Spectator Thread The Check Out Desk

Nomad Sparkster

This is some wild shit maynard
Geno in terms of meta reads exists in the same plane as sorian

You never believe any of their claims

even if they claim fucking town

just no don't believe his lies and even if you vote him out you gave him an easy out

Nomad Sparkster

Curious

the only winning play playing with geno is not playing

that way you peserve what little sanity you have left and you feel better about your judgement

Nomad Sparkster

Im still genuinely shocked someone roleclaimed on day one

Next time I roll scum i hope with geno so I can gain insights and pick his brain

Nomad Sparkster

boy I genuine can't tell if geno did this train himself or if scum is behind it

really I genuinely don't know there

weemadarthur

Mad as in angry, or mad as in crazy?
Gosh he’s right, that IS a hard role to get. Can’t even be useful at end game to town with the double.

*rules lawyering* it didn’t SAY he had to vote on them on the day they get voted OUT. Just that he had to vote them…..sometime…..

Neki

Bought a book once
I would have let him live another day personally but maybe I was sympathetic to his plight.

Wow 3-shot neutral alignment cop with a voting stipulation for a wincon. That is a brutal freakin role.
*rules lawyering* it didn’t SAY he had to vote on them on the day they get voted OUT. Just that he had to vote them…..sometime…..
I immediately thought this as well reading the flip. I'd be curious to hear from Hedin if that is the case. That would make an optimal strategy be to vote someone different every day phase, which if not handled well would also lead to arousing a ton of suspicion. I know Geno was talking about this potentially being his last game for a while because he's been really busy at work, so maybe it's possible he got this role and then just tried some wild gambit for the hell of it that backfired.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
The intention was that he would have to be on the vote when they were voted out, hence the double vote to assist in that. However it is not worded great for that direction and if he had rules lawyered me I might have had to let it go.

The intention was that he would have to be on the vote when they were voted out, hence the double vote to assist in that. However it is not worded great for that direction and if he had rules lawyered me I might have had to let it go.
Okay cool I see, thanks for the explanation!

weemadarthur

If he voted the whole roster day one and then ghosted the game, he could have eventually won by attrition XD

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Yeah I didn't really want to try with this one ngl. I saw the role and went nope and tried a dumb plan in the hopes they let me go.
Did it never occur to you to wonder why it existed? Hedin is a new designer and who knows, maybe he's totally unexpected and weird, but LP as reviewer is not likely to let an unwinnable role just sail into the game for shiggles.

Did it never occur to you to wonder why it existed? Hedin is a new designer and who knows, maybe he's totally unexpected and weird, but LP as reviewer is not likely to let an unwinnable role just sail into the game for shiggles.
I'm sure there were a couple of things in there to make it a bit easier but I didn't have the time for it. I wanted to do a dumb play and so I did.

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
Hi, I've been out of the threads for a while, having a very busy weekend.
We've historically forbidden jesters because we've been pretty opposed to anything that can end the game incredibly early. If you have a jester and they get voted out day one, that's it, the game is over.
I did not actually realize that it was a written rule somewhere, I always thought it was an unwritten rule, but if you want to have a jester, you'd better have a really good reason and a really good plan for if they get voted out early. And the reviewer should probably say no anyway.

So…..the entire scum team is the non voters, i’m guessing?
There was definitely some scum in that vote.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
Well as of right now it looks like we're going to have two people joining us. One of them will be another neutral, which if you had asked me how I felt losing two neutrals in the first day/night cycle I would have told you it would be less than ideal (at least in terms of the game design).

weemadarthur

Hedin’s tag should be nideh but that’s a limited-group sort of joke about he’s hard to read in mafia.

Boo Randomly.

who Was boo radley anyway? I’m not sure but the name is familiar.

Vincent Alexander

My best friend is a monkey

Not really, im glad he's dead?
UnrulyLightGallinule-max-1mb.gif

Sawneeks

little green dog
the trick is to not talk at all so mafia or town don't target you. we love killing active players besides scum monkey.
but i wasn't even that active on day 1!

maybe next game i'll try an LP style and only post 10 times

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck
he's being too quiet for sure. blarg is too.

one of launch, fate, haw, and ATP feel off but i can't place it exactly yet. jman would go there too but he just feels so darn townie
Yeah Blarg really has been noticeably absent so far. I also feel off about Shirou for sure so far. I could certainly see any of the 4 as scum though. Day 1 was absolute coast city though so I don't really have any town reads at this point. Other than Jman.

Last edited:

weemadarthur

EC sounds scummy which means he is town.
ATP sounds scummy but it’s true that a hunter on top of a neutral scum-targeted cop is too many scum killing roles, so he is probably town.
Blarg is bored, which means his role bores him. NAI lol.

hawthorn reversed course too quickly on the cop claim, she may be scum.

Last edited:
I'm getting scum vibes from Hawthorn's Day 1, she seemed really uncertain and going back and forth, yet she allowed the Geno talk to eat up all her time and contributions.

I just read the entirety of Risk Mafia while waiting over the night phase and fried my brain circuits in the process, and now I'm more uncertain. From playing Scooby with her and from reading Risk, Hawthorn has no qualms with just straight up saying when she's unsure about something, instead of committing to an opinion and then waffling straight away, regardless of if she is town or scum herself. If I remove the metaread from it, Hawthorn looks scummy. If I include the metaread, Hawthorn looks out-of-character. I would keep an eye on her for sure.

(Maybe I shouldn't be doing metareads based off 2 games... They were standout games, but still)

Nomad Sparkster

:scream:

Losing two fucking neutrals oh my god

I don't like Launch rn my read of himself is always off and I always feel ashamed

but I don't like his playing right now

Nomad Sparkster

I'm getting scum vibes from Hawthorn's Day 1, she seemed really uncertain and going back and forth, yet she allowed the Geno talk to eat up all her time and contributions.

I just read the entirety of Risk Mafia while waiting over the night phase and fried my brain circuits in the process, and now I'm more uncertain. From playing Scooby with her and from reading Risk, Hawthorn has no qualms with just straight up saying when she's unsure about something, instead of committing to an opinion and then waffling straight away, regardless of if she is town or scum herself. If I remove the metaread from it, Hawthorn looks scummy. If I include the metaread, Hawthorn looks out-of-character. I would keep an eye on her for sure.

(Maybe I shouldn't be doing metareads based off 2 games... They were standout games, but still)
Hawthorne not committing to a read is so relatable early in the game is so relatable

It's just mid game and end game that's when it's scumtell really

Where is Blargh

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
That’s useful information for a disallowed role.

Also study being a tree stump. I actually DID pull that role once.
What game was that? I can onky think of one time that role has been used and I was pretty sure it wasn't you?

(That one's not a hard disallow, but I think it's discouraged.)

weemadarthur

What game was that? I can onky think of one time that role has been used and I was pretty sure it wasn't you?

(That one's not a hard disallow, but I think it's discouraged.)
Oh it wasn’t PURE tree stump, i still had a power. Um.

what game.
…….
……
i dunno man, aeleus remembers things for me now. Check the spreadsheet?

Hey jman, I'm super new to this community, but I really enjoyed playing Scooby with you. All of the old games I've read with you in them have been fun too. It would be a huge shame to lose you from this community and never get to play another game with you.

I totally understand being upset, Mafia can get really heated. I think you shouldn't quit, but taking a break might be wise. Either way, I think right now you should just log off and take a breather.

why are you asking for a ban jman? no one is upset with you (I don't think) and having an emotional response to mafia is normal. these games ask for huge amounts of personal time investment and it's only natural that people get emotionally invested in them too.

what people are asking is that you take care of yourself and your mental health by stepping away and coming back when your emotional output isn't so high.

there are ways to deal with your emotional response to the game that don't result in such extremes, and people are trying to tell you what you can do when it's hot in the thread, they're not trying to dogpile you, even though I know it can feel like that.

remember that mafia is a game about egos battling each other as much as it is a game about deduction, manipulation and social interaction. no one knows how you're going to respond to them, and you have a track record of being an emotional player so other people don't know when you're being genuine or when you're trying to manipulate them. it's just how the game is, and on top of all that are people's egos fueling arguments.

as someone who has a reputation of being a grumpy and hostile player, the way I try to keep myself from crossing lines is to straight up leave the site for a few hours and come back when I'm not as irritated. that's why other people are telling you to do the same. it works. take some time to cool off and come back to the game focused on doing what you can for your alignment instead of continuing whatever argument got you heated. you just have to recognize where that line is when you need a break.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
Hey all. Just so everyone is aware we have removed spec access for jman for the time being. It was not a good situation for him and was not really a good situation for the rest of us trying to deal with it.

Natiko

Town's Friendly Neighborhood Serial Killer
Yeah, we decided to just purge a lot of that mess for the emotional health of everyone involved, but I'll leave your kind messages up for him to see upon this thread going public. You're also free to reach out to him directly if you'd like - I know I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom