Horror Movie Mafia Design Sheet

So, what kind of things specifically from each character should we change if we were to?

Looking back on the game after so long, is there anything that stands out that we should change now?

Natiko

Town's Friendly Neighborhood Serial Killer
So, what kind of things specifically from each character should we change if we were to?

Looking back on the game after so long, is there anything that stands out that we should change now?
Well - it depends to what degree you would like to make changes in order to feel comfortable. We could just move roles around, tweak a couple roles/x-shot things, or do a more comprehensive overhaul of the whole game.

Pedro

The Last Airbender is actually a great movie
Yes, because as far as I know they are already counting on you to run it next season :x Give them a heads-up when you can.

HvV2 inspired me to get back to work on this game. Idk if you guys wants to move this game back to works in progress or not, but i did change a few things. most of everything is the same, but i did notice things more clearly that i did NOT want in the game after being away from it so long.
lets go through it:

1. I changed Babadook to an Innocent Child, only able to issue the command after N2, and it's up to the player when they want to do that. I thought it made it simpler. Having their role PM sent to an individual character just seemed too lame, and i wanted that character to have a bit more flair so i went with innocent child instead.
  2. I changed Candyman's role a bit. So, the passive action occurs in concurrence with the same name rule as before, only the player does not know this now. Instead of the name, role, and alignment of the player being relayed, i thought to dumb it down a little bit and only reveal the character's name (flavor), along with the role and alignment. This way, it's not an automatic CONFIRM on said player that has been passively targeted. Thus, Candyman will still have to do some investigating to find out who the character is.
  3. I changed Damien into a Nexus. I must admit, I like this role because it throws a little chaos into the mix and i thought ascetic was boring in the first place since we already have a commuter present. So, i made him a 2-shot Nexus.
  4. I changed the Xenomorph. I want him to kill instead of wound lol. Idk why, but i feel like it gives that role a little more excitement. The loss of a vote didn't seem to make the role worthwhile to me. Plus, i think we can afford to have another Town killing role in the mix aside from the vigilante.
  5. I made Predator into an even day commuter. Mostly because I didn't want him to feel safe right off the bat. Night 1 should have some fear to it. At least that's what i think lol.
  6. I got rid of Ghostface. RIP. I tried to make it work flavorwise, but the character was just so tainted by the gossip role that i couldn't salvage the name haha. I didn't want a Gossip, and coming back to the game after so long made me realize just how much i REALLY didnt want one.
  7. I added Annabelle. Annabelle is a Watcher. I considered making her into a role that targeted a player and got back the names of the actions that were used on said player, but i couldn't find anywhere what the name of that role was. Does that role exist? I guess it would be a powerful one, so you'd have to probably make the player using it a 1-shot if anything. But i've never seen that role in any games i've been in, so i thought that would be a cool thing to add if possible.
  8. I adjusted Sam's role. He can now set his trap on any player, including himself. He's a trickster after all, why restrict him? Sam's role will kill Mafia>neutral>town if any killing roles target that night. If it's a mixture of killing roles, non-killing roles, townies, neutrals, scum (i think you get it) then RNG will decide the kill. UNLESS, you guys think Town can use the buff after these changes, then we can make it that Mafia>neutral>town no matter what kind of actions visit Sam that night.
  9. I made Chucky into a 2-shot Hider. I felt like the 3 shots gave him too much leeway.
  10. I changed Black Phillip's role. He can now recruit on any day he wants BUT he only has 3 shots. Can still only recruit up to 2 members. I dont remember which one of you mentioned it, but someone said the non-town/town ratio was already leaning against town with the neutral and scum potential, so i made this adjustment.

I'm willing to hear any feedback on any of the changes! But i do feel like it was healthy to change some stuff, given the leak. Even if nothing was compromised, it made me feel better to change it just in case. Plus, i really like the roles now, and got rid of the fluff i put in there because i was running out of ideas at a certain point.
Sorry to make you guys look at it again though...
I'll post the old version and 2.0 in the OP just in case you'd like to compare.

Natiko

No worries! I’ll try and take a look at this soon and give you any feedback. I don’t think it’s fair to bump you back in the queue due to our mistakes so we’ll just work through it and be sure it’s solid again prior to whenever it is up to run.

Natiko

HvV2 inspired me to get back to work on this game. Idk if you guys wants to move this game back to works in progress or not, but i did change a few things. most of everything is the same, but i did notice things more clearly that i did NOT want in the game after being away from it so long.
lets go through it:

1. I changed Babadook to an Innocent Child, only able to issue the command after N2, and it's up to the player when they want to do that. I thought it made it simpler. Having their role PM sent to an individual character just seemed too lame, and i wanted that character to have a bit more flair so i went with innocent child instead. I think this is fine, makes for a more dramatic reveal. I think the sheet needs to be updated to specify that the player chooses when to reveal and only after a certain night. Part of me says there should be a limit on it like not in lylo but honestly, if a player lives til lylo and doesn't use this ability then good on them lol This is a tick towards town balance wise compared to the original.
  2. I changed Candyman's role a bit. So, the passive action occurs in concurrence with the same name rule as before, only the player does not know this now. Instead of the name, role, and alignment of the player being relayed, i thought to dumb it down a little bit and only reveal the character's name (flavor), along with the role and alignment. This way, it's not an automatic CONFIRM on said player that has been passively targeted. Thus, Candyman will still have to do some investigating to find out who the character is. What would their Role PM indicate to them? Just curious, generally speaking I love this change and I don't think it has any impact on balance.
  3. I changed Damien into a Nexus. I must admit, I like this role because it throws a little chaos into the mix and i thought ascetic was boring in the first place since we already have a commuter present. So, i made him a 2-shot Nexus. I think first off this is okay - probably a light tick away from town since it's more random and harder to predict. I don't think you should notify the player they were targeted as the sheet currently indicates.
  4. I changed the Xenomorph. I want him to kill instead of wound lol. Idk why, but i feel like it gives that role a little more excitement. The loss of a vote didn't seem to make the role worthwhile to me. Plus, i think we can afford to have another Town killing role in the mix aside from the vigilante. Moderate tick towards town, and gives them their third killing role (don't forget the trapper). Plus governor is almost like a day kill as well.
  5. I made Predator into an even day commuter. Mostly because I didn't want him to feel safe right off the bat. Night 1 should have some fear to it. At least that's what i think lol. Good change
  6. I got rid of Ghostface. RIP. I tried to make it work flavorwise, but the character was just so tainted by the gossip role that i couldn't salvage the name haha. I didn't want a Gossip, and coming back to the game after so long made me realize just how much i REALLY didnt want one. Fair
  7. I added Annabelle. Annabelle is a Watcher. I considered making her into a role that targeted a player and got back the names of the actions that were used on said player, but i couldn't find anywhere what the name of that role was. Does that role exist? I guess it would be a powerful one, so you'd have to probably make the player using it a 1-shot if anything. But i've never seen that role in any games i've been in, so i thought that would be a cool thing to add if possible. I feel like we had a role that did that recently but I'm blanking on the name. If you want it to be a role that learns what abilities were used on a player then go for it. Can't find the name? Make one up. It's your game. Call it an "Ability Watcher" or "Ability Detector" or some shit. I think it's actually weaker than a regular watcher. Watchers are very strong.
  8. I adjusted Sam's role. He can now set his trap on any player, including himself. He's a trickster after all, why restrict him? Sam's role will kill Mafia>neutral>town if any killing roles target that night. If it's a mixture of killing roles, non-killing roles, townies, neutrals, scum (i think you get it) then RNG will decide the kill. UNLESS, you guys think Town can use the buff after these changes, then we can make it that Mafia>neutral>town no matter what kind of actions visit Sam that night. Does it only hit killing roles or any roles that visit? This is also a buff to town - just place this on any moderately strong PR that claims and sit back and get a free scum kill.
  9. I made Chucky into a 2-shot Hider. I felt like the 3 shots gave him too much leeway. Seems fine
  10. I changed Black Phillip's role. He can now recruit on any day he wants BUT he only has 3 shots. Can still only recruit up to 2 members. I dont remember which one of you mentioned it, but someone said the non-town/town ratio was already leaning against town with the neutral and scum potential, so i made this adjustment. This also speeds up the rate at which they can be converted though. I'd sooner say odd nights AND 3-shot or some such if you're concerned.

I'm willing to hear any feedback on any of the changes! But i do feel like it was healthy to change some stuff, given the leak. Even if nothing was compromised, it made me feel better to change it just in case. Plus, i really like the roles now, and got rid of the fluff i put in there because i was running out of ideas at a certain point.
Sorry to make you guys look at it again though...
I'll post the old version and 2.0 in the OP just in case you'd like to compare.
Responses to each line in red. I think the changes favor town overall. Scum probably need a player with a BP with all these town killing roles. Roleblock could become infinite too.

1. I made the RBer infinite shots, but cannot target the same player consecutively. I'm fine with that scum buff.
  2. Edited Babadook's role PM.
  3. Candyman's role PM as of now is pretty ambiguous in terms of role PMs lol but i really don't know any other way to go about telling them what's going to happen other than spelling out the name rule for them... i dont want them to know about the name rule, otherwise they'd know who the player is right away. So, it's almost a flavor reward for the player. if they can figure the mechanic out, good on them! haha i'll work on the wording though
  4. Damien is no longer notified. I'm glad you noticed that because i wasnt sure how that worked. But Town has been buffed, so it's fair to add more Town madness
  5. I made Annabelle an Ability Watcher. Like you said, Watcher is pretty strong, so since Town is already buffed, i would rather try something unorthodox here. Plus, i already have a Tracker, i don't want the role that straight up mirrors it. So, the ability watcher will not get the role of the players back, but the ability name. which in some cases is just as useful, but for some cases (such as KILL or INVESTIGATE) will not be as useful.
  6. Okay, Sam's role will operate fully on RNG now lol since you put it that way. Theres a good chance it will kill scum, given the example you've provided, but then again, there are townie skeptics that might not believe someones claim and also target that person that night. so yeah, no more hierarchy of death. Pure randomness.
  7. Good point about Black Phillip, i'll give him the shots and the odd days. The reason I was trying to regulate his ability is because nothing would irritate me more than if a player turned third party late game. So, even though BP can target only on Odd days, i want him to be x-shot so that he feels the need to use them early/mid game. That way players have a chance to develop new reads on the witches that have just turned.

Great feedback, Natiko! Didn't expect such a fast response since i'm sure you have a ton of reading in HvV2 to catch up on lol
Let me know if you think scum needs another buff and we'll figure it out. I could make the commute an x-shot (that would probably be my next move) and/or i can give scum a bulletproof to protect them from the killing roles. If anything, i could get Frankie a vest and work with that mechanic alongside a scum bulletproof. Maybe he can pass it if he wants to since he's such a friendly monster lol
We have the governor, vig, vengeful, and trapper that can kill on Town.

Natiko

1. I'm good with the role PM for candyman being vague, just was asking since you're wanting it to be unclear.
  2. I kiiiind of want to say Annabelle should be 2-shot. Or you could drop the tracker down to 2-shot (I believe it's 3 currently). Also the ninja should not be detected by the ability watcher either - FYI.
  3. If you want to trend BP towards using them early, but not speed up the rate at which he can manage two you could make him 3-shot, but say he can't start targeting until N2. So N2 on he could use them any night. Also can add a caveat that he will lose any unused shots after X-night or you could even just outright say starting N2 he MUST try and convert each night going forward for three nights or until two conversions, whichever comes first.
I think if you just throw a BP on Michael Myers you're probably good again. And no worries - it's nice to get a break from my *checks* 50 pages left.. ._.

I kiiiind of want to say Annabelle should be 2-shot.
I was thinking this as well. I'd rather limit her than the Tracker, so i'll change her to 2-shot. And yes, definitely can't watch the ninja, i agree.
If you want to trend BP towards using them early, but not speed up the rate at which he can manage two you could make him 3-shot, but say he can't start targeting until N2. So N2 on he could use them any night. Also can add a caveat that he will lose any unused shots after X-night or you could even just outright say starting N2 he MUST try and convert each night going forward for three nights or until two conversions, whichever comes first.
Tbh, i don't mind if he gets to recruit early (days 1,2,3) because thats when everyone also has shots of their abilities, so they have a chance at countering his abilities (either by tracking him, watching him, killing him, etc).
So, i'm inclined to give him leeway on when he wants to use the convert ability. I want to restrict the ability but at the same time give the player a choice because its not as much fun if they dont have some freedom of their own. After all, there's 1/4 probability his action will fail when it comes to the non-town/town ratio in the game. Theres 1/24 chance he could target Damien and lose his ability for good. he could be RBd. he could also be targeted by those actions i mentioned above, and that gives another disadvantage.
What do you think about giving him 3-shots, he can use on whatever days but cannot use after night 6?

And yeah, MM deserves that BP flavorwise, too lol

Natiko

Only thing I have to add is to do the math on if as many people die as possible how few people could remain when BP goes to convert on his last chance (N6). I think it's fine to toss the last bit about Damien since that wouldn't be fun for BP and would basically wreck his chances of winning off complete chance.

Only thing I have to add is to do the math on if as many people die as possible how few people could remain when BP goes to convert on his last chance (N6). I think it's fine to toss the last bit about Damien since that wouldn't be fun for BP and would basically wreck his chances of winning off complete chance.
So yeah, worst case scenario, around 14 townies would be dead by then. Leaving 4 town, 1-2 neutral (based on Chucky's decision N5), and 5 scum.
That's literally the scum victory day. That's not including if he's already recruit 1 townie. So that would leave 3 Town. 9-10 players total.
So, maybe N5 be the last night? I'd also like that overlay with Chucky's Possess ability and the Convert ability potentially interfering with that.

So, 12 dead townies. Leaving 5-6 depending on Chucky's decision, which could also depend on Black Phillip's decision. 1-2 neutral and 5 scum.

But the more we talk about it the more I wonder if Black Phillip needs that restriction. Just give him 3 shots and if he's lucky enough to pull off a late game recruitment, good on them! Looking at the numbers now, that could be an impressive achievement as an x-shot.

Natiko

So yeah, worst case scenario, around 14 townies would be dead by then. Leaving 4 town, 1-2 neutral (based on Chucky's decision N5), and 5 scum.
That's literally the scum victory day. That's not including if he's already recruit 1 townie. So that would leave 3 Town. 9-10 players total.
So, maybe N5 be the last night? I'd also like that overlay with Chucky's Possess ability and the Convert ability potentially interfering with that.

So, 12 dead townies. Leaving 5-6 depending on Chucky's decision, which could also depend on Black Phillip's decision. 1-2 neutral and 5 scum.

But the more we talk about it the more I wonder if Black Phillip needs that restriction. Just give him 3 shots and if he's lucky enough to pull off a late game recruitment, good on them! Looking at the numbers now, that could be an impressive achievement as an x-shot.
I suppose you're right. It would be frustrating as a town player to end up losing due to a late conversion, but it's a very unlikely situation. Most people will try every night until they're out of shots or at most skip one night.

So, if we think the cult leader needs some help, we can keep the innocent child to claiming N2 and after, and the cult leader will probably recruit them n3. Orrr we can move the IC to n3 or later, and that will give the cult leader a reason to hopefully hold onto their shots and it will reward them

Natiko

I don't know that we need to do much to help the cult leader. If you want to play it safe, remove the shots and just put a cap on how long he has to recruit. Do they share a chat together (him and his recruits)? I forget. Here's something to remember - he either gets recruits fast and sets his team up as well as he can OR he whiffs a shot or two and then has the ability to either fake some sort of investigative role or even simply push hard for said player and get a lot of town cred (or conversely avoid said players like the plague to try and not get NKed). Cult/converts are hard to balance in general.

I don't know that we need to do much to help the cult leader. If you want to play it safe, remove the shots and just put a cap on how long he has to recruit. Do they share a chat together (him and his recruits)? I forget. Here's something to remember - he either gets recruits fast and sets his team up as well as he can OR he whiffs a shot or two and then has the ability to either fake some sort of investigative role or even simply push hard for said player and get a lot of town cred (or conversely avoid said players like the plague to try and not get NKed). Cult/converts are hard to balance in general.
Yeah, they share a chat. I was actually thinking of making that chat exclusively during the night phase only.
I don’t mind him just being a 3-shot. I will make the IC action available starting N3 though.
Cults are definitely a weird mechanic, but that’s why I wanted to make the leader x-shot, to make it uncertain if they’ll get a full team. Infinite shots would make it too easy for them to lie low the entire game and just recruit (a few players come to mind lol).

How does the balance look with that in mind?

Natiko

I think the balance is alright. A lot of it is going to come down to is the cult/Chucky successful and do mafia whiff on kills or hit neutrals ever (or does town cannibalize with all their kills). It’s a swingy game for sure, but not wildly unbalanced in any direction.

I think the balance is alright. A lot of it is going to come down to is the cult/Chucky successful and do mafia whiff on kills or hit neutrals ever (or does town cannibalize with all their kills). It’s a swingy game for sure, but not wildly unbalanced in any direction.
You’re right, the swinginess is primarily aimed at how the neutrals act and if town hits themselves.
But even in worse case scenarios, town still has a good chance. I definitely nerfed town a good deal with these edits. But I still think they have strong supportive roles that can help them out immensely.
I’m scared... but then again, it is horror movie mafia lol

Natiko

You’re right, the swinginess is primarily aimed at how the neutrals act and if town hits themselves.
But even in worse case scenarios, town still has a good chance. I definitely nerfed town a good deal with these edits. But I still think they have strong supportive roles that can help them out immensely.
I’m scared... but then again, it is horror movie mafia lol
Yeah, I think any game with this level of role madness is always going to be hard to perfectly balance.

Now you just need to be sure you've updated all the Role PMs and then I'll review those and we'll be good.

i'm sorry, i bet you hate me but i changed Frankie's role. I couldn't have two roles with the same name, it was driving me nuts lol.
So, i made him a Companion.
You are a 1-shot Companion. Who says monsters can't have feelings? During any night phase, you may target a player and both you and the target will be invulnerable to all night actions, including kills. Here's the drawback: if your target has issued a night action, that action will be aimed at you and will be the only action you are vulnerable to.

It's still pretty much a bulletproof, but it's also a wicked version of a tag team commute with potential for risky drawbacks.
What do you think?

Working on the rest of the role PMs now.

Natiko

I think that's okay. Has some real fuckery that can occur if done without warning. I kind of want to suggest making the doublevoter 3-shot, just to make it so scum doesn't HAVE to kill said player.

and how do shots normally work with that? does the shot only count if the double voter leaves it there til EOD or does a shot get depleted every time the command is issued?

and i just realized something: if chucky takes someones role and kills them, the person who flips as chucky, do they still have their same wincon or do they inherit chucky's wincon?
damn, i'd feel bad if they get labeled a neutral and now cant potentially still be apart of the winning team... how do i remedy this...

okay.. tell me if this would be bastard because im looking stuff up and the definition of that categorization is vague:
Chucky's role flips ( i.e "Chucky has died...") but without a player attached. And instead of saying chucky's target was chucky, the target is janitored.
This way, that old player can still be interpreted as that role, along with the new player (previously controlling chucky) who is now in the role.
So pretty much, +1 to the roster of that alignment, instead of switching chucky to a new alignment and the target to a neutral.
I can say the target is in limbo, still in chucky's body, but not able to control their actions anymore.

i would feel too bad for the player killed by chucky to not give them a chance to still be on a winning team..

Natiko

and how do shots normally work with that? does the shot only count if the double voter leaves it there til EOD or does a shot get depleted every time the command is issued?
I think it's gamerunner's discretion. I personally would say it's per phase, others say one use and done for each "shot".

and i just realized something: if chucky takes someones role and kills them, the person who flips as chucky, do they still have their same wincon or do they inherit chucky's wincon?
damn, i'd feel bad if they get labeled a neutral and now cant potentially still be apart of the winning team... how do i remedy this...
Yeah, that wouldn't be fair. Remind me - does Chucky gain their role or only their alignment?

Yeah, that wouldn't be fair. Remind me - does Chucky gain their role or only their alignment?
Alignment and role with any remaining shots left. Flavor wise, the target’s mind would still be in the body but just not able to control themselves anymore. So I’m thinking just keeping them the same alignment and Chucky would be that alignment now as well. Technically, two people as the same character but one is no longer in control.

Natiko

Alignment and role with any remaining shots left. Flavor wise, the target’s mind would still be in the body but just not able to control themselves anymore. So I’m thinking just keeping them the same alignment and Chucky would be that alignment now as well. Technically, two people as the same character but one is no longer in control.
@Pedro

Do you think it would cross the line into bastard if we pull a HVV and just have the player possessed by Chucky disappear from the player list?

@Pedro

Do you think it would cross the line into bastard if we pull a HVV and just have the player possessed by Chucky disappear from the player list?
To elaborate on this, if Chucky dies in their new host, I will announce during the flip that “blank and blank has died, they were BOTH [insert role here]...”

So, a temporary janitor? Depending or not if the new host dies. If they make it to the endgame, I will announce “blank and blank has been endgamed, they were both [insert role here]...”

Natiko

I personally think it would be the cleanest solution. If you say XXXX died and has been possessed by Chucky or something it will make people think Chucky is evil should they ever claim (when they might just be town at that point). If you say XXXX died and give no flip and no additional info it'll seem like a janitor shot was used of which we have a mafia role that does that so it may cause extra confusion. I think you definitely can't do that option - too messy. The best option in my mind is you drop the player chucky targets to possess from the player list (Cell eating people style) and ALSO post a highlighted message at day start with something like "Chucky has found a new host".

The best option in my mind is you drop the player chucky targets to possess from the player list (Cell eating people style) and ALSO post a highlighted message at day start with something like "Chucky has found a new host".
Going this route, does the Chucky role not flip alongside the highlighted message? And if the name disappears off the player list its still a janitor kill, just more like the cell one in HvV?

i think both you and i have the same idea, but adding in the highlighted text makes it more obvious to the players what has happened. Especially if the the chucky role pm is flipped alongside the highlighted text. but you're right, as im thinking about it, having the text will make it less likely for people to suspect a janitor kill.

im down with the highlighted text alongside the chucky flip and the removing of the player from the player list

how does this sound?
But you don’t want to hide all your life, do you? During Night 5 or any night after, you may target a player by messaging the game runner the command POSSESS: <target> to inherit their role and alignment. The targeted player will die but will win/lose alongside you as that same character. If the target has an ability with all shots depleted, you will inherit no shots. If they have shots left, you will assume all remaining shots. The game runner will inform the players that "Chucky has found a new host."

i also stumbled across some complication with the vengeful: if i put him above the untargettables, im bound to get people pissed off if they select someone overnight that can use that kind of night action. right after that is fine right? there's no reason a role blocker, tracker or killer would targer them anyways.

Also, the motivator is now a Recharger. They operate similarly, but i like the "extra shot to use on another day" element with this than the "use two shots on the same night" element of the Motivator. I don't think it will effect the balance much.
You make a mighty inspiring sandwich. During any night phase, message the command RECHARGE: <target> to the game runner and come the next night phase, if that player has a compatible x-shot night action, they will gain an additional shot to use on another night.

Natiko

Ohhh, you're wanting to post the Chucky flip still? Okay that makes it easier. I think in that case it's fine to post that XXXX has died, no role PM, follow it with the Chucky highlighted message except maybe expand it with another line saying "This is what Chucky leaves behind" or something and then post the Chucky role PM. If players can see that PM then they'll not have to wonder about what exactly Chucky did, and thus be less likely to auto-lynch Chucky if they reveal. Don't think we need to bother with the removing from the player list stuff in that case.

Vengeful is easiest if you do it as a day or twilight action. That would mean commute, rolebocks, etc. wouldn't protect a player from the vengeful kill. The player that is vengeful would either submit their action to you during the day in advance of their lynch or within x minutes of the day ending.

Recharger is fine - do they lose the shot if they hit someone that isn't x-shot?

Yeah, that's what i was envisioning. I'll work on the wording of the message.

It would have to be right after the day ends because they can only kill someone that voted for them at EOD.
So, maybe i will indicate to the player at the start of the game that it'll be important to be around for EOD? I can give them 10-15-30 minutes of Twilight to choose their kill. With the timezone differences, would that be fair? because if i do this, i'd rather wait for their choice before revealing that the Vengeful was lynched. I want to reveal both deaths at the same time.
If anything, I can add a twilight phase for 30 minutes for that phase only?
Like:
Day Ends
---*separate posts*----
Twilight Phase Begins
All players except the one lunched has [insert length of time here] from now to talk amongst yourself before the Night Phase begins.

I'd like to refund his shot, yes.
13/24 characters are compatible for an additional shot. That's barely more than half the roster, so a lot of room for missed shots.
Non-town has 5/24 chance of getting a shot.
Town has 8/24. This is if i let Candyman inherit another passive shot (his name another 5 times), which i'm inclined to do.
Or we can take him off the list and make it 7/24.
I marked those compatible to get another shot from the Recharger in the design with a "/" symbol in front of the Day/Night Action indicated.

Natiko

If they submit it in advance it would be with the understanding that said player would have to end up being on their vote. I think allowing them to put it in, knowing it could become invalid, is better than forcing them to have to show up in a specific time frame just in case they can't (time zones, life, etc.).

I think you shouldn't let them recharge candyman. It would be nebulous whether you should do the next player that said five, if it should count from when they got the shot or from the first five after the initial five, if it could be the same player, etc.

If they submit it in advance it would be with the understanding that said player would have to end up being on their vote. I think allowing them to put it in, knowing it could become invalid, is better than forcing them to have to show up in a specific time frame just in case they can't (time zones, life, etc.).
What I can do is have them submit it in advance anytime during the day. I will let them override their decision every 12 hours during the day ONLY if their target unvotes them. Lastly, I’ll give them the option to change their vote right after EOD if they’re around and if they are the lynch, obviously. Does that sound fair?

I think you shouldn't let them recharge candyman. It would be nebulous whether you should do the next player that said five, if it should count from when they got the shot or from the first five after the initial five, if it could be the same player, etc.
Okay, so Town would have 7/24 chance to get hit. Scum, 3/24 and neutral 2/24. 5/24 chance for non-town.

I can live with that. I made the recharger a 2-shot and the nexus a 1-shot instead of a 2-shot.

Natiko

What I can do is have them submit it in advance anytime during the day. I will let them override their decision every 12 hours during the day ONLY if their target unvotes them. Lastly, I’ll give them the option to change their vote right after EOD if they’re around and if they are the lynch, obviously. Does that sound fair?

Okay, so Town would have 7/24 chance to get hit. Scum, 3/24 and neutral 2/24. 5/24 chance for non-town.

I can live with that. I made the recharger a 2-shot and the nexus a 1-shot instead of a 2-shot.
Yep, that sounds fair and I think that last change is fine too! Just let me know when you're finished with PMs and the order of operations and I'll give this the final stamp of approval (again).

Natiko

Order of Operations Notes:
  • Vengeful is a day/twilight command and doesn't need to be on this list
  • I have no idea if a Hider should be able to hide behind a Nexus. Hider should either be before or after Nexus
  • I also have no idea if a Roleblocker can block a Nexus. They can block a redirect though, so maybe?
  • My gut says it should go Hider->Roleblocker->Nexus, but I don't know that you can technically be wrong in any order unless @Pedro has any idea on how Nexus works priority wise
  • Tailor should be after the Mafia Kill
Everything else on that looks good. I'll try and get to the role PMs soon.

• I also have no idea if a Roleblocker can block a Nexus. They can block a redirect though, so maybe?
i did some digging and role blockers cant traditionally block passive roles. but i dont think it gets redirected though. i think the RB just fails then.
i guess Candyman is safe from it, too.
so, Hider -> Nexus -> RB

i took off the vengeful and moved down the tailor.

Natiko

i did some digging and role blockers cant traditionally block passive roles. but i dont think it gets redirected though. i think the RB just fails then.
i guess Candyman is safe from it, too.
so, Hider -> Nexus -> RB

i took off the vengeful and moved down the tailor.
Seems fine to me! Still haven't had time to go through PMs.

Pedro

The Last Airbender is actually a great movie
Uhh, I told people that I was not in this game anymore after it had been approved the first time, because unfortunately I wouldn't have time to work on it again :x Y'all should ask the Review Team for someone else to help here, but I hope everything works out!

Natiko

Okay, I thought about it (in regards to order of operations):

• I think Nexus should be second - the Companion, Roleblock, Hider, etc. would all also redirect to a different random target. It makes the most sense to treat it similar to a commute in that nothing can get around it priority wise (excluding a kill)
  • I think Hider should go before Companion
  • Should Trapper go..last? I guess? It sounds counter intuitive but since it should be RNGing between all other visitors it doesn't make sense to trigger before all of the actions have finished
Other thoughts/role PM stuff:

• Vanillaizer - You wouldn't want this blanking out the cult would you? If you want the convert to still be able to happen I would tweak the verbiage of the role PM to say "excluding voting and/or faction abilities"
  • Candyman - Maybe it should say "Once certain criteria have been met, you will learn..." at the beginning instead?
  • Nexus - Does each action get redirected independently or will all actions that target this player get redirected to a single player each night?
  • Will the Adrenaline Junkie be informed if their ability has activated?
  • Recharger - So they target someone N1, the target is only informed on N2, and they can't use the additional shot until N3? Is that how you want it?
  • Double Voter - Still not clear if it's each use takes a shot or each phase used takes a shot
  • Vigilante - Should specify Day Vigilante if it can only be used during the day
  • Vengeful - So if they pick a player, and said player unvotes before EOD, but the Vengeful player isn't around and gets voted out - does the selected target still die?
  • Grave Robber - You should probably list on the spreadsheet somewhere what roles are valid to rob
  • Black Phillip - I would maybe tweak the PM to say Witches will lose their existing role - the way it reads now it sounds like they'll gain new abilities
  • The Witch role PMs should say "a part" instead of "apart"
  • Gamerunner PM should say "infinite" (small typo correction - I assume this is the example PM)

I think Nexus should be second - the Companion, Roleblock, Hider, etc. would all also redirect to a different random target. It makes the most sense to treat it similar to a commute in that nothing can get around it priority wise (excluding a kill)
I'm fine with that. And while on the subject, yes, the nexus redirects to different random players each action placed upon them on a specific night. It's a chaotic role indeed, and that's why i reduced him to 1-shot.

I think Hider should go before Companion
Is it because it's a more known role? I don't mind, was just wondering.

Should Trapper go..last? I guess? It sounds counter intuitive but since it should be RNGing between all other visitors it doesn't make sense to trigger before all of the actions have finished
That's a good point. Not sure why I put him above the recruiters. Normally being above the cops wouldnt be a big deal but since there are recruiters, he would need to be below not just them but the cops as well to make it a fair game. I'm fine with putting him on the bottom or above the trackers.
Vanillaizer - You wouldn't want this blanking out the cult would you? If you want the convert to still be able to happen I would tweak the verbiage of the role PM to say "excluding voting and/or faction abilities"
I actually don't mind. I hope that doesn't sound shitty, but if they just so happen to hit Phillip w/ their one shot, good on them.
Candyman - Maybe it should say "Once certain criteria have been met, you will learn..." at the beginning instead?
Changed.
Will the Adrenaline Junkie be informed if their ability has activated?
I was going to tell him. I put the results message in the design sheet saying "you have one day to live."
Recharger - So they target someone N1, the target is only informed on N2, and they can't use the additional shot until N3? Is that how you want it?
Ooft, I definitely worded that shitty. No, I want the target to be notified that they've received an extra shot at the end of the same night phase and them able to use it starting the following night phase. I fixed that.
Double Voter - Still not clear if it's each use takes a shot or each phase used takes a shot
I think it's only fair that every time the command is used, the shot be depleted. Not only is the shot itself powerful at EOD, but the threat of it being around and/or being in play is powerful, too. It's also a 3-shot, which is generous imo. I reworded it.
Vigilante - Should specify Day Vigilante if it can only be used during the day
Changed.
Vengeful - So if they pick a player, and said player unvotes before EOD, but the Vengeful player isn't around and gets voted out - does the selected target still die?
No. I edited it to make the role clearer. A lot clearer.
The Witch role PMs should say "a part" instead of "apart"
Changed.
Gamerunner PM should say "infinite" (small typo correction - I assume this is the example PM)
Changed.
Grave Robber - You should probably list on the spreadsheet somewhere what roles are valid to rob
Okay, I put it in the notes of the grave robber. How unfair would it make the game if the innocent child and trapper were included?

Natiko

I'm fine with that. And while on the subject, yes, the nexus redirects to different random players each action placed upon them on a specific night. It's a chaotic role indeed, and that's why i reduced him to 1-shot.

Is it because it's a more known role? I don't mind, was just wondering.

I think it makes more sense for the Hider to be able to hide and avoid the Companion action.

That's a good point. Not sure why I put him above the recruiters. Normally being above the cops wouldnt be a big deal but since there are recruiters, he would need to be below not just them but the cops as well to make it a fair game. I'm fine with putting him on the bottom or above the trackers.

I think putting it at the bottom and just making a note that the track and the trap happen simultaneously is fine (e.g. the tracker can track the trapper, but can also spring the trapper's trap)

I actually don't mind. I hope that doesn't sound shitty, but if they just so happen to hit Phillip w/ their one shot, good on them.

Very brutal, but if that's your desire go for it.

Changed.

I was going to tell him. I put the results message in the design sheet saying "you have one day to live."

Ooft, I definitely worded that shitty. No, I want the target to be notified that they've received an extra shot at the end of the same night phase and them able to use it starting the following night phase. I fixed that.

It honestly probably needs a further tweak. Maybe something like "...the target will inherit an additional shot if applicable." Technically they could hit the double voter which would not be restricted to waiting until the next night phase.

I think it's only fair that every time the command is used, the shot be depleted. Not only is the shot itself powerful at EOD, but the threat of it being around and/or being in play is powerful, too. It's also a 3-shot, which is generous imo. I reworded it.

Changed.

No. I edited it to make the role clearer. A lot clearer.

It still feels clunky, but it at least makes sense (aside from a typo - mine should be mind). That said I'd rather it just be something like "You may issue the command in advance of day end. Should you be voted out and your command be a valid player with a vote on you they will die. If not, you have X minutes to submit a final command. If you are not present to issue a valid command, the gamerunner will RNG the selection between the players that voted you (including a none option) to determine your action."

Changed.

Changed.

Okay, I put it in the notes of the grave robber. How unfair would it make the game if the innocent child and trapper were included?

Probably too strong, but there are options you didn't include that I would. My gut says Companion, Doctor, Recharger, Tracker, Commuter, Ability Watcher.
Responses in red.

Also as I was looking at it again, did we ever discuss the Recharger and the Governor? Because that's a no no. Players will be super unhappy if one player gets to determine the lynch three times.

Also as I was looking at it again, did we ever discuss the Recharger and the Governor? Because that's a no no. Players will be super unhappy if one player gets to determine the lynch three times.
Yeah, we did and the Governor cannot be recharged, no way lol

I think putting it at the bottom and just making a note that the track and the trap happen simultaneously is fine (e.g. the tracker can track the trapper, but can also spring the trapper's trap)
Okay, i made a notation in the Operations tab.

It honestly probably needs a further tweak. Maybe something like "...the target will inherit an additional shot if applicable." Technically they could hit the double voter which would not be restricted to waiting until the next night phase.
Wasn't going to let any of the day actions be rechargeable but since each usage of the double vote command depletes a shot, i think the doublevoter could do with a possibility of a shot recharge.

