Spectator Thread Cluedo Spectator thread

Bummer.

Mr green, in the hall with the revolver!

Is this a board game cosplay or a movie cosplay? Because I can quote that movie all day.

Faddy

of, having, or involving transitory whims
Bummer.

Mr green, in the hall with the revolver!

Is this a board game cosplay or a movie cosplay? Because I can quote that movie all day.

Yeah damn Ouro and his stupid invitational. If I had been available for this game I would be in FLAVOUR country.

Natiko

Town's Friendly Neighborhood Serial Killer
Every time I see town hooker referenced I gag a little bit.

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
I really thought Deva's claim was going to be a stunt like the one Terra pulled at the beginning of Berserk, but no, despite the many people saying, "that claim seems incredibly unlikely," he just keeps doubling down.

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
I'm starting to believe that Sophia embeds hypnotic subliminal animated GIFs into her role PMs to drive her players into a insane frenzy and make them lose all logical thinking skills at game start.

It's the only reasonable explanation for the way Day 1 has gone.

It also explains PPM.

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
"But anyways Terraforce you're probably right and it's probably not fair of me to expect the same level of play here that we are used to, considering we basically come from a community that has produced multiple world champions and even more top 3 finishes."

If this community ever puts high level play and prestige above having a good time, I will no longer be any part of it. We do this for fun, not to prove we're the best.

(Also, LP is correct. Deva needs to admit that no one fell for his gambit and move on. That was too wild a move to try in a brand new meta.)

Roytheone

Basically a violent balloon covered in feathers
I wonder if Deva's fancy professional mafia community has as many owl gifs as we do.

0c6597996280dbb2568ad9954091a968

I

ktso1.gif

THINK

owl-gifs.gif

NOT!!!

ynnny

SPIDER
"But anyways Terraforce you're probably right and it's probably not fair of me to expect the same level of play here that we are used to, considering we basically come from a community that has produced multiple world champions and even more top 3 finishes."

If this community ever puts high level play and prestige above having a good time, I will no longer be any part of it. We do this for fun, not to prove we're the best.

(Also, LP is correct. Deva needs to admit that no one fell for his gambit and move on. That was too wild a move to try in a brand new meta.)

Nothing wrong with high level play. It's not one or the other. For many, high level play IS fun.

I'm getting the sense that some are offended by that statement, but personally speaking, I think our community's mafia level does leave a lot to be desired.

I think "fun" is subjective and playing to win can be funner than playing for "fun". On this topic, I've had a few feedback from a few players that may need to come up into the open at some stage. But I do think criticism is an element we need to digest if we want to get better at things. However, if we DO NOT want to get better at things, then that's different entirely.

I don't think I will be a part of this community if it underappreciates the game-play skills and mechanics in favour of having a grand-old-lolz-good-time. I think it is known that I am more of a serious spoder since forever, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

cabot

Why.
This is why there's a place for an invitational every once in a while, that should be used to gather up the the players that want a bit more of a game that isnt about the lol craziness but about solving.

Roytheone

I personally prefer fun over winning. Good example is NX where we ended up winning but I didn't had that much fun, so in the end I kinda regret not dropping out. However, preferring fun over winning obviously isn't the same as not trying to win, you should always at the very least try your best to win.

Natiko

I’m just not sure how exactly one would go about making our community better at mafia. It doesn’t really seem like something you can force.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
I'm getting the sense that some are offended by that statement, but personally speaking, I think our community's mafia level does leave a lot to be desired.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think part of the offense comes from the fact that they insulted us while simultaneously doing something that near everyone regarded as a poor gameplay choice at best. It ended up sounding very hypocritical.

ynnny

SPIDER
I’m just not sure how exactly one would go about making our community better at mafia. It doesn’t really seem like something you can force.

I think that's up to each community member, as I've said. If they want to improve and if they don't want to and just play for funsies, ............but the two styles clash, obviously. I think there's some forms of self-selection of not wanting to play with certain other members that we've seen in the community. We've even seen it in Cluedo (even if it was in jest) and Franco would rather not play with nin. This is no disparage to nin. They are just players of different styles.

For one, I'm not about to 'force' anyone to get better at mafia. Everyone makes their own choice and the community rolls ahead with whatever cards dealt by each of our decisions.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think part of the offense comes from the fact that they insulted us while simultaneously doing something that near everyone regarded as a poor gameplay choice at best. It ended up sounding very hypocritical.

He didn't come across his best in the game. Yeah.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
He didn't come across his best in the game. Yeah.

That's putting it mildly, and I think framing a "having fun vs high level play" discussion around it is disingenuous on all sides. That's also not accounting for the fact the two things aren't mutually exclusive anyhow. :P

ynnny

SPIDER
That's putting it mildly, and I think framing a "having fun vs high level play" discussion around it is disingenuous on all sides. That's also not accounting for the fact the two things aren't mutually exclusive anyhow. :p
to be fair, he didn't place that dichotomy. he simply said that our community's standard is not high enough for his tastes. (a statement that i dont particularly find insulting,........ personally)

what you are calling disingenuous is what retro brought into the discussion, with this statement, as above: "If this community ever puts high level play and prestige above having a good time, I will no longer be any part of it. We do this for fun, not to prove we're the best."

:3

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
I apologize. I perhaps read something into the statement that was not there. Blame added stress from school.

The message read to me as "You scrubs won't understand what I'm saying, because I'm from an award-winning community." Which is understandably upsetting. I'm sure he meant well, it simply came across poorly.

My personal feeling is that as long as people are making friends and having a good time, while playing the games, that's what matters more than anything. I do agree our game could stand to be raised, and that can be done without destroying the first goal. I did kind of make it a one or the other, for which I apologize. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Roytheone

to be fair, he didn't place that dichotomy. he simply said that our community's standard is not high enough for his tastes. (a statement that i dont particularly find insulting,........ personally)

what you are calling disingenuous is what retro brought into the discussion, with this statement, as above: "If this community ever puts high level play and prestige above having a good time, I will no longer be any part of it. We do this for fun, not to prove we're the best."

Did he even said that? It came over to me more like our quality of play is lower than he is used to, not that he really minds that. He said it in a way that made it sound way worse than it probably was meant to sound though.

Faddy

Did he even said that? It came over to me more like our quality of play is lower than he is used to, not that he really minds that. He said it in a way that made it sound way worse than it probably was meant to sound though.

He is coming off an ass. Probably intended, from complaining about having to write full names to vote, dragging the community, doing the most ridiculous gambit. It will probably end up with him getting town read and surviving a while if he doesn't push it too far. Unless he gets shot night 1 by a vig...

Faddy

Is this going to be anime mafia (?) all over again where Deva claims a check then they flip rats and he is ordinary?

Or is Deva telling the truth? I can believe a 1-shot town vig in this game would kill Deva on night 1 because of his play.

I can catch no breaks, huh? It's uncanny how lucky the mafia teams have been with targeting me at the most opportune times.

Also sorry and I hope you excuse Deva for that bit on the "championship" thing. I don't know why he mentioned it. Felt very out of character for him, and was kinda rude imo considering how unnecessary it was. I hope you all don't take it to heart much since these games are supposed to be fun and engaging and not just some serious competition fest. And I hope he didn't seriously mean any offensive by that comment at all. He's generally pretty laid back so I don't think it meant much aside from surface level passive aggression.

Natiko

The worst thing about the Deva vs. Rats stuff is it’s sucking all the air out of any other topic. I wish there was a day vig who could just put one of them down.

Faddy

And Deva now claims it is all a sham.

I don't know how his play actually helps. Sure there are some reactions but they are all reactions to him which won't matter when he gets lynched which means he has wasted the whole day phase. It will be very difficult to make sense of how players reacted because there are easy and understandable options.

Deva was a scummy liar and we should lynch all liars.
Deva was so over the top that he was clearly town, let's not lynch him.

Ultimately he will be lynched because he has admitted he has nothing on Rats so there is no clear alternative so people will take the safe option and get rid of him. I don't see how a town player can make a solid argument against another player without drawing suspicion that they are protecting Deva.

Roytheone

And Deva now claims it is all a sham.

I don't know how his play actually helps. Sure there are some reactions but they are all reactions to him which won't matter when he gets lynched which means he has wasted the whole day phase. It will be very difficult to make sense of how players reacted because there are easy and understandable options.

Deva was a scummy liar and we should lynch all liars.
Deva was so over the top that he was clearly town, let's not lynch him.

Ultimately he will be lynched because he has admitted he has nothing on Rats so there is no clear alternative so people will take the safe option and get rid of him. I don't see how a town player can make a solid argument against another player without drawing suspicion that they are protecting Deva.

Deva's gambit has been horrible for town, basically forcing them to lynch him and wasting a day not scum hunting. He has been a great asset.... for scum.

Natiko

Got used to the day/night structure of the other recent games. Expected to see a lynch when I caught up lol

I can understand the idea of trying to bait out scum pushing lynches on PRs. Scum have been caught out on that before. I also understand why he would go with such outlandish claims (though he maybe took it a step too far) in order to avoid being counter claimed. What throws me off is his doubling down on Rats. Trying to use lies as justification to get someone lynched just makes him look so disingenuous.

Faddy

Yeah I didn't realise how much time was left in the day phase. They might get something worthwhile out of this day even if it is still Deva getting lynched

Faddy

Surprised Monkey has subbed in after the stress felt during the invitational. No way I would be up for it.

The game has kind of stalled out. Although the cheek of Deva to complain when he was the person who derailed the game is something. Maybe town come up with an inactive policy lynch or something and get lucky. Is there an easy way to see post counts on resetera?

Still haven't caught up since my death, but if it's true that Deva's gambit was a hoax it sounds like he pulled a really dumb move and I don't see why. I wish the living players would go back to my post on Deva explaining how he generally plays. They did so a few times, but it's especially pertinent here. Deva did something exactly like this as town when he fakeclaimed a cop scan on two people and they both turned out to be scum, then he revealed the truth after they had been lynched (a game I linked to in that thread). Really saved town the game that time so I guess he tried to replicate it here?

I'm not sure why he'd do it like this and tunnel Rats who didn't even come across as town. In the game I linked to his actions felt more calculated, while here targeting Rats was very reactionary, which is a poor play.

But I was mixed on him day one as is, so he could be scum idk

Natiko

Following this game next to the others reminds me just how much I preferred shorter day phases. They’re just circling the drain.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
I gotta give Deva credit. Despite the silliness of his earlier gambits, he did not go down without a fight and it was glorious.

Natiko

Was really hoping they would lynch Sawneeks, I could at least see her being scum. My top picks for scum though are Monkey and then Fran. That’s never how this works though so it’s probably people that have barely posted and couldn’t even name if my life depended on it.

I only play for fun, and as I mentioned in game; that was not in anyway meant to be a slight on this community.

Honestly I think its just something that happens naturally. The people I played with had been playing mafia together for close to 15 years. Thats a lot of time to play mafia.

Is this about me?

I apologize. I perhaps read something into the statement that was not there. Blame added stress from school.

The message read to me as "You scrubs won't understand what I'm saying, because I'm from an award-winning community." Which is understandably upsetting. I'm sure he meant well, it simply came across poorly.

My personal feeling is that as long as people are making friends and having a good time, while playing the games, that's what matters more than anything. I do agree our game could stand to be raised, and that can be done without destroying the first goal. I did kind of make it a one or the other, for which I apologize. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Just to reiterate it was not meant as a slight on the community. Terra mentioned how the meta surrounding my gambit would probably not be favourable for me and it just kind of made a light go off in my head about how I am used to playing with players that can more easily decern between a players actions(?) And their actual play. I know this is probably going to be taken wrong, but I'll use an example from game to try and help my point.

I made that claim and put a huge target on my back. In all seriousness no half competent scum would do that. You could see that the majority of players believed that but they had a hard time being objective towards my play based almost soley on the claim day 1. That is what I meant by play the player not their claim.

This is correct. I'll continue reiterating that it was not meant to bash the community, hell half of that game was fairly inactive. It's hard to get a read on a level of play when not many people are playing.

He is coming off an ass. Probably intended, from complaining about having to write full names to vote, dragging the community, doing the most ridiculous gambit. It will probably end up with him getting town read and surviving a while if he doesn't push it too far. Unless he gets shot night 1 by a vig...
I never complained about having to write full names, it just wasn't something I was used to. I never bashed the community I only praised the one I am from. Pulling a gambit is hardly intentionally being an ass.

Natiko

The real question is how many of those voting for you truly believed you were scum (as opposed to being scum themselves or voting you to avoid ties).

And just to throw something out there, Terra said that he believes me to be a good player. I personally do not believe myself to be a good player. I am below average at best. The majority of the time I play with my heart instead of my head. That leads me to having terrible reads and getting into It over insignificnat things in the grand scheme of things.

The real question is how many of those voting for you truly believed you were scum (as opposed to being scum themselves or voting you to avoid ties).
I personally believe that the scum team was more on me than not. I provided them a free mislynch and if players actually go back and reread my interactions with people, and are objective about it, there will be plenty of things to look for.

And for anyone that wants an explaination on my gambit. I find it very helpful to me to put a target on my back and basically force people to interact with me. It doesn't matter who is interacting with who as long as people are interacting there will be things to look back on.

Hey Mr.Scary Clown~

Sort of about you? I was saying you didn't ever say anything about high level play can't equal fun.

Hope you had a bit of fun playing with our community :>
Oh yea, that's true. I don't believe that high level of play and fun are mutually exclusive, nor do I think they should be.

cabot

Why.
some vague spoilers

I won't lie, i feel scum could be evaporated in this game, they're coasting. Town infighting is happening today, I feel when more evidence (aka flips) happen, they can start taking out the scum.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
some vague spoilers

I won't lie, i feel scum could be evaporated in this game, they're coasting. Town infighting is happening today, I feel when more evidence (aka flips) happen, they can start taking out the scum.

Well, Day 4 is mylo/lylo depending on who gets lynched and what weapon is used. Doctor getting hit really sped up this game. So scum better hope that Day 4 is town still fighting each other.

Roytheone

This day was a good example why gambits where the goal is to point town to certain directions are almost never a good idea. Town rarily actually goes into those directions the next day.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
So yeah, that was really nerve-wracking to decide to count that or not. Especially because I wasn't certain if I had accidentally counted previous votes that may have not been red due to my colorblindness.

Mod chat basically said that whatever I did, I should be consistent. So I went back through the whole thread and checked what I had set previously on it, and noticed the post I had made about both bold and red. I decided that, because the post was neither bold nor red, I wasn't going to count it. Due to the fact that I made said post so close to day end, I was willing to count it if it was red, but it was neither so...

At any rate, we really need Royal's vote tool back online, ideally with the highlight tag. The whole having to hit bold + color is annoying, especially because you can't easily type out the color part.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
I didn't even know they had to be bold >.<

It wasn't specified, originally. But I asked near day end to please have them in bold so I could identify them easier. I was missing them due to manual counts. But because I said it so close to day end, I counted all the votes in red regardless, so if his post had been red I would have counted it. >_<

Back when we were at GAF, we had a much easier [ highlight][ /highlight] tag for this, which effectively made the votes both bold and red automatically.

Nasty situation, regardless. I should have clarified earlier.

Faddy

I think you made the correct decision not to count that vote from Fran. It was neither bold or red. Voting in plaintext is not valid.

Does this no lynch work for town? It will be 6-3 tomorrow instead of 5-3 which would have been MYLO. They have more info to work with and a slightly smaller pool of players

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
I think you made the correct decision not to count that vote from Fran. It was neither bold or red. Voting in plaintext is not valid.

Does this no lynch work for town? It will be 6-3 tomorrow instead of 5-3 which would have been MYLO. They have more info to work with and a slightly smaller pool of players

There's a couple factors in play that could make this endgame rather interesting.... it could go either way still.

Natiko

Finally caught up - Blarg is a posting force to be reckoned with at times. Rough end there, but I think you made the right call not counting the vote. Had it been red but not bold I think it would’ve been a bit dicier. Hopefully by the time GOT mafia runs in 2024 the vote counting tool is up again and the highlight tag is back.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
lol thanks. Hopefully next game will go better :P

Sophia, since I'm dead can I reveal my action?

Yup, feel free.

Finally caught up - Blarg is a posting force to be reckoned with at times. Rough end there, but I think you made the right call not counting the vote. Had it been red but not bold I think it would’ve been a bit dicier. Hopefully by the time GOT mafia runs in 2024 the vote counting tool is up again and the highlight tag is back.

If it had been red but not bolded, I probably would have counted it on the basis that my request to do both red and bold could have been missed. But yeah... x.x

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
Been worried about this for awhile, but I feel like town investigative roles are too weak compared to Mafia. I went back and forth between them being too powerful, and not powerful enough, and seeing the Doctor get hit so early makes me think they're way too weak. They should have had double the shots, at least. : \

Natiko

Well that’s an interesting day start. Not feeling great about town’s chances though.

Been worried about this for awhile, but I feel like town investigative roles are too weak compared to Mafia. I went back and forth between them being too powerful, and not powerful enough, and seeing the Doctor get hit so early makes me think they're way too weak. They should have had double the shots, at least. : \
I don't know if Fran is telling the truth with that claim, and I don't know anything about game balance, but it seems harsh that it was a one-shot investigative power and it couldn't even confirm Sawneeks as town :( hahaha

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
I don't know if Fran is telling the truth with that claim, and I don't know anything about game balance, but it seems harsh that it was a one-shot investigative power and it couldn't even confirm Sawneeks as town :( hahaha

Yeah, the other investigative power was also similarity limited, and likewise ended up in a similar fate. I guess I got too cautious about investigative powers after a cop claim nearly swung TPIR back in Town's favor so easily. I'm regretting not making town more powerful tho to counter the Rope which was just used. The only saving grace is that it at least missed all of the reviewers too, so there's that. I still feel bad tho.

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
"It does come across as a pathetically weak role, given the caveat."

brb, beating myself up inside in a comical fashion.

Natiko

Don’t worry Sophia, Town are ace detectives and they’ll solve this game the old fashioned way!

lol

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
Don’t worry Sophia, Town are ace detectives and they’ll solve this game the old fashioned way!

lol

Yeah, it doesn't help town that the scum team in question is super good.

I think players will be surprised when they realize that this game is largely vanilla on both sides, with only a few power roles.

Natiko

Just based on what all you’ve said I feel like if I were in this game I’d be chasing all the wrong leads.

Faddy

Wrong already....lol.

Girl of Gotham has all the hallmarks of scum. IDK because she is new but she has made some very good contributions and was pretty quiet to begin with.

Sawneeks is kind of nowhere in this game. Comfortable voting for LP on day 3 but not day 4. It is certainly strange behaviour. Maybe not scummy but not doing a good job as town either.

I just wanted Rats to be scum for Deva....

----

I guess Blarg's claim looks sort of shaky. He claimed he checked Fran after Fran claimed he was 1 shot. IDK that is very convenient. And I think the focus on Fran in his kabuki theatre rather than Sawneeks might be telling. He is now also the spare vote on Fran on Day 3. The role duplication with Fran's seems kind of suspect as well

The benefit of knowing Fran is telling the truth from spoiler comments

Android Sophia

Miss Congeniality
If you're curious as to how Rats died, he was the target of Scum's rope weapon on Night 3, which was a delayed kill for Mafia to use to get around the doctor. As the doctor is dead, the scum team had an "evil idea" to use it to cause more confusion. >_>;

Top Bottom