Costume Party - Spectator Thread

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
ngl. Day 1 had me going “Oh this is pretty bad” for most of it. Also nothing gets town to fuck up more than when they do too good on an early day
That’s why it’s important to set down the foundation on D1 :angry:

Have the strong players that will die soon sort the playerbase for those that survive later days.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Did they know Rey was replaced? Was it not announced? lol if so but how do they not notice a difference there?

Natiko

Town's Friendly Neighborhood Serial Killer
Did they know Rey was replaced? Was it not announced? lol if so but how do they not notice a difference there?
It was not - figured I'd leave it to mysterious Rey #2 if they wanted to share that info. Should be obvious given they asked for catch up info but..people aren't paying attention so..

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
It was not - figured I'd leave it to mysterious Rey #2 if they wanted to share that info. Should be obvious given they asked for catch up info but..people aren't paying attention so..
It should be moderator announced, that’s the precedent from earlier costume games.

Natiko

It should be moderator announced, that’s the precedent from earlier costume games.
There's literally nothing stopping them from saying it themselves, and given half the people in costume games want to disguise themselves why would I force something upon a player that can narrow down the list of who it is? Hell, any player could pretend to be a new replacement every day for all I care. We've barely done any of these, I wouldn't count much of anything as a 'precedent'.

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
There's literally nothing stopping them from saying it themselves, and given half the people in costume games want to disguise themselves why would I force something upon a player that can narrow down the list of who it is? Hell, any player could pretend to be a new replacement every day for all I care. We've barely done any of these, I wouldn't count much of anything as a 'precedent'.
Precedent is still precedent, if the game does something unorthodox that should be announced early and I've never seen a game where replacements are hidden.
There are several rules banning discussion about replacements.

Natiko

Precedent is still precedent, if the game does something unorthodox that should be announced early and I've never seen a game where replacements are hidden.
There are several rules banning discussion about replacements.
The very nature of a costume game bucks the orthodox. By all means we would not typically let people 'game' gender identity, but we make an exception to allow anonymity and flexibility. We held sign-ups primarily in private for this game - that wasn't "standard" but was done to allow people secrecy, despite not doing that for all previous games or costume games. This is no different, and there is absolutely no rule preventing someone from revealing or discussing that they're a replacement. The rules are about questioning why someone WAS replaced, not that you are a replacement.

turmoil7

Imperial Corps Commander Who Cheers the Army
faking replacing is something I thought to do but would had not dared had I played

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
The very nature of a costume game bucks the orthodox. By all means we would not typically let people 'game' gender identity, but we make an exception to allow anonymity and flexibility. We held sign-ups primarily in private for this game - that wasn't "standard" but was done to allow people secrecy, despite not doing that for all previous games or costume games. This is no different, and there is absolutely no rule preventing someone from revealing or discussing that they're a replacement. The rules are about questioning why someone WAS replaced, not that you are a replacement.
The secret sign ups were known beforehand and this is a moderator decision. The rule is also quite generally worded and makes it sound like other players can't discuss whether or not someone were replaced:
"7. Please do not refer to, or discuss, player activity outside of this thread, for the sake of the game’s integrity. This includes discussing circumstances around player replacement."

Fanto

Confirmed Town
I'd say "circumstances around player replacement" is pretty clear in my opinion. The circumstances under which someone was replaced refers to exactly that, not the fact that someone is a replacement player. Questioning why someone was replaced or requested to be replaced is what the rule is referring to. IIRC it's meant to include the fact that someone could be replaced for breaking a rule outside of the game thread, like in a private chat, and so when it's announced that someone is being replaced people aren't supposed to speculate about things like that.

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
I'd say "circumstances around player replacement" is pretty clear in my opinion. The circumstances under which someone was replaced refers to exactly that, not the fact that someone is a replacement player. Questioning why someone was replaced or requested to be replaced is what the rule is referring to. IIRC it's meant to include the fact that someone could be replaced for breaking a rule outside of the game thread, like in a private chat, and so when it's announced that someone is being replaced people aren't supposed to speculate about things like that.
Circumstances is supposed to cover out of game stuff like IRL issues, but as a word it means "everything" about something.
"Did this player ask for a replacement" is asking about something that happened outside of the game thread in a discussion with the moderator.

Natiko

Circumstances is supposed to cover out of game stuff like IRL issues, but as a word it means "everything" about something.
"Did this player ask for a replacement" is asking about something that happened outside of the game thread in a discussion with the moderator.
...yes. You are literally pointing out that it applies to the player that replaced out and the reasoning behind why they did. It has nothing to do with the incoming player being a replacement. You can go look at, no joke, just about any game in the history of this community and see an incoming replacement player talking about the fact that they are a replacement with nary a warning or modkill in sight.

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
...yes. You are literally pointing out that it applies to the player that replaced out and the reasoning behind why they did. It has nothing to do with the incoming player being a replacement. You can go look at, no joke, just about any game in the history of this community and see an incoming replacement player talking about the fact that they are a replacement with nary a warning or modkill in sight.
Where it is mod confirmed which changes everything. There's no discussion about this when it's mod confirmed and the entire game thread is notified because it's settled.
Discussing stuff that isn't mod confirmed like motivation for replacing isn't allowed.

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
I'm talking mostly about this from the other players' perspective.
I think lying about being a replacement is legal in my reading of the rules.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
The secret sign ups were known beforehand and this is a moderator decision. The rule is also quite generally worded and makes it sound like other players can't discuss whether or not someone were replaced:
"7. Please do not refer to, or discuss, player activity outside of this thread, for the sake of the game’s integrity. This includes discussing circumstances around player replacement."
I wouldn't take that as discussing whether or not someone was replaced, only the why - as in speculating if it was a scumchat fuckup, etc, which is the primary reason why that rule was implemented.

I mean, the only replacement announcement you get in a costume game would be "Rey has been replaced by Rey" lol so what does it matter if it's there or not? They know 1Rey only had 4 posts that day. They could see that 2Rey is posting differently.

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
I wouldn't take that as discussing whether or not someone was replaced, only the why - as in speculating if it was a scumchat fuckup, etc, which is the primary reason why that rule was implemented.

I mean, the only replacement announcement you get in a costume game would be "Rey has been replaced by Rey" lol so what does it matter if it's there or not? They know 1Rey only had 4 posts that day. They could see that 2Rey is posting differently.
Because I don't like when game rules change out of nowhere in an otherwise normal game.
And as you said it is a trivial "this person is now someone else" announcement so they understand.
The game is all about reading a player and this creates a bit of a hole when they're thrown a curve ball because they're suddenly not told something they're otherwise told.

Natiko

Because I don't like when game rules change out of nowhere in an otherwise normal game.
And as you said it is a trivial "this person is now someone else" announcement so they understand.
The game is all about reading a player and this creates a bit of a hole when they're thrown a curve ball because they're suddenly not told something they're otherwise told.
You're also normally told who a player actually is. Costume games are different. There is literally nothing preventing Rey from revealing they have replaced in, in fact they more or less already have. That I did not announce the replacement is not hidden information from them. This game originally had a million caveats about how to handle replacements as well due to the role about guessing the player behind costumes, so it was never going to reveal replacements. If you hate this you're really going to hate one of the roles in this game, but I guess it worked out then that you got bored and threw in the towel lol

Natiko

We can mark this as something to discuss in the review thread and see what people think, but it’s already done and so far doesn’t seem to be an issue so I’m inclined to let it ride as is.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
It's really not. It was suspicious when feps did it way back in LB2 because it was abnormal and stuck out. Sparks, who was obviously Sparks, often refers to the leading wagon as someone being bussed. It's pretty constant, and therefore doesn't stick out.

Add to that that this is obviously a different Rey and trying to kill there today is pretty sus. Yes, Rey has been a wildcard up to now. I can support that argument. But you can give the obvious replacement a day and see if they are less wildcard. Especially when it's obvious from flips that multiple scum were under suspicion. That's a more active trail. Follow that one.

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
There’s a nonzero chance Sparks slipped and there’s a nonzero chance Ray was someone role playing a Sparks like personality to obfuscate their alignment and then slipped. Both can be true if you’re not spoiled.

Honestly they might be able to just sleepwalk into a W at this point. Man I'm going to be so pissed if my slip ends up being why we lose it
(i don't know how much the spec chat is spoiled but) i can see this being extremely hard for town without any more investigatives given the events on d1

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
(i don't know how much the spec chat is spoiled but) i can see this being extremely hard for town without any more investigatives given the events on d1

I don’t think we’re going open spoilers yet, but Monkey has it figured out. They’ll get Prisoner if not today, then tomorrow. Bob is going to give them problems, but I could see just throwing a Hail Mary there after a few days.

Fanto

Confirmed Town
Bob Ross said:
Hmm, didn't know Rey replaced out, idk how I feel about him now tbh, I'll keep my vote there because I never fully trusted him beside being a wildcard player. But like I said Prisoner is a fine lynch too for today, just one I'd keep for tomorrow personally.
This is one of the sketchiest posts I've ever seen.

Natiko

Might be a rough game end if I really have to replace two more people on basically Day 6 because they couldn’t be bothered to even hit 5 posts.

turmoil7

Yeah if they don't it would be an issue, you can be flexible and let them stay as it's almost endgame for the sake of not disrupting but there is no guarantee they will be around for the next phases.

turmoil7

if Prisoner is scum and whoever hated him exits the game next phase would be town 6 scum 1

rough end there for scum

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Is nuRey Stan?

Ah, I can edit, so I can stop posting ten times, lol. It's true that seeing Sparks show up in here did make it clear to us that it wasn't someone RPing, but it really didn't look like it from the thread either. And it isn't like our playerbase to flat out lie like that. While it would be fun to pretend to be a replacement, it would probably be frowned upon in post game.

Last edited:

Daenerys Targaryen

Costume Account
Might be a rough game end if I really have to replace two more people on basically Day 6 because they couldn’t be bothered to even hit 5 posts.
We should experiment with more modkills. One mod killed people below the minimum at random which created a really interesting D2 when we had a bunch of scum flips :p

Natiko

We should experiment with more modkills. One mod killed people below the minimum at random which created a really interesting D2 when we had a bunch of scum flips :p
If I modkilled everyone that had to or is in danger of needing to be replaced this game:

It would all be Town deaths lol

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Cinderella has been scum hated before so that should be a clue to his identity. It's not something that's done very often - I've had it in games but I don't remember it coming up a lot other than that.

turmoil7

Has anybody seen the key to my handcuffs? I must have dropped it somewhere...
I though Prisoner was zipped from this pun, there were others posts that made me feel like that too but won't go looking

My only current guess is Gorlak Obama

KAM I though was blarg/coolest but was told I was wrong

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
So just for the record...

...none of the people swapping votes around d1 were scum.

giphy.gif

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Scum doesn't have to have frantic discussions in thread. They CAN. It's just more likely to be town unless scum is showboating or trying to do a certain thing. People talking, trying to figure out where to go... more often town.

Prisoner, I'm dying to know who you are because that self-pres vote d1 really stuck out to me but I can't place it!

malus

#1 official chartmaker
I tried to be more talkative this game, but soon realized I couldn't keep it up. Especially not as Scum when every post needs to be double checked for slips and chats and what not.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
So just for the record...

...none of the people swapping votes around d1 were scum.

giphy.gif

In hindsight D1 was kind of amazing. I don't think I have ever seen an entire scum team targeted like that before. It was probably a good thing for them too as then no one else could believe all of them were scum either.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
Ah Malus my nemesis. Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed it was you with how you were playing. Not enough charts. Sorry I let you guys down there :(

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
I tried to be more talkative this game, but soon realized I couldn't keep it up. Especially not as Scum when every post needs to be double checked for slips and chats and what not.
Hey!! I'd have never guessed that was you, so that was a good job. I thought you were Obama at first, just stripped of your graphs. :D
In hindsight D1 was kind of amazing. I don't think I have ever seen an entire scum team targeted like that before. It was probably a good thing for them too as then no one else could believe all of them were scum either.
True, I can't remember that happening before.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF

This is my second having that happen as scum and yeah, it usually ends up screwing town up for a few days

Top Bottom