Probably too strong, but there are options you didn't include that I would. My gut says Companion, Doctor, Recharger, Tracker, Commuter, Ability Watcher.
Okay, in that case, I'm going to just make the I.C. ability activate on Day 2 passively. This way I don't have to worry about one less night command and it will be easier. And are you sure we can't keep the trapper on the list? LOL i want people to die, as you can see. This is the list then: Doctor, Recharger, Commuter, Companion, A.C, Doublevoter, Tracker, A.W, Trapper.
9 options sounds fair.

It still feels clunky, but it at least makes sense (aside from a typo - mine should be mind). That said I'd rather it just be something like "You may issue the command in advance of day end. Should you be voted out and your command be a valid player with a vote on you they will die. If not, you have X minutes to submit a final command. If you are not present to issue a valid command, the gamerunner will RNG the selection between the players that voted you (including a none option) to determine your action."
Hmm, i never considered the RNG mechanic in this way. Including the none option would be a good idea, too. How many minutes should I give them to submit the command?

Natiko

Yeah, we did and the Governor cannot be recharged, no way lol

Okay, i made a notation in the Operations tab.

Wasn't going to let any of the day actions be rechargeable but since each usage of the double vote command depletes a shot, i think the doublevoter could do with a possibility of a shot recharge.

Okay, in that case, I'm going to just make the I.C. ability activate on Day 2 passively. This way I don't have to worry about one less night command and it will be easier. And are you sure we can't keep the trapper on the list? LOL i want people to die, as you can see. This is the list then: Doctor, Recharger, Commuter, Companion, A.C, Doublevoter, Tracker, A.W, Trapper.
9 options sounds fair.

Hmm, i never considered the RNG mechanic in this way. Including the none option would be a good idea, too. How many minutes should I give them to submit the command?
Recharging the trapper could be swingy but since it isn’t aimed and it’s an edge case I’ll allow it.

I’d say 15 is fair and you may be using that time to do flavor stuff anyways. If they’re voted out you can post a please standby while you get the stuff ready as well to let people know it’ll be a moment.

Recharging the trapper could be swingy but since it isn’t aimed and it’s an edge case I’ll allow it.

I’d say 15 is fair and you may be using that time to do flavor stuff anyways. If they’re voted out you can post a please standby while you get the stuff ready as well to let people know it’ll be a moment.
Okay, how does it sound now?

Seems good! I think this is done again if you’re good with it. Sorry we had to go through this all - hopefully you like the new version more!
I like it a lot more. I was in no particular rush, anyways. Glad I can run it without the stress of school on my mind. Thanks for all your help, Natiko :D

I hate that i have to return to adjusting this game but it looks like a 17 player format is going to be the safer bet due to our member count these days. So, i would like to only have this run as 17 players. I kept the 25 player version on there just as a reference to the changes that have been made. Let me know if you have any questions @Natiko
3 scum and 1 neutral variant sound good here?

Last edited:

Natiko

Whoops I am so sorry, totally slipped my mind. I'll take a look and let you know what I think.

Natiko

Gut reaction says it should be 4 scum members. The neutral doesn't directly harm either faction so I don't think it really plays into the ratio much. Town is stacked with PRs which means the ratio should be more aggressive imo, especially since scum don't have buck wild PRs or anything. Town also needs the roles tweaked. Governor, three flavors of vig, cop, tracker, doctor, and watcher is too much compared to what scum has and in general is probably too much for a game of this size now.

Okay, first instinct is to get rid of the governor, since its a day action and cant be RBd, and replace him with Dr Caligari for the scum team. That would leave the scum team vs everyone else percentage at 23-25% which is a sweet spot, i agree.
My next instinct would be to replace the vengeful or tracker with another role, such as the doublevoter.

I've been going back and forth with making the Doctor have finite shots. Doing that and keeping the roleblocker infinite might make Scum that much more aggressive. The question is, how many shots is appropriate? Also, I decided to axe the Vengeful. That gets rid of a killing role, and a role that had a higher percentage of killing scum than let's say, the Vig.
Btw, Candyman only reveals flavor and role now, and not alignment (that was pretty overkill). Also, Chucky is no longer a Hider and he can only possess but he can do that starting N3. But I'm having trouble naming his role now LOL

Natiko

You could do 3-shot or no self protects for the Doctor. Candyman is still a quasi cop because all of those scum roles will likely get them voted out so that might be something to consider. Caligari probably needs to lose the lynchproof - but if you wanted the role to be more than just a godfather a less disruptive second power might be okay. Can the Graverobber use expended powers? I can’t recall.

I was going to make the doctor 3-shot, too, so let's just go with that.
Grave Robber gets 1-shot of the specified role, no matter if they've been depleted or not.
Candyman is still a quasi cop because all of those scum roles will likely get them voted out so that might be something to consider.
Yeah, I did consider it but it would be quite the role to make up if claimed. If Town doesnt believe their claim then that's on them.

I'd rather get rid of the alignment cop than Candyman tbh, and i've considered it since we're downsizing and replacing roles anyways. Maybe having the Innocent Child instead of the Alignment Cop? That way we could just get rid of Caligari being a Godfather and keep him just a Lynchproof?
And make Candyman reveal flavor and alignment (instead of role) to give them one random alignment check, leaving the entire scum team susceptible to the check since no Godfather will be in play.

Natiko

I would lean towards not letting the graverobber use the trapper. I think lynchproof might just be too strong for a small game. I’d lean towards making them loved or something.

I get you, I didn't take the smaller game into consideration when thinking about the lynchproof.
Okay, since it is a smaller game, I don't mind taking the Trapper from the G.Robber repertoire.
So, I made Caligari into a Strongman (kinda like how M.Myers was minus the BP) and gave him 2 shots.
And I took out the Alignment Cop and added the I.C. to solve the possible Candyman added suspicion scenario. Doublevoter only has 2 shots now because of the shorter game.

Btw, I did a thing
4FC41278-0D31-4FE1-AFC3-758597FC363E_4_5005_c.jpeg

Natiko

Nice! A lot better than I could do lol The game feels like it’s in a good spot again. You could probably add the double vote to the Graverobber if desired but it’s inconsequential. I feel like it would make sense to combine the ninja and strongman onto one role instead of pairing ninja with tailor but it’s not really a balance consideration so that doesn’t matter either.

I didnt realize the robber could only use 4 abilities now... so i’ll add the doublevoter to make it a little more fair.
Hmm. Has the ninja action been able to be used with a scum team members ability in the past? I think that would be kinda cool.

Natiko

Probably, though it's obviously less common. Also, I just realized it's not a role flip tailor - it just is the alignment change for the night. That seems pretty unnecessary given there's only a single alignment check in the game now.

Probably, though it's obviously less common. Also, I just realized it's not a role flip tailor - it just is the alignment change for the night. That seems pretty unnecessary given there's only a single alignment check in the game now.
Omg great catch!! I wouldve got burned for that bad lol. Well, i do want to make her ninja ability like i mentioned, i think that would be cool for the scum team. Now to fix the tailor issue... i’ll get back with something tonight.

I think im going to make Suspiriorum a Switcher.
Because she’s a Witch... and my name is fucking TEARABLEPUNS, NATIKO.

1-shot Ninja + 2-shot sWitcher? Lol

Okay. How do we feel about the balance?
One gripe i have is the amount of options the grave robber has to choose from seems low. What do you think about it?

At this point, does it seem like one team has an edge over the other?

Natiko

There’s really not many other choices for the grave robber ability to add in though. Like what would you include of the others? As for balance my gut says Town is stronger, but it might be slightly biased because scum just have fairly standard roles compared to Town.

But we just got done weakening the scum team by getting rid of the lynchproof... lol
I can add a shot to the role cop and maybe think of something else but idk.
I didnt want to give them cheap killing roles like the poisoner or things like that because i never liked that role.
I much rather Town killing themselves randomly than scum getting easy kills on Town. And without an actual alignment cop, town killing themselves is a lot more likely.

Like what would you include of the others?
Hell, maybe give him the ability to use dead scum roles? Even though RB, Switch and Role cop can be anti-town, why tf not give them the option to do what they want? They might end up doing something impressive with them

Natiko

Lynchproof is a much stronger role than anything else they have, that’s why I said it’s closer now. Town just has the crazier powers for sure, but they at least are mostly all x-shot.

I think what can even it out is giving the Strongman a 1-shot ability that is somewhat innocuous. Then every scum player has some ability they can claim that isn’t 100% scummy like strongman or ninja. Role Cop, Switcher, Roleblock, and ??? as Town claims are possible to pull off at least.

Lynchproof is a much stronger role than anything else they have, that’s why I said it’s closer now. Town just has the crazier powers for sure, but they at least are mostly all x-shot.

I think what can even it out is giving the Strongman a 1-shot ability that is somewhat innocuous. Then every scum player has some ability they can claim that isn’t 100% scummy like strongman or ninja. Role Cop, Switcher, Roleblock, and ??? as Town claims are possible to pull off at least.
Is there a name for a role that can check a player and upon the checker's death, the checked player dies too?

and what do you think of the grave robber being able to use scum powers too?

I feel like it's a vengeful variation but the check is used way ahead of time. Also, you can put a day limit on it; cant check the player until N3 or something

Natiko

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of such a role personally.

I think letting the robber steal the Role Cop is too strong. Roleblock or Switcher could be okay.

Okay, let me know if im crazy:
Caligari can be either a 2-shot strongman OR the player can wait until N3 and use the ability i described above; check a player and at the time of Caligari’s death, that player will die too.

So its either or based on how the player prefers to play. I can call it a Vengeful, Vengeful Lover or something along those lines so it wont be obviously scum like Strongman

Natiko

What about making the Switch/Ninja a full blown JOAT by adding the Strong to it. Making this new role take the place of the former strongman entirely?

Also let’s math:

12-4-1

11-4-1 D1 End

9-4-1 N1 End

7-4-1 D2 End

6-4-1 N2 End

5-4-1 D3 End

4-4 N3 End

So game could end by D4 which feels a bit fast for a game this size, but it’s probably not the most likely outcome. On the flip side scum could get blitzed and lose by the end of D2 so it’s only fair I guess.

What about making the Switch/Ninja a full blown JOAT by adding the Strong to it. Making this new role take the place of the former strongman entirely?
Are you asking me to make the villain from my favorite horror movie of all-time even cooler?
You know my answer here :)
On the flip side scum could get blitzed and lose by the end of D2 so it’s only fair I guess.
RIP. I’ll shield you from the the tomato throws, Nat

On a serious note, i’ll take that risk. It’s WCS and if Town gets that lucky + scum plays that poorly to be killed by day 2, so be it.
I’ll make those changes to both scum and the grave robber.
Honestly, i proposed the either/or when it came to that vengeful lover ability because i thought it might make the game more imbalanced.
Now scum has an alt variation of a killing ability, but at least its regulated.

Natiko

Well as part of the JOAT change you’d make all abilities 1-shot, so they’d have less uses overall in exchange for adding the new targeted lynchbomb (which is basically what the role is). I think it should operate that way too so the town killing roles wouldn’t trigger it.

I think the balance is okay, it’s just a swingy game. I’ve learned that killing roles and RNG roles are the two things that most impact the stability of a game. That doesn’t mean they have to be avoided, just is how it usually shakes out.

N2 or N3 I say
And should we consider it a kill shot? I ask this because of the Nexus. Should the Nexus be able to deflect it or not? Because if so, it could latch onto a scum team mate.
Also, if their target dies before they do, should I give them the ability to choose a different target?
I looked it up on Mafia Universe, and it looks like the closest thing would be a Hunter, so I chose that as the role name. Lynch Bomb was described as being a passive role, so I went with the former.

Last edited:

Natiko

Yes to it being a kill shot, I say no to being able to select again. That’s part of the risk!

Top Bottom