WINTER IS HERE

Pedro

The Last Airbender is actually a great movie
yn

_kS9FcPWKdO64YeRQA13.png

Jun 1 2017 at 7:20pm

sheet is here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G9YqS9LLMnj-fIhYTxJgMMl_JRzq2BV9OmtFEjtX074/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 1 2017 at 11:59pm

Oh! Sample role PM:

Welcome, my lord, to the World of Ice and Fire!

You are Hodor. A simple farm boy from the northern keep of Winterfell, you have lived your life caring for the Stark family. No one really knows why, but all you say is "Hodor". A massive giant of a man, you are strong, loyal, and above all else, will always hold the door.

You are ordinary. While you do not have any special powers, you can still vote and fight for the realm!

You worship the Old Gods, the mystical deities of the North. Heart trees, with their red leaves and pale faces, connect you to the natural world around you, although no one truly knows where they came from.

You are aligned with the Seven Kingdoms (that’s town).

You win when all threats to the realm have been eliminated.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 2 2017 at 12:15am

WAMD has a decent amount of flavor that isn't listed on the spreadsheet currently. More than just the sample posted, but I don't know how relevant that is for the reviewers at this stage.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 2 2017 at 12:23am

I'm going to try and finish up this weekend.

When are you guys looking to start this?

Pedro

franconp

peter-griffin-han-solo.jpg

Jun 2 2017 at 12:26am

Hi both of you!!

I'm reviewing this. Will check it out during the weekend and post some questions here.

I think there are already 3/4 games approved but no idea when this will run.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 7:41am

I just glanced over the game but I have a few comments:

- You should add an action order in the spreadsheet. It will make it easier for reviewing and also for running the game.
- Some players are missing a religion. Is that ok or it's just missing?
- Not a fan of RNG. It takes control out of players and give it to luck.
- Scum is too underpowered.
- That's not what a Godfather do. You should change the name to NK Inmmune.
- There is a Tanner? I need to think about that.

Will check it out in more detail later.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 10:04am

I also noticed that this is a cosplay game but the names don't show aligment.

It would be a good idea to say so in the game. You don't want people killing a town lannister just because he has that name.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 10:08am

Jun 2 2017 at 12:15am natiko said:
WAMD has a decent amount of flavor that isn't listed on the spreadsheet currently. More than just the sample posted, but I don't know how relevant that is for the reviewers at this stage.
Flavor is just flavor. It doesn't matter unless you are planning to provide hints of the game there.

I could help checking the role's PM to see if they are easy to understand. You can paste them into a google doc and share the link.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 2 2017 at 2:00pm via mobile

Jun 2 2017 at 7:41am franconp said:
I just glanced over the game but I have a few comments:

- You should add an action order in the spreadsheet. It will make it easier for reviewing and also for running the game.
- Some players are missing a religion. Is that ok or it's just missing?
- Not a fan of RNG. It takes control out of players and give it to luck.
- Scum is too underpowered.
- That's not what a Godfather do. You should change the name to NK Inmmune.
- There is a Tanner? I need to think about that.

Will check it out in more detail later.

OG is so bad on mobile for quoting. I'll try and respond to everything:
1. Okay, I'll work on that this weekend. I'll have to reference Ouro's guide.
2. It's just missing currently as it's partially tied to flavor. I can tell you that tentatively scum will only have representatives of two of the five religions by default I think. 4/5 religions will have 6 people each. The neutral SK dopple will be the only person representing the fifth religion (Many faced god).
3. Is this in reference to deflector, religion, or both? Open to suggestions on the religion aspect. Deflector we would just need to replace outright or make a targeted thing instead of random.
4. Suggestions? What if we make the Janitor a JOAT with janitor shots, strong kill shots, and roleblocks? Do you think 4+1 recruit is enough?
5. The Godfather is a godfather and passes checks but ALSO is NK immune.
6. I expected it to be one of the most questionable roles. If it needs to be changed we can come up with alternatives.

Jun 2 2017 at 10:04am franconp said:
I also noticed that this is a cosplay game but the names don't show aligment.

It would be a good idea to say so in the game. You don't want people killing a town lannister just because he has that name.
That's a good point, we will need to make sure to do that.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 2:47pm

I would say yes, change the Tanner.

Tanner is a bastard role. You would need to advertise the game as bastard. You can't use a role like that without giving the players a warning.

Beside that, Tanner is a shitty role. It's really unfair to the player who gets it. They have a really easy win condition but they have to suicide to achieve it. Imagine if you where hoping to play the game and you end up forced you to kill yourself to win. It's not fun at all.

If that's not enought think what would happen if someone like squidy gets the role. He will hunt both of you in your sleeps.

I recommend to drop it.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 2 2017 at 2:51pm via mobile

I have a feeling it's going to be listed as bastard anyways, but yeah it is a bit cheap. I'll ponder on what can be slotted in instead.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 2:55pm

What do you think about this:

The tanner is Melisandre. How about making her the only one in the Red God religuion and she needs to convert at least half of the remaining players to her religuion to win. Every night she can convert one player.

To make the winning condition possible you could make all of his followers bodyguards. If she is targeted for a NK the first converted will die instead, then the second and so on. So she can't be NK as long as she has followers.

This is just an idea. I didn't checked how it would work with the religuion mechanic.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 2 2017 at 8:44pm via mobile

Hmm, I think we would need to retool and reduce the number of religions for that but it's an idea. All of them being bodyguards might be broken though lol There would need to be a drawback.

Pedro

yn

_kS9FcPWKdO64YeRQA13.png

Jun 2 2017 at 9:13pm

tanners are bad bad bad

they are game throwing jerks

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 9:57pm

Jun 2 2017 at 8:44pm natiko said:
Hmm, I think we would need to retool and reduce the number of religions for that but it's an idea. All of them being bodyguards might be broken though lol There would need to be a drawback.
I just thought that to avoid Melissandre be NK, she obviously can be lynched or killed if she doesn't have any more followers. The condition I said is hard, so she should have some leverage.

Also it could be a 2 edged sword for scum. They could try to NK melissandre and instead hit one of their own.

Anyway, there is one thing that both of you have to understand:

This is YOUR game. We are only here to help and advise but the game is still yours. So you are the ones who makes the decisions here.

Jun 2 2017 at 9:13pm yn said:
tanners are bad bad bad

they are game throwing jerks
Yn you never said there will be tanners here. Why are you doing this to me???

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 2 2017 at 10:10pm via mobile

You're right in that we can come up with something more unique than just a tanner that takes someone with them. I'm just hesitant about having two people be able to recruit. What I was considering is a neutral mel that has to find a specific person and upon finding them...that's the part I'm not sure on. The obvious thing would be kill them and win but that's not all that unique. I'll keep thinking on it.

Pedro

yn

_kS9FcPWKdO64YeRQA13.png

Jun 2 2017 at 10:27pm

franco, i didnt see the sheet at first !!!

(also i enjoy being horrible!!!)

update: SWAMPED has been assigned as your SECOND reviewer, natichan and dragi :>

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 10:54pm

Jun 2 2017 at 10:10pm natiko said:
You're right in that we can come up with something more unique than just a tanner that takes someone with them. I'm just hesitant about having two people be able to recruit. What I was considering is a neutral mel that has to find a specific person and upon finding them...that's the part I'm not sure on. The obvious thing would be kill them and win but that's not all that unique. I'll keep thinking on it.
About that....

Remember when I said that scum seems underpowered? One of my issues is with the recruiter. The problem with the scum recruiter is that if he is lynched D1 or killed before he finds an ordinary town you have really cripped scum. They lose 2 members (the recruiter and the possible 5th member) at the start of the game. They could start day 2 with only 2 members (if arya target scum N1).

The scum recruiter I feel is too much of a risk for scum. His role is so important that if he dies early the balance of the game can be completly lost. It could be much easier to add a fifth member and give scum a bit more power (which they are lacking, but will adress that when I look more of the design later).

Pedro

franconp

Jun 2 2017 at 11:58pm via mobile

Could work. But scum is already underpower as it is. Maybe a team ability?

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 3 2017 at 1:08am via mobile

My original plan was to maybe make scum the others and wights, but there isn't really a religion I could slot them into and if I give them all the same one they would just all vote for each other and guarantee that they get a gift

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 3 2017 at 1:47pm via mobile

What all do you think needs to be done to balance the factions better? On the spreadsheet I had one idea of making the Janitor a JOAT which could help some. We could maybe let there be two recruits possible say the recruiter can recruit a roleblocker while the JOAT would recruit a scum goon? Makes the investigative scum role even more useful then. JOAT could be like x shot janitor, x shot strong kill (either a modify on the normal kill or an additional kill), and 1 shot recruit of vanilla town. I also purposefully didn't put any trackers in at all so scum won't get caught out in night actions.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 3 2017 at 2:21pm

Some thoughts:

Town:

- The jailer: He loses his power if he hits town? It seems too op as it's also a 1-shot cop. If the player doesn't lose his power after his first use he know his target is scum. Even if he loses he would have a green check. There are already cops in the game. It would be better to make him just x-shot (2 or 3 maybe).
- Bodyguard: OK
- Back up cop: Is he also a gossip?
- Weak Cop/Gossip: So if he target scum dies and if he target town gets a secret chat? Could work. What if he target neutrals?
- Vote limiter: Don't go for the survivor option. It's too much. If you decide to go for the thunderdome make it 3 or more players. You could add a restriction to include himself in the thunderdome.
- Doctor: Is x-shots or unlimited? I would leave out the notification. It's too op if scum doesnt' have strong shots.
- Override: OK (I love this role, such madness). What would happen with the vote limiter? Also 1-shot right?
- Religion Triple Voter: It's ok but should be x-shot. Too op if not.
- Religion Overrider: OK
- Reflector: x-shot right? Night actions only? What happens with NKs? Weak cop? Jailer? Also I would lose the randomess. Can be copied?
- Mason/Lovers: It's ok. Lovers seems better. Scum needs some help.
- Ordinary: OK.

Scum:

They need some buffs. They are really weak. They need x-shot strongkill to help against the doctor.

- Janitor: Not a fan of janitor in general. If he is a janitor don't share anything with his kill. Not even his role. If you make it a JOAT you could give him 1 janitor kill modifier where he can kill a target (a modifier not extra kill) and will not show results with the death.
- Cop: It's kinda a useless role. I don't see how knowing the religion of a player could help scum. This is the role that could give scum some more power.
- Godfather: So if he is target by weak cop the weak cop won't die? He also can't be killed by Arya? Seems kinda OK. Should look at it further.
- Recruiter: Not a fan of the role. Needs some sort of backup because if he dies before using his power scum lose too much.

Neutrals:

- Tanner: Kill it with fire!!!!ca
- Doppleganger: I would elimitate the assassinate command and just leave the coping (keep the killing of the copied). Make the copied abilities one shot only and maybe he can't copy a new ability before using the one she already has. Optional condition is too hard. Should just make her a survivor.

Religion Mechanic:

Too much RNG. Have to still look more into it.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 3 2017 at 4:34pm via mobile

How would you go about buffing scum? I'm just asking because I'm super out of ideas

Pedro

franconp

Jun 3 2017 at 4:51pm

They need someone to counter the doctor, so an x-shot strongkill is a good idea.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 3 2017 at 5:08pm via mobile

I'll respond when I'm on my laptop next. The way quotes work on mobile here is not great.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 3 2017 at 5:09pm

Ok, noted. I think your criticisms to the jailor are also fair, so I will change that. Right now, he has the power to execute, and will lose that ability if he kills a town. Just for clarification.

Making Arya a survivor is also good.

Other things:

- the override is indeed 1-shot. Their role will not be revealed to the town, but whoever is lynched will flip as normal. They will have to claim and make a case the next day.
- the lovers as I have them right now will die together
- the cop and doc are both 2-shot
- will add a strongman
- deflector cannot be copied. right now it's a psssive role and will deflect to another player. We can make it like an odd night deflector or whatever, but as of right now the target is not selected by the delfecot.

will look over some stuff and be back later

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 4 2017 at 5:19am

Jun 3 2017 at 2:21pm franconp said:
Some thoughts:

Town:

- The jailer: He loses his power if he hits town? It seems too op as it's also a 1-shot cop. If the player doesn't lose his power after his first use he know his target is scum. Even if he loses he would have a green check. There are already cops in the game. It would be better to make him just x-shot (2 or 3 maybe).
To clarify how this works - the jailing gives them no direct info. When they choose to use the execute it is a one shot and should they hit town with it they can no longer even use the jailing portion of their power.

No. He is also not a weak one.

- Weak Cop/Gossip: So if he target scum dies and if he target town gets a secret chat? Could work. What if he target neutrals?
Arya is ascetic so it wouldn't work. Whatever the other neutral ends up being I would say they would enter survive and enter the chat.

- Vote limiter: Don't go for the survivor option. It's too much. If you decide to go for the thunderdome make it 3 or more players. You could add a restriction to include himself in the thunderdome.
Do you mean it's too much as in too strong?

- Doctor: Is x-shots or unlimited? I would leave out the notification. It's too op if scum doesnt' have strong shots.
It's a 3 shot ability currently.

- Override: OK (I love this role, such madness). What would happen with the vote limiter? Also 1-shot right?
Yep, 1 shot.

How many shots would you think?

- Reflector: x-shot right? Night actions only? What happens with NKs? Weak cop? Jailer? Also I would lose the randomess. Can be copied?
2 shot. Night actions only. Kills would deflect, as would any potential positive actions. Weak Cop is technically a day ability and would not bounce. Jailer..I guess that comes down to order of operations as you requested. I'll have to think on that/check with Ouro's guide. It can be copied assuming Dopple kills on a night that the deflect wasn't used. We could make it a targeted instead of random - something like "You may select a player to deflect all night actions to that are targeting you"?

That's fine.

Scum:

They need some buffs. They are really weak. They need x-shot strongkill to help against the doctor.

- Janitor: Not a fan of janitor in general. If he is a janitor don't share anything with his kill. Not even his role. If you make it a JOAT you could give him 1 janitor kill modifier where he can kill a target (a modifier not extra kill) and will not show results with the death.
- Cop: It's kinda a useless role. I don't see how knowing the religion of a player could help scum. This is the role that could give scum some more power.
Bit of a limbo role while we tried to decide how we wanted the items to work. At one point we were considering just two possible rewards - good or bad. If you won the votes and your religion was the one up that day you would get a good item, if you won and it wasn't your religion then you get something bad. If it's setup like that then scum have the ability to A) stack the results in their favor when it's a religion one of them represents and B) stack the odds against a player with the wrong religion and possibly doom them. With how the religion stuff expanded it doesn't work as well. Need to think on if reducing the religion items would be a good move again.

- Godfather: So if he is target by weak cop the weak cop won't die? He also can't be killed by Arya? Seems kinda OK. Should look at it further.
Correct, weak cop would just enter a secret chat with him and Arya would get the same result given for targeting a vanilla townie.

- Recruiter: Not a fan of the role. Needs some sort of backup because if he dies before using his power scum lose too much.

Neutrals:

It'll be gone. Just have to come up with a replacement that isn't overly plain but also doesn't break anything too much.

- Doppleganger: I would elimitate the assassinate command and just leave the coping (keep the killing of the copied). Make the copied abilities one shot only and maybe he can't copy a new ability before using the one she already has. Optional condition is too hard. Should just make her a survivor.
I feel like forcing them to have to use an ability in between kills would slow the role down way too much. That puts them at having to make it to day 7. I could see making the secondary win condition a survivor of some sort though. If you really don't think it's a good idea to have them be able to win by copying and using three additional abilities then we could maybe make them a survivor dopple, but I would think at that point we need to remove the restriction on who they can kill.

Religion Mechanic:

I'm thinking on what could be done to tweak it more. I also wasn't too pleased with letting any bit of it be RNG. That's why I started listing other options below it. Just not sure yet how to best handle it. TBD.

Added some responses in red. I'll try and work through implementing some of your feedback soon and tweaking some things. I'll post in here again when I've updated everything.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 4 2017 at 5:20am

Also seems to be disagreement between WAMD and I on the doc shots. 2 or 3 then, could go either way for balance (so as it stands 2 would be better it sounds. Updating the doc with that)

Pedro

franconp

Jun 4 2017 at 8:19am

Jun 4 2017 at 5:19am natiko said:

Jun 3 2017 at 2:21pm franconp said:
Some thoughts:

Town:

To clarify how this works - the jailing gives them no direct info. When they choose to use the execute it is a one shot and should they hit town with it they can no longer even use the jailing portion of their power.
Makes more sense.

No. He is also not a weak one.

Arya is ascetic so it wouldn't work. Whatever the other neutral ends up being I would say they would enter survive and enter the chat.

Do you mean it's too much as in too strong?
Yes. It's too strong. A classic thunderdome or 2 kills are better options.

It's a 3 shot ability currently.
That's ok.

Yep, 1 shot.

How many shots would you think?

2 shot. Night actions only. Kills would deflect, as would any potential positive actions. Weak Cop is technically a day ability and would not bounce. Jailer..I guess that comes down to order of operations as you requested. I'll have to think on that/check with Ouro's guide. It can be copied assuming Dopple kills on a night that the deflect wasn't used. We could make it a targeted instead of random - something like "You may select a player to deflect all night actions to that are targeting you"?
If it's 2 shots targeting is better. The least random the better.

That's fine.

Scum:

Bit of a limbo role while we tried to decide how we wanted the items to work. At one point we were considering just two possible rewards - good or bad. If you won the votes and your religion was the one up that day you would get a good item, if you won and it wasn't your religion then you get something bad. If it's setup like that then scum have the ability to A) stack the results in their favor when it's a religion one of them represents and B) stack the odds against a player with the wrong religion and possibly doom them. With how the religion stuff expanded it doesn't work as well. Need to think on if reducing the religion items would be a good move again.

Correct, weak cop would just enter a secret chat with him and Arya would get the same result given for targeting a vanilla townie.

Neutrals:

It'll be gone. Just have to come up with a replacement that isn't overly plain but also doesn't break anything too much.

I feel like forcing them to have to use an ability in between kills would slow the role down way too much. That puts them at having to make it to day 7. I could see making the secondary win condition a survivor of some sort though. If you really don't think it's a good idea to have them be able to win by copying and using three additional abilities then we could maybe make them a survivor dopple, but I would think at that point we need to remove the restriction on who they can kill.
I think it's a good idea to win by copyng the abilities. I don't know if it would slow the role down much. She has to copy and use 3 abilities, so she has to survive to day 7 either way. Also isn't she ascetic? The drawback is that she can target Ordinary. Maybe winning by copyng 2 abilities?

Religion Mechanic:

I'm thinking on what could be done to tweak it more. I also wasn't too pleased with letting any bit of it be RNG. That's why I started listing other options below it. Just not sure yet how to best handle it. TBD.

Added some responses in red. I'll try and work through implementing some of your feedback soon and tweaking some things. I'll post in here again when I've updated everything.

Comments on green. An idea about the religion mechanic:

How about giving the blessed gift when the player has the same religion as the day and he gets the mayority of the role (1 time only for each religion). If he has the same religion but he didn't get mayority he get just the gift. If he doesn't have the same religion he gets the curse. You can even add a stronger curse if he gets mayority when he doesn't have the religion.

Some gifts and curses have to be replaced. Some are too OP (what is a self-revive?). Having a poison as a curse it's too much compared with the other curses.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 4 2017 at 12:12pm

Or another idea:

Blessed gift: Same religion and majority of votes.
Gift: Same religion and not reach majority or another religion and majority of votes.
Curse: another religion and not reach majority.

You will announce which religion is the one giving gifs? If you are maybe it would be best to tell them when you make post the end of the night phase so they can speculate and claim their religion.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 4 2017 at 3:03pm via mobile

Jun 4 2017 at 5:20am natiko said:
Also seems to be disagreement between WAMD and I on the doc shots. 2 or 3 then, could go either way for balance (so as it stands 2 would be better it sounds. Updating the doc with that)

no it doesn't matter to me, I thought we had originally put 2 but 3 is totes cool

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 4 2017 at 3:04pm via mobile

Jun 4 2017 at 12:12pm franconp said:
Or another idea:

Blessed gift: Same religion and majority of votes.
Gift: Same religion and not reach majority or another religion and majority of votes.
Curse: another religion and not reach majority.

You will announce which religion is the one giving gifs? If you are maybe it would be best to tell them when you make post the end of the night phase so they can speculate and claim their religion.

i think the original plan was to announce it at the beginning of the day

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Jun 4 2017 at 5:28pm

One quick comment - seems like town has a lot of voting PRs. I think that makes sense balance-wise given that the Night's King role (godfather) can only be killed by lynching. I wonder if things could get swingy if Arya copies the voting PRs. If Arya copies the override - that's two overrides in the game (doesn't seem too bad tbh). I think you are deciding between a vote-limiter and a double-lyncher. If Arya copied a double-lyncher that might get very swingy. So maybe keep that role as a vote-limiter of some kind. You intend the Dany role to be negative utility, right?

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Jun 4 2017 at 5:35pm

I need to think more about the religion stuff. So just to clarify - players vote to lynch someone in the thread, and also vote via PM to give someone a gift. I assume they cannot vote for themselves. Is the person who got the gift revealed at the start of the next day phase (even if their gift is not)? Probably best if they are not I suppose as they might make easy targets for scum or Arya.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 4 2017 at 7:24pm

Jun 4 2017 at 5:28pm Swamped said:
One quick comment - seems like town has a lot of voting PRs. I think that makes sense balance-wise given that the Night's King role (godfather) can only be killed by lynching. I wonder if things could get swingy if Arya copies the voting PRs. If Arya copies the override - that's two overrides in the game (doesn't seem too bad tbh). I think you are deciding between a vote-limiter and a double-lyncher. If Arya copied a double-lyncher that might get very swingy. So maybe keep that role as a vote-limiter of some kind. You intend the Dany role to be negative utility, right?

If Arya copies a player that player dies so there won't be 2 overrides, vote limiter or double lyncher.

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Jun 4 2017 at 8:26pm via mobile

Jun 4 2017 at 7:24pm franconp said:

If Arya copies a player that player dies so there won't be 2 overrides, vote limiter or double lyncher.

Right. But still, that ability could be used two times in the game, if I understand correctly? PR uses the power, Arya kills them and she gets their power to use once again?

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 5 2017 at 2:22am

we could make it so that she only gets whatever shots they had left

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 7 2017 at 1:07am

Jun 4 2017 at 7:24pm franconp said:

Jun 5 2017 at 8:15am Swamped said:

Jun 5 2017 at 2:22am dragonz said:
we could make it so that she only gets whatever shots they had left

Yes, I think that change makes sense.

These were good catches. I've updated the description to account for it.

I have also updated a few things on the spreadsheet based on feedback (doc shots, religion triple vote shots, JOAT for scum, deflector now targets). I also responded to Swamped's comments on it. I also made a new suggestion for how the religion voting and rewards could work. It's on the religion tab at the bottom, so far it's the idea that I feel best about for religion so far. Would definitely appreciate some thoughts.

Other notes:
- Still not sure what to do for the neutral. Can't decide if we should go with something more practical or something more interesting.
- If everyone thinks the scum cop is too weak it can be tossed. The idea was that it works in two ways - helping to find a vanilla to recruit while also helping them to use people's religions against them due to the curse rewards.
- Still not sure how to protect the scum recruiter, but I really don't want to get rid of the role.

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Jun 7 2017 at 7:18am via mobile

Thanks for the summary of changes Natiko. We can definitely come up with something workable. Will take a closer look later today.

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Jun 8 2017 at 10:02am

In some way this game is bastard because the possibility exists that the cop could verify a townie, and the next night the townie gets recruited to the scum team. Is this the intention Natiko/Dragonz?

---

In my opinion, I think the game will be ready for distribution when:

1. Figure out the best way to implement scum recruiter mechanics
2. Figure out best way to implement gift mechanics (although I think Natiko's latest update seems to address that, will check it out)
3. Melisandre's role

Fran - what do you think?

We're almost there guys!

---

Natiko, to respond to your question on the spreadsheet about the lyncher role:

Yes, the player would have to be on the vote. Basically, I am suggesting this role: wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Lyncher

The lyncher is usually told the name of the player (not the name of their role). So usually they don't know what alignment they are lynching.

(I myself have played with the idea of a lyncher having to lynch an innocent child or celebrity role XD It's so cruel but would be hilarious to watch. Actually, I'm designing a game full of broken roles. It would never be played of course but in my free time I like to imagine how funny it would be to watch as a mod.)

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 8 2017 at 10:37am via mobile

Yeah, I think we knew the game would likely be bastard. You already know there was a tanner at one point, but we also discussed having scum recruit and not even revealing to the recruited player that their alignment has changed. Is there even a feasible way to have recruiting without it being bastard? We still have the godfather in there as well tipping the scales further towards bastard.

Any suggestions on what good rewards would be for each tier (blessed gift, gift, and curse) that wouldn't be broken knowing one of each is given out each night?

Not sure how I feel about putting in Lyncher when if it fails they become survivor and I think Fran said that should be the backup plan for Arya as well.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 8 2017 at 1:19pm

I couldn't check the updates yet. I have been really busy the last days. Will check them tonight.

You should be aware that you will need to add a warning about the game being bastard before the recruitment and that it's aimed to experienced players. Also not everyone is fond of bastard games, and they could be kind of a mess during their run. Be prepared for a lot of trouble running them.

Also, you need to tell the player that his aligment has changed. Not telling about it is unfair to the player.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Jun 8 2017 at 11:56pm

We could just tell them.

Alternatively, I am open to scrapping the recruiter entirely.

Or we could make the cop only get results on PR's.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 9 2017 at 10:59am

Regarding the religion mechanic: I think the new updates could be too much. 2 gifs and a curse everyday could break the game, also it will be a pain in the ass to mod (just an advise). Also if you decide to go that route the gifs should be toned down. If you are giving away 1-shot, revives, bulletproofs, poison, etc everyday it can go the crazy way really fast.

Also expect the scum team to exploit the mechanic. They will be able to coordinate the votes while town can't. Even more if the vote is secret.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 9 2017 at 5:00pm via mobile

Yeah, I specifically said the rewards would be toned down. It is one of the few ways I've found that works with this setup and avoids RNG. Other options I thought of revolved dropping it down to just gift and curse and either giving one of each out a night (to highest votes of same religion and of a different religion) or giving one out based on strictly highest votes and that person's religion either matching or not.

I also expected scum to be able to use this mechanic to their benefit with coordinated votes, hence why I gave some religion voting powers to town but also let scum have a role to find out other players' religions.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 10 2017 at 12:16pm

Okay what about this:

Since there's concern over giving scum a recruiter and the impact it has if they die before recruiting, what if we ditch that plan for scum. We could instead make that slot a lynch activated override. Each day they submit an override choice to us, if they are voted majority that day the person they selected will die instead? If they submit no one that day phase then they are lynched as usual. It is a one shot and upon happening that player is revealed as scum to everyone else. A scum override would be pretty powerful and it buys them a day phase. I figure that might make up for them only having four people between that and the JOAT? The scum cop would become just a religion cop, no need for the vanilla check.

If we did go with that, we could make the other neutral a combo lyncher AND recruiter. Take the idea of scum's vanilla and religion check but make it a vanilla or not and name check. Once during the game they can recruit a vanilla to become their neutral bodyguard and their win condition is updated to match that of Melisandre. The name check would allow them to try and find a specific character they need to lynch. The recruited player would enter a private chat with them. If their target is killed then they instead become survivors together I guess.

I dunno, just some random thoughts I had that would solve two things in one go.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 12 2017 at 11:10am

How would the religion overrider work with the gifts? Blessed gifts or normal ones?

I don't really like the lynch activated override. It's too op. If you want to use a recruiter maybe making him ascetic until he finds a recruit?

Regarding the combo lyncher/recruiter: What would happen if Melisandre recruits scum? Can she recruit PRs?

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Jun 12 2017 at 7:58pm via mobile

The religion override would make that person the majority winner by default and the reward would still depend on their religion.

So if that's too OP for scum then how far are they behind town strength wise? Because they'd drop down to four instead of five members but that one shot power makes them too strong anyways despite being too weak before.

I specified they could only recruit a vanilla townie.

Pedro

franconp

Jun 13 2017 at 7:54am

The problem with scum being underpowered was never about the number of members. Was they lacking ways to counter town PRs. Town had a unlimited doctor and scum couldn't do anything about it. Now the doctor has been nerfed and the scum team has a strong kill.

They are much closer now strenght wise. An global scum override is a really powerful ability. It buys them an entire extra day and town has almost no way to kill scum during the night phase so that means that scum gains 2 night kills easily. Also town already has an override. If this happens in mylo or lylo it's game over. Just changing the recruiter for a roleblocker could work. Or how about giving scum an x-shot that can change the gift for a curse?

Arya is basically a PR hunter and it's more likely to hit town than scum (regarding that: what would happen if Arya targets the JOAT? Which power does she copies?). Town has 10 possible targets vs 2 of scum. Arya is keeping the assassinate command?

Melissandre's lyncher/recruiter combo could work. Who will be their target? A townie or scum? PR or ordinary? Also what would happen if she recruits her target?

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 25 2017 at 3:49pm via mobile

I decided to finally revamp things. Haven’t spoken with WAMD about them yet but I wanted to bring everyone’s attention to them. The spreadsheet now has two additional tabs titled v2. I made my changes there to preserve the regular versions just in case. Recruiting for scum is now to recruit a goon and anyone can do it. Scum cop is replaced by 3 shot roleblocker. Both religion town roles have been changed. Religion mechanic has been completely changed. Second neutral is a non-killing role now based on religion. I had them as a recruiter or arsonist based around religion briefly but both seemed too disruptive. If any of you think those ideas are better though I’m open to that.

Pedro

franconp

Sep 25 2017 at 6:58pm

I have checked the v2.

I like the new religion mechanic. I think it's fun that it's related to what actions the players do/did in the game. Also the rewards aren't OP. Feels a lot more balanced. The only doubt is with the self revive: How will that actually work? Does it work if he is killed that same night? Does it has to be activated?

Regarding the design: Feels more balanced than before too. Some questions/comments on roles:

- Jailer: the 1 shot is the execute or the jailing?

- Recruit: Since the last time I checked the game I checked some of the old games and the recruit mechanic was used in WWE Mafia and it went badly. It's really bastard and could end even worse if they used it later in the game. A good idea could be to limit how long they are allowed to use it. Maybe allow them to use it only during the first 2 days so it wouldn't be so bastard.

- Arya: I still think that being able to do both the actions during the same night is kinda OP. Maybe allow her to use the assassinate command only if she doesn't have a stolen ability.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 25 2017 at 7:44pm

Self-revive - Yes, it would work if they were killed that same night as it would be granted to them immediately following day end. I did specify whoever is lynched that day phase would not be eligible to receive the item to avoid anything weird happening with that. I will say this was the one reward that is the strongest so I knew it might be dicey, but it fit with the theme so well I went ahead and put it for now. I'm open to changing it if we need.

Jailer - The 1 shot is the execute, but if they use it and hit town then they lose the ability to block entirely. If they hit scum they would get to keep blocking as they did before, but they would not be able to execute a second time.

Recruit - Question here - is recruiting the only thing making the game bastard at this point or is the dopple SK bastard too? If this one thing is the only part that's bastard I would be open to changing it. Just not sure what I would change to make sure this didn't weaken scum too much.

Arya - I guess with the added survival backup win condition and the reduction to only needing two successful uses of copied abilities that's fair. I'll make that change now.

Any thoughts on the new neutral?

Pedro

franconp

Sep 25 2017 at 8:11pm

Self-revive: Leave it like that. It's ok.

Jailer: I think it's ok like that. It isn't working as a back up cop anymore I think.

Recruit: The dopple can be considered bastard, as also the Godfather and the janitor. I'm not saying that is bad, there are several people who like bastards game. Just that the recruitment can be the most bastard mechanic in the game. I think the recruit mechanic can be ok but it must be limited. For example: If I were scum I wouldn't use the recruit until there is only one of us left alive. At that time I would take a gamble and target the most townie player still in the game, and if I can target someone who has been green checked by a cop even better. That can be a complete disaster for town. That's why I say that if you want to keep the mechanic it should be limited for the first couple of nights at most.

I think the new neutral is fine. I would maybe make some of the townies who are missing a religion a red god believer to give him harder win con (may be a little too easy as it is right now, he could leave the game by N3 if he is lucky). Also I think that he losing the conversion if his target die is ok. Will his target be told that they changed religions? Also, let's say he converts someone from the Olds Gods religion if he target another player with the same religion, what would happen? It shouldn't count for his win condition but will the target be converted or not?

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 25 2017 at 9:06pm via mobile

So basically give them two or three nights to recruit and cut it off there? I guess the balance is that if they fail it likely means they accidentally uncovered at least a couple Town PRs?

Yeah, I realized my math on making it not function as an arsonist was wrong. I counted for five religions thus five dead but in actuality there’s only three convertible religions which makes the new setup a bit easier, especially since they may reveal themselves by going for the rewards. I would say at the very least we can’t let them convert multiple of the same religion at once to make it slightly more difficult.

Pedro

franconp

Sep 25 2017 at 9:15pm

Yes, I would say give them until N2 to recruit a partner. After that it could be hard for town to deal with it.

For the neutral: Maybe make him unable to convert a target if the target won the blessed reward that same night. That would prevent him for exploiting that mechanic much maybe.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 25 2017 at 9:30pm via mobile

Okay, I can make that update then.

That could help some too. Should they be told that or let them figure it out?

Pedro

franconp

Sep 26 2017 at 11:54am

To the neutral? You should tell him.

Will you posts the result of who won the blessed reward before the night phase start? I wouldn't tell them. Or maybe tell them at the start of the next day if you want.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 26 2017 at 12:25pm via mobile

Okay, that’s fair. And I wasn’t planning to explicitly confirm it at any point other than to the winner.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 26 2017 at 4:24pm via mobile

When the religion is announced at day start it can say something like “the winner will be blessed for the upcoming night and will receive a divine gift” then the religion convertor’s role PM will specify their power will not work on blessed individuals.

Pedro

yn

_kS9FcPWKdO64YeRQA13.png

Sep 27 2017 at 11:11am

i like the changes. the no voting thing for the religion mechanic seems like it will make lives easier for both players and gamerunners AND seems like it will implement a new mechanic for gafia. on this, though: would like to see the 'flavour' of each announcement to be able to gauge how it will affect favour or balance

Other than that, this looks like a very unconventional set up and one that will require a hands on monitoring on players' vote counts, posts counts, timing of said votes / posts, in order to be able to determine the rewards granted. Both of you will have your work cut out for you :D So, on that, maybe it's worthwhile thinking when you both will be able to run this? Any holidays coming up etc?

Also, are there a few players without religions? Or am i not seeing things right? Are they not able to 'win' any religion's lotto for the entire game?

Additionally, would like to see a priority listing on PR sequence (as in which PR takes priority over others).

That's my thoughts at this stage, Dragi & Nati~

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 27 2017 at 11:36am via mobile

I am available to run it anytime, but WAMD has a much more hectic schedule (and life for that matter). I would defer to her as far as when a good time would be.

As for the flavor of the day announcements for each religion WAMD would likely be the one to write those as she’s much more creative with that. Question - what would be better for balance, making it hard to guess what the criteria for the reward is that day or making it easier?

Some of the flavor stuff hasn’t been filled out, but I can say that the religion breakdown would be 6-6-6-6-1 with the one being Arya with the Many Faced God. That leaves the neutral with 18 viable targets and having to get one from each subset of six and them living. Someone that likes math more than me could maybe crunch what the odds are on that but I’m not even going to try lol

Good catch on the order of operations, Fran requested that forever ago and I forgot to do it. That’ll be the next thing I do, need to find Ouro’s guide.

Pedro

franconp

Sep 27 2017 at 3:45pm

Sep 27 2017 at 11:36am natiko said:
As for the flavor of the day announcements for each religion WAMD would likely be the one to write those as she’s much more creative with that. Question - what would be better for balance, making it hard to guess what the criteria for the reward is that day or making it easier?

I don't think making it easy or hard will affect balance. I think it would be more fun the hard way but that's just my opinion. I like to make the players work for their reward. But it also can be easy.

What I would do is change one of the Red God's scum believers for to a Faith believer so scum can represent each of the religions and try to win the rewards. Also I would switch the requirements of the Faith with any of the others as giving the reward for the first voter on the first day can be tricky. Some people like to make pretyped posts with random votes as soon as the game start (yes, we all know who is the most obvious example of this but he is not the only one who does it) so the reward could be given away without giving the rest of the players a chance to gain it. Or maybe change it for the last vote intead of the first? Both of that conditions may be unfair for the players who are in a different time zone and unable to be around at day start. Maybe change it it for a random vote: like the fifth vote of someone from that religion would gain the reward?

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Sep 27 2017 at 4:35pm via mobile

Hmm, doing something other than first or last may work. I explicitly don’t want to do last vote because it could influence the day end lynch/voting too much (at least I feared it would). We could do fifth vote by a member of that religion.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Sep 27 2017 at 7:47pm

Taking a look at the sheet now, will have some thoughts soon.

As for scheduling, I'm deployed until mid / late January, but my days are usually not that busy if we have no work going on. I can't really confirm a time every day that I would be free, considering they launch the planes at different times. There's no set time, so I would have to defer to Natiko on starting / ending the day phase sometimes. I'll have to really think about my schedule before I come up with a definite answer. But I really want to contribute the most that I can so I'll work something out.

On the flip side, if we start when I get home, I'll be doing a lot more work and away from my computer a lot more, but I would have a very definitive schedule where the same thing happens everyday at the same time. I'll be taking some leave in February to see my family, and I don't want to spend my time with them glued to a computer screen, so that won't work for me.

Be back soon xoxo

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Sep 27 2017 at 9:20pm

I'm really liking the new updates.

I'll be back if I have any more specific feedback, but I think the game is almost ready!

Pedro

yn

_kS9FcPWKdO64YeRQA13.png

Sep 28 2017 at 12:46am

What I wanna be careful with the *hints* at the announcements is that we make sure the language / flavour will not favour certain factions more than others.

Other than that, I agree with swamps, looks like you only need finishing touches, e.g. list of power priority, and announcement wordings, and we're quite close to the game's launchable version :>

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Sep 28 2017 at 8:04am via mobile

Sep 28 2017 at 12:46am yn said:
What I wanna be careful with the *hints* at the announcements is that we make sure the language / flavour will not favour certain factions more than others.

Other than that, I agree with swamps, looks like you only need finishing touches, e.g. list of power priority, and announcement wordings, and we're quite close to the game's launchable version :>

In confused. What specifically are you worried about? Like the way we announce the faith of the day / winners?

I feel really behind on all these updates and I'm not comprehending for some reason.

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Sep 28 2017 at 8:09am via mobile

As for a launch, I need to finish flavor for both some of the roles, day start flavor, and religion reward flavor. I will try to work on it at the office but it's hard for me to concentrate because I've got a billion people breathing down my neck and the tools in the room over always yell about battlefield or some shit

I have a day off on Sunday, where I can retreat to a quiet place, so I'll try to bang them all out then

Pedro

dragonz

DG200JGwoltXuC7SlW9u.jpg

Sep 28 2017 at 8:12am via mobile

God I fucking hate this place i can't sleep and im always balls to the wall stressed out

Pedro

yn

_kS9FcPWKdO64YeRQA13.png

Sep 28 2017 at 8:40am

Sep 28 2017 at 8:04am dragonz said:

Sep 28 2017 at 12:46am yn said:

In confused. What specifically are you worried about? Like the way we announce the faith of the day / winners?

I feel really behind on all these updates and I'm not comprehending for some reason.
At tab 4 "Religion Mechanic v2" it says, "...a riddle or hint at what the criteria for winning the reward will be posted". <-- just wanna make sure the flavour / language of the hint or riddle is not easier or harder for the different religions. i mean they all should be equally easy or equally hard for all the factions / players to achieve. if one hint/ riddle is easier than the others, it might make things less fair for the ones that got the harder hints/riddles.

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Sep 29 2017 at 5:17pm

Sep 28 2017 at 8:40am yn said:

Sep 28 2017 at 8:04am dragonz said:

At tab 4 "Religion Mechanic v2" it says, "...a riddle or hint at what the criteria for winning the reward will be posted". <-- just wanna make sure the flavour / language of the hint or riddle is not easier or harder for the different religions. i mean they all should be equally easy or equally hard for all the factions / players to achieve. if one hint/ riddle is easier than the others, it might make things less fair for the ones that got the harder hints/riddles.
Ohhhh maybe for the hint you could have a (non-spoiler) line from the books. Can't think of examples off the top of my head, but at least that way they would all be somewhat equally easy to decipher. The line from the book would be highlighted so it is differentiated from regular flavor.

I'm hoping that won't derail conversation too much though.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Oct 18 2017 at 2:00pm via mobile

Hello all!

Finally took a look at priority. I’m putting it here to get thoughts before putting it on the sheet. Let me know if you see any issues.

1. Auto Commute (Reward)
2. Jailkeeper and Roleblocker (Resolve simultaneously thus one can not prevent the other’s block)
3. Deflector
4. Doctor and Bodyguard
5. Vote Limiter, Religion Hypnotist, Religion Converter
6. JOAT’s three kill modifiers, SK Dopple’s kill, regular scum kill (Resolve simultaneously so as to not allow one killer to prevent another killer’s kill)
7. Backup Cop’s check, Weak Cop’s gossip, 1-shot track (reward), 1-shot Religion check (reward)

My only question is about the auto revive. Would it trigger in the middle of this or after the phase starts? Would their death be announced?

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Oct 20 2017 at 7:58am via mobile

Hmmm I would think auto-revive would be the last on the list, but I'll get back to you on that. Don't have access to the spreadsheet right now.

Pedro

franconp

Oct 22 2017 at 5:03am

Shouldn't the deflector activate before the roleblocker ir the jailkeeper? Or he can be roleblocked?

The track should also activate earlier. It should be before the roleblockers.

As Swamped said the reviver should be the last on the list. First you should resolve all the other actions.

Also, sorry for the delayed answer but I'm currently on vacations abroad so I'm not checking the boards much.

Pedro

natiko

jMb2QmNi8k7Vg4FGTsR4.png

Oct 22 2017 at 11:29am

Tracking can't be roleblocked? Should it maybe be at the same time as the roleblockers but not resolve simultaneously so it can still be blocked maybe? I did the ordering entirely based on Ouro's guide. To me your changes make sense though, in fact I almost put deflector before the blockers but changed it because the guide explicitly had it after. I guess new order would be like:

1. Auto Commute (Reward)
2. Deflector
3. Jailkeeper and Roleblocker (Resolve simultaneously thus one can not prevent the other’s block); 1-shot track (reward) (can track blockers, but if targeted by a blocker the block takes priority)
4. Doctor and Bodyguard
5. Vote Limiter, Religion Hypnotist, Religion Converter
6. JOAT’s three kill modifiers, SK Dopple’s kill, regular scum kill (Resolve simultaneously so as to not allow one killer to prevent another killer’s kill)
7. Backup Cop’s check, Weak Cop’s gossip, 1-shot Religion check (reward)
8. Self-Revive (reward)

Better? Also I still am not sure if it would be better to reveal the reviver was killed and then revived during the night or to say nothing about it. Obviously if they're lynched I assume I would say they died and then say they revived in the day end post? Also no worries Fran. I'd never complain about either you or Swamped with the help and patience you've both shown despite WAMD and I taking forever at times lol

Pedro

Swamped

xOgdeXhLGLp4vGuQkAkk.png

Oct 22 2017 at 7:08pm

I think there's nothing wrong with revealing the the revived player was killed then revived. It's important to be consistent though - if you plan on doing that after a lynch, you should do that after a NK too. I think it's a fine idea. You wouldn't be mentioning which faction did the kill so there's still plenty of mystery to parse through.

Pedro

This design board has been moved from Outer Gafia to Outer Mafia. The design has already been approved by two reviewers but this will serve as a place where the gamerunners can write their flavor text and role PMs.

Natiko

Town's Friendly Neighborhood Serial Killer
Roles and mechanics are still locked. She recently got back and will start writing flavor soon.

Top Bottom