Proposal for how the Mystery Mafia game will work

Faddy

of, having, or involving transitory whims
OK so the Role PMs are just going to be super barebones.

That seems ok and a good reason for sending out more detailed PMs later.

One question though is what PMs will be given on the day 1 lunch and the night 1 kill? And if you are going barebones are you then going to go back and edit in the full details later.

Editing role PMs after reveal is something Geno has done in some games so you can do it too.

lokiduck

Awww yiss mothafuckin' breadcrumbs
OK so the Role PMs are just going to be super barebones.

That seems ok and a good reason for sending out more detailed PMs later.

One question though is what PMs will be given on the day 1 lunch and the night 1 kill? And if you are going barebones are you then going to go back and edit in the full details later.

Editing role PMs after reveal is something Geno has done in some games so you can do it too.
Yep that was the plan LOL.

I'm pulling a bit of a Geno/Volcano Island by changing all flipped PMs and the Sample once we reveal the flavor.

lokiduck

Here we go!!!

I made the Night 0 role PMs!!! So please look them over. C:

Here is the link for the roles that will be sent out on night 0.

And here is the Role PMs Doc for post flavor reveal midway on day 2.

Again let me know if anything is wrong.

Notable things.
-Larry and Brandi will be listed as vanillas on night 0 because both have powers based soley around the messages. However unlike Brandi, Larry will be lead to believe he is just a vanilla post reveal.
-Brandi won't find out she's a loyal messenger until the day 2 full PM reveal.
-Lisa won't know she's a package thief until her role pm reveal as well.
-If Stanford uses his role thief power night 1 (he will probs), he will still reveal the item clue hinting about the person's role. So if he checks Orville on night 1, he'll still get a water cooler.

Thought process about how to handle sending out role PMs.
Night 0 - Send pre-reveal ones.
Night 1 - Send info about message role in same PM.
Day 2- Send brand new Role PMs with the full role so it can be at the top.

@Verelios what do you think about everything? :D (pinging you since you don't always get notified when this one updates.

Faddy

The initial role PMs are fine.

Do you have a list of items for the Role Thief? Gossip = Water cooler. What are the other ones going to be?

lokiduck

The initial role PMs are fine.

Do you have a list of items for the Role Thief? Gossip = Water cooler. What are the other ones going to be?
Additionally we need items to represent all the different roles for the role thief. XD

Also does Stanford prevent people from send messages or should those be allowed to go through? If RB'd the item should be envelopes or boxes. XD

Here are my possible suggestions for the roles that apply as being Roleblockable.

Heather the HR Head: Parity cop - Employee records
Boris the Box Mender: Doctor - Duct tape
Patricia the Package Tracker: Tracker - tracking code
Bob the Mail Bomberer: Arsonist - Clock
Petrushka the Package Scannerer: Bomb Defuser - Package Scanner
Brandi the Brownnoser: Loyal - Employee of the month plaque?
Medina the Manager: Medium - Phone

The role thief is a RB meet Role Cop so we'd need items to rep the other non mail powers:

Larry the Lazy Employee: Miller - Bad employee records
Dan the Deliveryman: Even Odd Commuter - His Mail Truck
Orville the Office Gossip: Gossip - Water cooler XD

For fun:

Barry the Box Breaker: His fists???
Stanford the Stamp Thief: You stole your own pants \o/ !!!
Lisa the Label Maker: White Out.
Here is the list. The idea was to have the items fit the flavor, making it possible to figure out, but not super fucking easy. In many ways at most Stanford can use his power as a RB that is also a vanilla cop check since if he gets something other an envelopes, he'll know they have a power besides messenger.

However if you want to change something then that's cool.

Faddy

No that is all fine.

I think everything is good to go. All the PMs are done. All the mechanics look like they check out.

@Ty4on @Verelios

I am ready to approve so if you guys have any comments now is the time.

lokiduck

Just realized I put Brandi in the roleblockable group for the role thief, when tech she's like Larry where her powers are a passive so she's like the other vanillas in that her mail just gets RB'd. Still good for her to have a different item like Larry to make it clear she has passives tho LOL, but tech her powers aren't Roleblockable being passives.

It doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

Verelios

Were-elios
Here we go!!!

I made the Night 0 role PMs!!! So please look them over. C:

Here is the link for the roles that will be sent out on night 0.

And here is the Role PMs Doc for post flavor reveal midway on day 2.

Again let me know if anything is wrong.

Notable things.
-Larry and Brandi will be listed as vanillas on night 0 because both have powers based soley around the messages. However unlike Brandi, Larry will be lead to believe he is just a vanilla post reveal.
-Brandi won't find out she's a loyal messenger until the day 2 full PM reveal.
-Lisa won't know she's a package thief until her role pm reveal as well.
-If Stanford uses his role thief power night 1 (he will probs), he will still reveal the item clue hinting about the person's role. So if he checks Orville on night 1, he'll still get a water cooler.

Thought process about how to handle sending out role PMs.
Night 0 - Send pre-reveal ones.
Night 1 - Send info about message role in same PM.
Day 2- Send brand new Role PMs with the full role so it can be at the top.

@Verelios what do you think about everything? :D (pinging you since you don't always get notified when this one updates.
Everything looks great, and the pre-day 0 pms are perfect.
No that is all fine.

I think everything is good to go. All the PMs are done. All the mechanics look like they check out.

@Ty4on @Verelios

I am ready to approve so if you guys have any comments now is the time.
Haha, beautiful. That's one approval then, and I'm good with it so we just need Ty.

Verelios

Were-elios
Just realized I put Brandi in the roleblockable group for the role thief, when tech she's like Larry where her powers are a passive so she's like the other vanillas in that her mail just gets RB'd. Still good for her to have a different item like Larry to make it clear she has passives tho LOL, but tech her powers aren't Roleblockable being passives.

It doesn't matter in the scheme of things.
Yeah, I think it still makes sense for her to have an item since her passive is coupled with the message.

lokiduck

Yeah, I think it still makes sense for her to have an item since her passive is coupled with the message.
Yep, both her and Larry have passives, so they have an additional item. I made their items similar because they are basically opposites to each other flavor wise and Larry is a foil for Brandi.

Brandi loves her job a lot is a loyal messenger so Employee of the month plaque
Larry hates his job and is a lazy miller so he has bad employee records.

Faddy

Would it wreck the theme too much to have her N0 PM be loyal messenger? She’s a good employee, she would never forget o.o

Is this about Lisa, the Switcher? Or Brandi the loyal messenger?

For Brandi the way I see it is
N0 Brandi the loyal messenger (cop) gets a vanilla PM.
N1 they get the message PM.
At some point on Day 2 they get told their message is a cop check.

The cop not knowing they are a cop on day 1 is interesting to me.

lokiduck

Would it wreck the theme too much to have her N0 PM be loyal messenger? She’s a good employee, she would never forget o.o
Lisa is the scum switcher and she hates her job except for Stanford and Brandi, the latter of which is the good employee pfft.
Is this about Lisa, the Switcher? Or Brandi the loyal messenger?

For Brandi the way I see it is
N0 Brandi the loyal messenger (cop) gets a vanilla PM.
N1 they get the message PM.
At some point on Day 2 they get told their message is a cop check.

The cop not knowing they are a cop on day 1 is interesting to me.
And yes this is what I had intended with Brandi.

The idea is she thinks at game start "awwwww I'm just a boring vanilla" or is like "yay I'm a just a vanilla so i can't fuck up my powers" (I legit thought this in Scooby doo LOL).

Night 1 she is told she's a messenger and she's like "Oh okay neat I have a power now," so she just thinks of whatever she wants to say not even realizing she's the cop.

Day 2 she finds out she's the cop or possibly she doesn't figure it out (Town did not realize the two roles that flipped the day scum claimed cop could actually counter claim it because they were basically both weird cops), but she now has to figure out how to handle this. Does she try and find out if the person got her message? Does she consider this one a wash and focus on her messages in the future.

lokiduck

It’s mainly a nerf in that there’s a bigger chance of a D1 miss elimination since they can’t role claim.
Oh you mean in them getting lunched because it's assume they are a vanilla? That's still a risk for most of the players LOL though that specific concern only affects Brandi i guess since they are the only ones with mail specific powers thats think they are vanilla's day one (Larry continues thinking he's Vanilla, unless he realizes he is the miller.)

Ty4on

The 4 is silent
Oh you mean in them getting lunched because it's assume they are a vanilla? That's still a risk for most of the players LOL though that specific concern only affects Brandi i guess since they are the only ones with mail specific powers thats think they are vanilla's day one (Larry continues thinking he's Vanilla, unless he realizes he is the miller.)
Yeah, she’s got some protection by her role, perhaps most since she’s got decent confirmability.

Ty4on

The 4 is silent
It’s just a thing I’ve been thinking about, the cop being eliminated without knowing they were a cop is sorta unique

lokiduck

LOL well it's more likely they won't be lunched day one. There's always a chance they could be played by someone who has a tendency of that happening too of course which would up their chances but they have as just much chance of being lunched on day one as everyone else.

Faddy

It’s just a thing I’ve been thinking about, the cop being eliminated without knowing they were a cop is sorta unique

unique is good iimo. it is why we have bespoke games that we review rather than replaying standard set ups.

I'm ready to approve this. I don't see anything that doesn't work or hasn't been thought about carefully.

Ty4on

The 4 is silent
Last things to look over: what are the mafia fake claims?
I get the bulletproof one, but what role is the second one? I think those are kinda important since otherwise a mass claim is close to locking the game for town.

And a small suggestion: To avoid Brandi getting a different messenger ability, she could start the game as an ordinary townie with a loyal modifier. If she receives an ability then the loyal modifier will apply there, otherwise she’s vanilla. I don’t think that’ll give too much away since it will probably sound like there are many packages with one shot abilities flying around at night. The advantage is Brandi will then receive the same message as everybody else N1 instead of a bespoke one for her. Probably not gonna change much, but feels cleaner.

lokiduck

Last things to look over: what are the mafia fake claims?
I get the bulletproof one, but what role is the second one? I think those are kinda important since otherwise a mass claim is close to locking the game for town.
The other fake claim is a restless spirit which is someone that can vote after they die.

As for the fake claims, we don't need many because the scum team usually comes up with their own ones anyways. All we really need to do is give them the fake claims with the fake flavor names to go with them so the scum team gets that their fake claim needs to match and they'll think of something from there.

If they don't notice the flavor pattern we went with then that's on them at that point.

We can add more fake claims if you want, but we have a few good ones that'll help them understand the fake flavor mechanics.

What we had so far for this page:
Power : Barry flavor role / Stan flavor role / Lisa Flavor Role
Bulletproof : Best Employee/ Satisfactory worker / Long time Employee
Restless Spirit: Ballot Box Manager / Sick Employee (Works from home) / Law student (when she leaves the game she is leaving to focus on her studies, but her vote is some dirt she wanted to tell management about)

Faddy argued that being a package thief works as a fake claim for town and it kind of does since the automatic package stealing hurts the scum team since Lisa is highly likely to grab one of the package bombs and town might think that it'd be too risky of a power for scum to have with the bomber in the game.

Admittedly scum could use some powers to explain them visiting someone if caught by the tracker, so I guess we could add one fake power claim that fits why they would besides them just claiming they used their mail power.

Since some players can just be messengers in this game it's really easy for scum to just claim messenger unless they were caught visiting two different peeps. So again we don't need that many fake claims, since they will most likely just claim messenger or make up something on the spot like scum often does.

And a small suggestion: To avoid Brandi getting a different messenger ability, she could start the game as an ordinary townie with a loyal modifier. If she receives an ability then the loyal modifier will apply there, otherwise she’s vanilla. I don’t think that’ll give too much away since it will probably sound like there are many packages with one shot abilities flying around at night. The advantage is Brandi will then receive the same message as everybody else N1 instead of a bespoke one for her. Probably not gonna change much, but feels cleaner.
I don't think we need to do this. Why would a vanilla have a loyal modifier? It basically confirms to her player that she'll get a power in the future, and I'd much rather have her die thinking she's a vanilla than having her figure out early she's getting a power later.

As Faddy said, it's unusual, but sometimes stuff like that can add a little extra spice to a game.

Last edited:

Ty4on

The 4 is silent
I don't think we need to do this. Why would a vanilla have a loyal modifier? It basically confirms to her player that she'll get a power in the future, and I'd much rather have her die thinking she's a vanilla than having her figure out early she's getting a power later.

As Faddy said, it's unusual, but sometimes stuff like that can add a little extra spice to a game.
I was thinking because she’s the only player getting a different message. It’s not gamebreaking, but a universal effect that is different on one player can have some unintended effects though usually that is with mafia.
The other fake claim is a restless spirit which is someone that can vote after they die.
Oh ok, that’s fine, just make sure they know the role. Maybe I’m just extra thick, but I couldn’t figure out what it was lol

lokiduck

I was thinking because she’s the only player getting a different message. It’s not gamebreaking, but a universal effect that is different on one player can have some unintended effects though usually that is with mafia.
Yes on the latter part, but again I prefer just letting her know she's a vanilla until night, and then just a messenger until the middle of day 2.

The idea is no one knows what the theme is day 1 with absolutely no hints about it as even message specific info is hidden like Lisa being a package thief.

Night 1 everyone is given a message power and thinks they are the only one except for... the scum team and possibly the gossip and his partner 1. if the gossip used the command before day end 2. they share they got the ability.

The idea is to have as few people know what the big secret is as possible. Scum obviously learns early and that makes sense because they should know more than town, the gossip and partner may learn as a secret advantage on the two townies part.

We want as many people not realizing the twist night 1, because the idea is that all the players use their ability (since it's mandatory lol) thinking hopefully they are the only messenger. We want to have fun and interesting night 1 results based on how people respond to getting the ability.

By having Brandi be told from the very beginning that she is a loyal player, she'll assume she is getting some ability which is something scum won't even know. Additionally she may actually try and imply to town that maybe peeps can get powers in this game which ruins all my bobdamn plans and part of why I even wanted to do this, besides the fact that it may put heat on her later for that.

Faddy

I am happy with the decisions lokiduck has made and don't see the point of debating further. Either way would be fine and neither are necessaarily wrong or better.

vNXY4Qx.png

lokiduck

\o/ We did it!!!

Thank you both for all your ideas and help with our little game. c:

Ty4on

The 4 is silent
Yes on the latter part, but again I prefer just letting her know she's a vanilla until night, and then just a messenger until the middle of day 2.

The idea is no one knows what the theme is day 1 with absolutely no hints about it as even message specific info is hidden like Lisa being a package thief.

Night 1 everyone is given a message power and thinks they are the only one except for... the scum team and possibly the gossip and his partner 1. if the gossip used the command before day end 2. they share they got the ability.

The idea is to have as few people know what the big secret is as possible. Scum obviously learns early and that makes sense because they should know more than town, the gossip and partner may learn as a secret advantage on the two townies part.

We want as many people not realizing the twist night 1, because the idea is that all the players use their ability (since it's mandatory lol) thinking hopefully they are the only messenger. We want to have fun and interesting night 1 results based on how people respond to getting the ability.

By having Brandi be told from the very beginning that she is a loyal player, she'll assume she is getting some ability which is something scum won't even know. Additionally she may actually try and imply to town that maybe peeps can get powers in this game which ruins all my bobdamn plans and part of why I even wanted to do this, besides the fact that it may put heat on her later for that.
Yeah I know. I think her messenger reveal PM should be written with than in mind and reveal her full ability right away so she doesn’t have three different roles in two days.
I am happy with the decisions lokiduck has made and don't see the point of debating further. Either way would be fine and neither are necessaarily wrong or better.

vNXY4Qx.png
No, need to talk about the arsonist balance again D:

Ok it can be approved (y)

lokiduck

Yeah I know. I think her messenger reveal PM should be written with than in mind and reveal her full ability right away so she doesn’t have three different roles in two days.
Most of the other players are going to be in the same boat where they won't have all the info until the full reveal like her (their's is more flavor related) so I still don't see it as that big of a deal.

I guess we could say she's a loyal messager in the power PM on night 1, but wouldn't she wonder if something was up especially when town probably asks the next day if everyone became a messenger?

Still it's not that big of a deal I guess, so if the others agree we can do it that way.

Verelios

Were-elios
I don't think it's a big sticking point if we don't tell her since the game is labeled as bastard. That's a big sign that there's some fuckery under the hood.

In other words, thanks @Faddy and @Ty4on for helping us through, and @lokiduck for pulling the weight. Ya'll are awesome, and this is for you.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom