
Thanks. I'm wavering on Maol myself. On one hand, he's often contrary. On the other, his plan to action was terrible. How did his aggression plan work out? Not well at all.
This sounds like a good idea, but honestly something that requires more time than I have this morning to comb through the votes. I support you doing it! XD
Haha, I'm sure someone already has a long pre-typed post with all the analysis ready for day start. I'm not stressing it.
To me the HP voters are more suspicious than the late Nat voters for a couple reasons:
-Nat was already suspected earlier, so it feels like it made more sense that there was a swing to him.
-The swing to HP could have been to save Nat instead of Chugg, since Chugg was putting up a strong defense and Nat was the second vote leader.
It could be. I'm sure it'll be brought up today but not sure how much value we'll get out of it seeing as most of us are still town. We'll have to look for the odd ones out on that.
Finally, about my watch target: If my goal is infection, I don't want to watch anyone I seriously suspect of being The Thing, since I won't learn anything by others acting on them. I don't want to watch you for the same reason: I strongly suspect that one can only infect a night chat partner.

I'm thinking maybe I actually shouldn't tell you, on the very unlikely chance that you are mafia AND unable to infect me. I would tell you if I thought it would help, but I don't see much of a reason. So, I'm going to keep it private for the time being, if you don't mind.
Yeah, np. You shouldn't tell me if you're unsure, that's the most important reason.

But I'm not following why you don't want to follow anyone suspected of being the thing. Aren't they the infector? They'd move right?

Hawthorn

But I'm not following why you don't want to follow anyone suspected of being the thing. Aren't they the infector? They'd move right?
I see the people who act on my target, not my target’s actions, so I’d have to watch someone who’s an infection target.

good points otherwise. Sorry I can’t respond point by point but I really appreciate having your analysis.

Verelios

Were-elios
I see the people who act on my target, not my target’s actions, so I’d have to watch someone who’s an infection target.

good points otherwise. Sorry I can’t respond point by point but I really appreciate having your analysis.
Oh, wow, I assumed you would also watch if the target moved. My mistake, and it was good chatting with you Haw Haw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom