Pair Thread Houseparty for Homebodies! (U.S. Outpost 31, Night 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verelios

Were-elios
Anyways, anything we want to discuss majorly?

I'm only able to talk until I go to bed since I will probably be AWOL again until night ends LOL after I do based on the clock.

Unless the gamerunners are lying to us again :ghostcop: Though in this case I doubt it.
Well, any random thoughts on the day? People who give you a good feeling?

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
I know you're asking Loki, but I probably feel best about Ambulance, Nat, Random, Thorny, and probably Blarg right now? Hedin, Vere, and Zbeat would probably be the tier under that. That's mostly just gut reads, because there's nothing but vibes at the moment

lokiduck

Awww yiss mothafuckin' breadcrumbs
Well, any random thoughts on the day? People who give you a good feeling?
As I said in the main thread, everyone seemed to be fitting the meta I have for them except for ones I'm not as familiar with like Mazre lol.

However, I will look through everyone's posts when i get the chance. I'm watching a friend roll genshin :D :D :D

lokiduck

@Randomless :p Why did you say that hedin post was a good one? I made a joke about it being a pocket attempt because i wanted to come in game with a joke but I'm actually curious.

lokiduck

I think Ambulance is also a dog

:nobu:

His first post was about how wrong it is to shoot a dog and then he made that "who let the dogs out" reference.

I could be wrong since both posts were timed around mentions of dogs, but it's def a possibility .

This info is NAI since Chuggs is also a doggo, but if he really is a dog, then that puts my theory that dogs can't go on expeditions is wrong. >:(

It would be pretty funny tho if he is a doggo since his avatar is Missile lol. So yeah could totes be a coincidence.

nin1000

Chilean German Madman
Will, read through the thread now and see if something is off.

still am of the opinion that those who go will get it, but it can be 50/50 rng shinenigans.

lokiduck

His first post was about how wrong it is to shoot a dog and then he made that "who let the dogs out" reference.

I could be wrong since both posts were timed around mentions of dogs, but it's def a possibility .

This info is NAI since Chuggs is also a doggo, but if he really is a dog, then that puts my theory that dogs can't go on expeditions is wrong. >:(

It would be pretty funny tho if he is a doggo since his avatar is Missile lol. So yeah could totes be a coincidence.
actually if he is a doggo this might give more proof that maybe there was someone keeping Chuggs from going on the expedition.

:pikathink:

Something to consider.

lokiduck

HP voted for himself to go on the expedition.

He also said in a post that those who stay behind will most likely have a chance of being infected based on the flavor.

I'll check why he self voted but that kind of gives me a slight town push or at the very least that he's trying to avoid infection (since for all we know it's not connected to scum)

lokiduck

I'm also auto scum reading anyone telling peeps to watch the prequel moving

:mothman:

lokiduck

Okay so reread the day phase and I'll say that right now I'm probably feeling the most good about:

-Chuggs (def breadcrumbed being a doggo and seems very on Chuggs with his posts)
-Vere (same thing in fitting his general meta I know him to have as town)
-Maol (keeps it to the point with a little snark)
-Natiko (Seems pretty chill and just going with the flow).

In general most people are acting like the meta I have for them :nobu:

I can't even fully explain it but Hawthorn is doing her usual speculation about game mechanics and wordy posts, Kyan is acting lik he always does, and Z-Beat is well into flavor town and LOL after SU I am never falling into a tunnel on him again unless i have good reason to. :surprised:

really the player I feel the most off about is Rando. lol Your posts asking questions and putting out your extremely early reads on people seemed pretty performative to me but you were also scum read in mafioso so maybe it's just your style of play rubbing off on people

:musashishock: Basically i'm watching you buddy but even then I'm unsure. :pikathink:

The biggest thing that stood out to me is speculation about how the testing will go.

Things of note there:

Neki says town will be totally okay with being tested after understanding what testing actually meant. While he is def right as most town will be okay with it, there's the concern about the isolated being RB'd so naturally some town will be not wanting that if they got plans for their powers, especially when we don't know how permanently the isolation lasts.

Hawthorn wants to use testing to make a town core it seems, via testing people she's most trusting to know they are town and thus can be trusted further. This seems fine in theory, but it doesn't consider several factors. 1. if Iso is perm then the player is perm RB'd. 2. If it's for a night only, there's a chance they'll just get infected on a later night.

Random was against being tested to a point which makes sense to me as previously mentioned some town won't be as willing so while I'm wary about him, it's pretty NAI there.

Verelios several others (I think Hedin?) and my self support the plan of just focusing on testing the most suspicious players which again makes the most logical sense to me LOL. It's a mafia game even with the weird mechanics going on so we should naturally focus on suspicious people first and worry about confirming our town reads when we've hit a dead in especially if it's a temporary bandage.

As Chuggs said in thread we shouldn't probably treat it as a cop check.

:poisonsip:

lokiduck

I can't even fully explain it but Hawthorn is doing her usual speculation about game mechanics and wordy posts, Kyan is acting lik he always does, and Z-Beat is well into flavor town and LOL after SU I am never falling into a tunnel on him again unless i have good reason to.
What I mean by can't fully explain it is that I'm very confused because all the people have metas for are largely fitting their meta I have for them and that was what I was trying to say.

As for people I don't have meta for that'd be Anex and Mazre, but I guess I can toss Rando and Neki in there to.

While I've seen both Neki and Rando play, i think a lot of my odd feelings is based on still working my reads for them.

So...

@Verelios What do you think of Neki? Additionally, you were interacting a lot with Kyan in thread so what is your current read on him? Between Neki and Kyan, which if your former buddies do you trust more :daishouri:

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF

HP voted for himself to go on the expedition.

He also said in a post that those who stay behind will most likely have a chance of being infected based on the flavor.

I'll check why he self voted but that kind of gives me a slight town push or at the very least that he's trying to avoid infection (since for all we know it's not connected to scum)

I'm actually not sure if I agree, and I think he actually might be the player I'm most nervous about now that I'm thinking about it. He specifically says we shouldn't worry about who ends up where which makes his vote for himself at the end there look fine, but I'm not sure what he's doing freaking out about people not being around for EoD then? It seems like a pretty low stakes EoD

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
Like that's weird right? If you think it's not a big deal where people end up, why are you going all "Hmmmm" when people aren't really concerned about EoD?

lokiduck

I'm actually not sure if I agree, and I think he actually might be the player I'm most nervous about now that I'm thinking about it. He specifically says we shouldn't worry about who ends up where which makes his vote for himself at the end there look fine, but I'm not sure what he's doing freaking out about people not being around for EoD then? It seems like a pretty low stakes EoD

Good point. He never explained his self vote for himself, I just find it interesting that he chose to go to the expedition after earlier pointing out the flavor reasons our group would be more likely to get infected.

That's also a good point about him worrying about peeps not being around at EOD.

One thing I've been thinking about is why the game runners kept this game day phase short.

Having a sudden surprise snow storm makes sense in throwing off player expectations and fits flavor wise as well, but I think there were several reasons why the game runners would choose to do it.

1. We get a shorter day phase so we can move onto the real shit faster aka voting who we want to test for. A short day one lends to the theory that maybe no one was infected and this was again all to split up everyone so one group could have someone(s) being infected. That tracks if it's all RNG'd and if there's a player who does the infecting honestly.

2. It throws EVERYONE off track. All the players expect to have a normal day phase, so there's time to move things around if you want to. This is what works for scummies usually in that they can make their pushes for townie casually as they know they got the time to do it.

However, by the day getting cut short, everyone's plans went out the window and especially scummies if they were around this day phase since they may want certain players to be grouped up together before the end of the phase.

Because of this we may get some info from the people that voted after it was announced the day phase was ending early.

lokiduck

Like that's weird right? If you think it's not a big deal where people end up, why are you going all "Hmmmm" when people aren't really concerned about EoD?
:pikathink: Yeah that is def a bit weird. Maybe he was more concerned about where people went than he let on.

lokiduck

:math:

Just checking these were all votes made after the announcement.

EC voted ambulance as his chosen vote for the day.

Ambulance was excited about the prospect so much he voted for himself :blobpat:
This appears to be the AWAY TEAM roster so far:

Z-Beatself
Hawthornself
Kyanruteself & by Vere
A Wild Ambulance Appearsself & by EvilChameleon

Natikoby Chuggs
Chuggs by Maol & Hedin
Maolfunctionby Natiko
Nekiby Randomless
Randomlessby Blarg

So we have 4 volunteers and 5 voluntolds
Blarg made this post about who was going and who voted for them.

HP voted for himself without any comment about it.

Neki voted Blarg

and Blarg voted Neki.

lokiduck

oh shit Blarg also voted for Anex before Neki voted for Blarg. Sorry about missing that.

lokiduck

Okay i reread day end after the announcement and most peeps seemed pretty chill except of course for nin having to catch up and ask for a TLDR.

Looking at HP's comments... :math: He really only made two posts about EOD, one asking if they are close to day end and then asking why no one is panic voting.

Considering how our community does tend to panic in the last minute LOL, I guess it was a bit weird for a day end... but THEN again this voting day was way more different than most normal mafia days. To me it kind of reads like a casual joke comment, but it's also a bit weird just because of the circumstances... especially considering his vote to go and asking later if the day is going to end in a confused manner.

lokiduck

All right I should probably go to bed \o/

I'll see if I can check in on here before the thread closes, but we'll see based on how work goes LOL.

if I can't see your responses to my theories and questions please considering answering them for me in the main thread :blushfrog:

I missed having a night thread to talk in so it's been fun guys, even if I've largely been talking to myself!

Verelios

Were-elios
I know you're asking Loki, but I probably feel best about Ambulance, Nat, Random, Thorny, and probably Blarg right now? Hedin, Vere, and Zbeat would probably be the tier under that. That's mostly just gut reads, because there's nothing but vibes at the moment
I can get with most of that list. I'm more unsure about Zbeat after he pre-empted the base exploding as a possible town WC from the sample PM. It's a logical conclusion from that I guess, but still an odd thing to throw out. I want to see how he reacts tomorrow.
What I mean by can't fully explain it is that I'm very confused because all the people have metas for are largely fitting their meta I have for them and that was what I was trying to say.

As for people I don't have meta for that'd be Anex and Mazre, but I guess I can toss Rando and Neki in there to.

While I've seen both Neki and Rando play, i think a lot of my odd feelings is based on still working my reads for them.

So...

@Verelios What do you think of Neki? Additionally, you were interacting a lot with Kyan in thread so what is your current read on him? Between Neki and Kyan, which if your former buddies do you trust more :daishouri:
Probably too early to be talking about trust but they both appear good to me. I think Neki is doing fine and I'd place them in the null to town pile for now. Not setting the thread on fire, but Neki is very much a slow burn kind of player that ramps up as the days go by and nothing pops out to me ass off. Kyan is another story. I can't simply trust Kyan because I know he likes to change around his early gamestyle, but he was comparitively active as anyone could be today, had his own opinions and didn't slink into the shadows when pinged. He's someone I would keep around. His thoughts on why he didn't self-vote before it was pointed out is a bit concerning though. Something that I would keep in mind for the future.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
Verelios several others (I think Hedin?) and my self support the plan of just focusing on testing the most suspicious players which again makes the most logical sense to me LOL. It's a mafia game even with the weird mechanics going on so we should naturally focus on suspicious people first and worry about confirming our town reads when we've hit a dead in especially if it's a temporary bandage.

As Chuggs said in thread we shouldn't probably treat it as a cop check.

:poisonsip:

I didn't say that aloud but that's how I am going to treat it. It's The Thing Mafia and not The Thing The Game Adaption so I'm approaching it from the Mafia angle, anyone who is suspicious to me is getting voted for and then we'll see where the chips land. Even if we get a cop or doc claim it doesn't make sense to me to send them for testing as while they are safe they can't use their ability. And please for the love of Pete don't go wildly claiming to avoid being tested, in Fate town gave way too much info to scum with all of their panic claims.

My occam's razor thought on anyone who self voted is that they are knowledgeable about the movie, know what happens to the people who stayed, and decided they wanted to nope out of it.

I do wonder if we're going to get a NK tonight. It was a short D1 with no one voted out (and even if we missed scum, which we probably would, we would still have real vote data to start using), feels like it would give a scum team too much of an advantage if they get a free kill tonight.

anexanhume

My logic is based on the famous “goat problem”
I didn't say that aloud but that's how I am going to treat it. It's The Thing Mafia and not The Thing The Game Adaption so I'm approaching it from the Mafia angle, anyone who is suspicious to me is getting voted for and then we'll see where the chips land. Even if we get a cop or doc claim it doesn't make sense to me to send them for testing as while they are safe they can't use their ability. And please for the love of Pete don't go wildly claiming to avoid being tested, in Fate town gave way too much info to scum with all of their panic claims.

My occam's razor thought on anyone who self voted is that they are knowledgeable about the movie, know what happens to the people who stayed, and decided they wanted to nope out of it.

I do wonder if we're going to get a NK tonight. It was a short D1 with no one voted out (and even if we missed scum, which we probably would, we would still have real vote data to start using), feels like it would give a scum team too much of an advantage if they get a free kill tonight.
My problem is that games with infection/recruit mechanics ultimately make pattern forming in scrutiny a greatly more complicated endeavor. I would hope we get a little more info from the narrative, but I’m not holding my breath.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
And for your morning listening pleasure, Ebony and Ivory were the top song of the week when the original movie was release and now listen to this banger which topped at #2 on the chart only on WMFA.

@Randomless :p Why did you say that hedin post was a good one? I made a joke about it being a pocket attempt because i wanted to come in game with a joke but I'm actually curious.
I actually did explain this in the thread here in case you missed it. But basically, I wanted to ask EC that myself and I forgot to do so, so I was happy that Hedin remembered.

This is a potentially good catch. Is Ambu known to crumb his roles? I will say about Ambu (unrelated to this) he's been the most confident I've ever seen him in this game so far, which I think is a good thing? Maybe that scum flawless victory gave him a shot of self-confidence, and/or maybe he's just comfortably town.

really the player I feel the most off about is Rando. lol Your posts asking questions and putting out your extremely early reads on people seemed pretty performative to me but you were also scum read in mafioso so maybe it's just your style of play rubbing off on people

:musashishock: Basically i'm watching you buddy but even then I'm unsure. :pikathink:
I can't really do anything if it felt performative to you, but it was genuine from me. In my first game I took a super passive approach Day 1 and it was a disaster. In my second game I tried to have a more balanced Day 1 and I was helped by Terra pulling my teeth out. Here I didn't have any crutches, but I saw that nobody gets eliminated Day 1 anyway, so I went all out. You can ask my mentor after the game is over, I even asked them if you can play "too hard" Day 1 and they told me no. Well it seems that it turns out that is not true.

Yeah I am fully on board with treating it as The Thing Mafia and not The Thing The Game Adaption. I don't want to test power roles. We should test scummy people, and we should treat testing as being voted off until we know better. If it's a permanent RB that's really terrible for any PRs on our side.

I am curious about your point about Fate Mafioso, though. I felt townies went about claiming in the entirely wrong way in that game. When they should've claimed, they did not, and when they shouldn't have claimed, they did. In this game, if a PR is up on the block for a test, I think they should claim. This is of course including the fact that we don't know the full extent of the effects of testing. Like I said in the thread, if we find out that being tested leads to a 1-night RB, then it might be worth it for PRs to not claim, take their lumps, and then still have the ability in secret after the 1-night RB is up. Ideally we would get to try this on someone who is not a strong PR first so we can learn what happens, but until then let's just vote for suspicious folks.

I've been thinking about the possibility of a NK myself. Based on the flavour it is very likely we have at least one vig around. They have so many guns on an arctic base :tamaworry:

The Thing usually kills things to assimilate with them but it's possible they have some extra kill on the side.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
I can get with most of that list. I'm more unsure about Zbeat after he pre-empted the base exploding as a possible town WC from the sample PM. It's a logical conclusion from that I guess, but still an odd thing to throw out. I want to see how he reacts tomorrow.

Zbeat is less strong, but he’s very much playing his usual “Say sketchy shit and focus way too much on flavor” game that I’m used to from him.

Zbeat is less strong, but he’s very much playing his usual “Say sketchy shit and focus way too much on flavor” game that I’m used to from him.
Yeah in Mafioso Z-Beat straight up wasn't reading the thread and was still making (incorrect) conclusions which lead me to scumreading him and pushing for him. I don't really want to make that mistake again so I'm going to look elsewhere for now. If he keeps it up I am willing to go back there later for a second look. I agree with Vere that I want to see how he reacts tomorrow, however.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about HP yet. His posting has been a little all over the place. He didn't immediately comment how town is doomed, but he did say he would stop doing that. He seems more active than Mafioso where he was scum but that could just be a coincidence. Once again I am wishing I read through Mystery Mafia to get another angle on scum HP. In all likelihood he's not scum, just based off numbers, but he is someone who stuck out to me on Day 1. I will keep an eye on him.

I think I feel good about Blarg? He actually answered my questions and he seems way more engaged early than I've seen him before.

I have trouble reading Hawthorn. I always think she's scummy in games I have read, so I have to step back and examine her posts from outside myself. If I had an investigative power I would use it on her, probably. And no, I don't want to test her. I don't feel strongly in that specific way, it's more of a null. I don't think we should vote to test nulls.

lokiduck

Basically we should focus on testing scummy pics.

and I def agree with town not claiming this game for the most part. That may change if the isolation is permanent, but if it isn’t then most powers shouldn’t be scared of being RB’d for one night.

also I feel silly but for some reason I totes forgot about the possibility of there being a night kill lol I saw that testing was happening instead of voting peeps out (if uninfected) and assumed it wouldn’t be the case :Musashishock:

I feel silly now.

Basically what I said earlier lol.

z-beat is very on brand for how he plays and while it’s always suspicious as fuck, I’m not falling into that tunnel unless I have a really good reason to do so.

lokiduck

Also guys if you do have a power, please for the love of Bob do not claim in your night chats even if you feel good about everyone in the room. I have done that and I got betrayed lol, plus Vere can attest how much smarter it is to not do that even if you are being chummy with your chat partner, since he was the only one who didn’t in greed island.

The only reason you should claim at all is if you got results and you are majorly worried you won’t make it to day (since silly me forgot there might be a nk), but again you should only do so if you are positive scum can’t interrupt your plans (you won’t know that), and you massively trust 2+ people in the room. The reason for two plus is in theory they can only kill and infect one person a night (maybe we are wrong but game balance wise one a night makes the most sense from a game reviewer standpoint) so if there is two plus there’s a chance someone will be alive and uninfected to reveal your info if you can’t.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
I am curious about your point about Fate Mafioso, though. I felt townies went about claiming in the entirely wrong way in that game. When they should've claimed, they did not, and when they shouldn't have claimed, they did. In this game, if a PR is up on the block for a test, I think they should claim. This is of course including the fact that we don't know the full extent of the effects of testing. Like I said in the thread, if we find out that being tested leads to a 1-night RB, then it might be worth it for PRs to not claim, take their lumps, and then still have the ability in secret after the 1-night RB is up. Ideally we would get to try this on someone who is not a strong PR first so we can learn what happens, but until then let's just vote for suspicious folks.

In Fate town was just vomiting info to scum, they couldn't help themselves. And if some unnamed mean person who may be reading this didn't use two night kills on me it would have been easy with to achieve my potential win con. Also what your role is makes a big deal. If you're a cop or doc and actually on the block at the end of the day (so not just getting some pressure) sure claim, if you are a random role with limited utility then I think it's best just to stay quiet.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
I will leave you all with the top song of the Billboard Top 100 for 1982 (even though the song was actually released in 1981). Enjoy!

I will leave you all with the top song of the Billboard Top 100 for 1982 (even though the song was actually released in 1981). Enjoy!

Did you know that the 1982 billboard year started in November of 1981?, so 9 of its 14 weeks at #1 were in 1981. I didn't until I looked up the next song, 1982's #2 top hit of the year.

A little inspirational music,

lokiduck

Lol I was trying to think of if there was anything else we wanted to discuss before our chat closes, but I think I have exhausted all of my thoughts and comments on the game.

I guess one thing I keep thinking about is Neki on accident posting his comment thinking no one is infected day 1. That’s a valid theory to have but it was just the fact he had it in a post and then said it wasn’t supposed to be there so it got left in by mistake feels weird to me lol.

not even really sure why but I guess I’ll just keep it in my notes.

anyways I had a good time talking to all of you while you weren’t around because we were all like ships passing in the night lol!

this was fun and I hope we all got something out of it, especially something we can use going forward in our scum hunting o/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom