Spectator Thread Pass the Meat, Enjoy the Show!

He is.

Maybe I’m wrong and Launch is town. But I’m finding him suddenly awakening to try to use my strat now a little sus. May just be bitch eating crackers syndrome at this point tho.
I guess I should explain that because if Launch is scum, I don't want scum hijacking towncore strats to become a thing, and if he's town, we can use this post as a rubric for future moments and things to think about. I make a good example when I'm wrong. :x

Launch has not put in any effort to solve the game so far. He's busy, yes. That's separate. All his posts so far are reactive, not proactive, until he lifted my strategy - that's proactive. And he gave his reads. But the very literal interpretation of on my first posts about the role creation + his announcement that he's making a spreadsheet? At this time, that screams "scum trying to be in the towncore." It's helpful. It's also a good way to insinuate yourself without solving.

This will work especially well if he's scum and if someone else pretty townread is scum - it will mean they can control it. But I'll wait to see the list before going that far.

Here's what to watch for:
-will Launch actually contribute to solving or will he just be the record-keeper?
-How will he handle his restriction alongside pushing for people to talk about the roles?

Also my idea was people breadcrumbing and finding their counterpart, but not obviously. Like... if Stan's role creator hinted and he picked up on it, Stan would know to townread that person, probably. It shows up in the reads, not the really obvious talk.

sus.

That would actually be a pretty good scum strategy...

And it would also somewhat explain why they wanted you dead so soon.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
When is the next regular game that isn’t madness or bastard?
When we have a mini, I expect, because most of what people are designing are madness games. I would love a mini soon. We'd have done one this season but there were some unusual scheduling obstacles.

Nor have I looked, lol.
But everyone is waiting for stan to shoot instead of new scum hunting options.

To be fair you aren't playing :p

I would be encouraging stan to shoot tbh, I like excitement, I was really disappointed when jman pretended like he was a vig. I was hoping he'd actually gun down zeke right there!

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
When we have a mini, I expect, because most of what people are designing are madness games. I would love a mini soon. We'd have done one this season but there were some unusual scheduling obstacles.
So the days of the regular big games are gone

:pikathink:

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
OMG FAKE NEWS

I did not want everyone to share their roles. I did not want a mass claim. I wanted people to try to find each other.

I left breadcrumbs that would be obvious to people who had what Salva sent me to verify. That was what I was suggesting - find your counterpart and try to read them as a first step in reading the game. augh

SalvaPot

YEAH
OMG FAKE NEWS

I did not want everyone to share their roles. I did not want a mass claim. I wanted people to try to find each other.

I left breadcrumbs that would be obvious to people who had what Salva sent me to verify. That was what I was suggesting - find your counterpart and try to read them as a first step in reading the game. augh
It's funny because it did read to me as you were trying to start a mass claim.

Caught up with the game on my lunch break today, and after exactly one read, I'd kill Launchpad today if I'm town.

I'm surprised how many players are ignoring the B plots happening in this game. Usually town loves going down those alleys.

SalvaPot

YEAH
Caught up with the game on my lunch break today, and after exactly one read, I'd kill Launchpad today if I'm town.

I'm surprised how many players are ignoring the B plots happening in this game. Usually town loves going down those alleys.
The A Plot is too good.

And they are not even aware of the Myth Arc going in on the background.

Turns out this game is the perfect One Piece game.

SalvaPot

YEAH
I'm feeling happy, so everyone here on the spec chat can ask me ONE question about the game and I'll answer it. I'll put it behind spoilers, of course.

It's interesting how Launch was able to shift discussion away from the Stan shot to some nonsense about role restrictions so successfully tho.

Who gives a shit, what does talking about this do to help town kill scum. Why aren't more people concerned with the fact that Stan could kill them. If this goes on much longer, town will lose focus of the A plot.

Imo Stan should've shot by now.
I'm someone who would have just shot someone and claimed it after the fact, but if you're gonna claim a gun, might as well wait for everyone to have a say about it. Stan should be pushing people or claim to be thinking about doing something unreasonable like killing Chuggs.

Letting discussion move away like this is wasting the opportunity to get people to strongly react.

I'm someone who would have just shot someone and claimed it after the fact, but if you're gonna claim a gun, might as well wait for everyone to have a say about it. Stan should be pushing people or claim to be thinking about doing something unreasonable like killing Chuggs.

Letting discussion move away like this is wasting the opportunity to get people to strongly react.
Oh me too, would never claim the gun before shooting especially in a game like this, but I think shooting before 24h pass is the best thing to do.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Stan was probably asleep or busy. We have D&D in a couple of hours and it's like late morning/early afternoon for him at that point.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
It's interesting how Launch was able to shift discussion away from the Stan shot to some nonsense about role restrictions so successfully tho.

Who gives a shit, what does talking about this do to help town kill scum. Why aren't more people concerned with the fact that Stan could kill them. If this goes on much longer, town will lose focus of the A plot.
Everything Launch is doing shrieks scum to me. The collating of roles, the rehashing, the focus on small thing, and NONE of it solves. It's meant to LOOK solvey, but it never goes there.

I wonder what's up with Zipped. He came in with such enthusiasm. I figure he'd tell us if baby had come, but I've seen scumZipped run out of steam so now I'm iffy on him.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
Gonna be honest, they shouldnt really look at anything related to me or the shot.

I was scum and could be lying about anything. Linking anything to me with how things played out(killing monkey 5hrs in the day phase) will just lead to noise/mislynches lol .

:truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle:

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*

Still one of my favorite games of mafia.

Maybe because it was my first scum game.

Maybe because I was literally an unlynchable God. idk.

May reread it.

Looking at the player list only zipped and kyan are the only other active members that played in it.

I think I remember Ynny saying Royal was the main one who did it iirc. Wonder if I can remix it? Exact same setup and everything, with slight twists.

I still love that dictates mechanic.

Last edited:
Fran being scum would make sense to me. I was digging hard on Loki, my death should have thrown some eyes on Loki, at least a cursory glance if town had done any work on looking at who I was scum reading.

Of course if Loki was scum killing me would look suspicious, but if Fran was scum who started the Loki is scum talk, its the perfect crime.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Although I'm not liking nin's reaction to this.. unless they know the red check is a death sentence and nins gone all in for town cred.
nin’s “only I knew” post sticks out like a boil.

Not super hot on Stan for the shot. It makes sense but the way he did it doesn’t sit great. My needle keeps moving on him.

nin’s “only I knew” post sticks out like a boil.

Not super hot on Stan for the shot. It makes sense but the way he did it doesn’t sit great. My needle keeps moving on him.

I do agree a little with Stan though that he gave plenty of notice about the gun and town just didn't seem bothered about talking about who to shoot. Sucks for Terra but town needs to pull its finger out a little.

Alexem

Yeah, I'm town
That was a lot to come back to after a day with no internet connection! Always good to see a red check come together - unless there are shenanigans involved.

(...There aren't shenanigans involved, are there?)

That was a lot to come back to after a day with no internet connection! Always good to see a red check come together - unless there are shenanigans involved.

(...There aren't shenanigans involved, are there?)

The role itself as I made it has no shenanigans unless vere was targeted with a redirect it should be good.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Anyway, Zeke, I think our "extra" stuff is gone. My extra bit was the thing I was really excited about. :( OH WELL, NEXT TIME

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Salva--

the extra powers... did they stay with us, secretly? Would I have been the caroler? Or did it go to nin but disappear when I died?

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Also, Launch:
"At worst, by flipping Fran we'll figure out if there's a third switching ability out there, but it's very unlikely. I think this is just going to be Fran being scum and us lucking into catching a deepwolf."

Fran should not have been a deepwolf. -.- If Fran's not stubbornly tunneling by d3, MURDER HIM*

*Not really (maybe?) but I'm not surprised at all if Fran is scum here. He's been very disconnected and a lot more indecisive than he usually is.

Once again, forever: look who's solving. Not who's posting, not who's collecting info or reacting, but who's actively going in and solving. Fran's not. He tried a push on loki. It was hesitant and he pulled back immediately. When does Fran ever pull back?!

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Oh, they hammered. HI, FRAN, JOIN US IN THE DEATH PARTY

I know I've been trash talking you but I greet you with great love, because you started this trend and even though I was UNCEREMONIOUSLY MURDERED I love these games.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
Anyway, Zeke, I think our "extra" stuff is gone. My extra bit was the thing I was really excited about. :( OH WELL, NEXT TIME
Yea, i guess so.
Lottery Winner - Whoever visits the person with my power at night gets a gun. I know, kinda tame.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Yea, i guess so.
Lottery Winner - Whoever visits the person with my power at night gets a gun. I know, kinda tame.
Not tame! I like it.

Mine was
Captain: Being a captain is hard. You need hobbies to sustain you. Yours is singing! You are a caroler: at night, you will visit a random player and sing them a song using the command YOHOHOHO: Player. The song includes three random player names, but there's a twist: one is mafia. You will not be told who you visited, or what names they were given.

^^^this role is my whole aesthetic and I keep trying to fit it into a game^^^

Not tame! I like it.

Mine was
Captain: Being a captain is hard. You need hobbies to sustain you. Yours is singing! You are a caroler: at night, you will visit a random player and sing them a song using the command YOHOHOHO: Player. The song includes three random player names, but there's a twist: one is mafia. You will not be told who you visited, or what names they were given.

This is brilliant!

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
But Stan got a gun, he could have visited terra
Nah he didnt cuz the command to use it is

The Vig Shot is a Day Command they have to use in the main Game thread: You have shuffled your last truffle: Player.
Salva came up with it lol
:truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle: :truffleshuffle:

Not tame! I like it.

Mine was

Thanks, and yea that's a very cool role.

Franconp

Frank
Hi everyone!

I'm going to be completely honest: I don't think this design works. I love it and everything but it's too broken and scum are totally screwed. Scum basically has no way to counter most of town roles as noone would add modifiers that help scum in their roles.

So, town had 2 really OP watchers but scum don't have a ninja because no townie would add ninja as a modifier.

Town has one or more cops but scum won't have a godfather because noone will add one.

Town will have protective roles but scum don't have strong kills because, again, it's scummy.

So basically town has a lot of shiny toys to play and scum has nothing to counter them. Even Zeke's role, which was a kill so good for scum, had a cop function added to it. Basically he was dead as soon as he used his role (btw, I was completely honest when I said it was a really shitty role. I would have hated receiving a role like that).

"But scum could have created roles that hurt town..." Not really. Town was always going to track the roles to the creators. One of the first things proposed in the game was to do that. Scum can't create a role that hurt town and really get away in the long run. So, scum is also forced to create roles that hurt themselves to not raise red flags in the future.

But it was fun. I had a lot of fun creating my role and I was able to use some ideas that I had for some time that never used (tomorrow modifier will be a lot of fun) but, as Greed Island, this kind of games needs something else so they are at least competitive.

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be completely honest: I don't think this design works. I love it and everything but it's too broken and scum are totally screwed. Scum basically has no way to counter most of town roles as noone would add modifiers that help scum in their roles.

So, town had 2 really OP watchers but scum don't have a ninja because no townie would add ninja as a modifier.

Town has one or more cops but scum won't have a godfather because noone will add one.

Town will have protective roles but scum don't have strong kills because, again, it's scummy.

So basically town has a lot of shiny toys to play and scum has nothing to counter them. Even Zeke's role, which was a kill so good for scum, had a cop function added to it. Basically he was dead as soon as he used his role (btw, I was completely honest when I said it was a really shitty role. I would have hated receiving a role like that).

"But scum could have created roles that hurt town..." Not really. Town was always going to track the roles to the creators. One of the first things proposed in the game was to do that. Scum can't create a role that hurt town and really get away in the long run. So, scum is also forced to create roles that hurt themselves to not raise red flags in the future.

But it was fun. I had a lot of fun creating my role and I was able to use some ideas that I had for some time that never used (tomorrow modifier will be a lot of fun) but, as Greed Island, this kind of games needs something else so they are at least competitive.

I know its a lot of work but maybe everyone has to make a town role and a scum role? Or a single role that has town variation and scum variation? I definitely see your point.

You also had me tunnelling in on loki lol

weemadarthur

Mad as in angry, or mad as in crazy?
I’m confused by your spoiler monkey. If the choice is random, why does it allow A name selection then?

Franconp

Frank
I know its a lot of work but maybe everyone has to make a town role and a scum role? Or a single role that has town variation and scum variation? I definitely see your point.

You also had me tunnelling in on loki lol

I think that not telling the players what aligments they are until after they submited their roles could help. Everyone will be more hesitant to create an OP role when you don't know what aligment you are and if it could backfire.

But that's is just an idea. No clue if that would help or not.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
I’m confused by your spoiler monkey. If the choice is random, why does it allow A name selection then?
Oh, there were corrections after that - we talked about it - but I just pasted the original. Details in spoiler:

Normally the role IS a targeted visit but I wanted to make it random because why not. Would have been fun if scum got results and figured out how to lie and game it.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
I think that not telling the players what aligments they are until after they submited their roles could help. Everyone will be more hesitant to create an OP role when you don't know what aligment you are and if it could backfire.

Yeah, I think a lot of trial and error is involved in testing out this style of game and I volunteer myself as tribute to test all possible variations. This is all the fun of making games without having to remember to end the day lol

Yeah it possibly could, im a new player and honestly the thought of creating a role was quite daunting to me, but definitely once I saw i was town, the thought of making a role that would help scum never even entered my brain.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
Hi everyone!

Yea, with that alignment thing attached, I was gone whenever I used the gun. Even before then when I said it was a scum role cause it said I had to use it on a townie or die, the jig was up.

Even if scum made a ninja/strong role with our secrect second creation we still wouldnt get them.

Creating the roles were fun though. Idk how you would properly balace a create your own role game.
Man if you think the game is unbalanced now wait until Day 3.
Is that good for town or scum :(

SalvaPot

YEAH
Yea, with that alignment thing attached, I was gone whenever I used the gun. Even before then when I said it was a scum role cause it said I had to use it on a townie or die, the jig was up.

Even if scum made a ninja/strong role with our secrect second creation we still wouldnt get them.

Creating the roles were fun though. Idk how you would properly balace a create your own role game.

Is that good for town or scum :(
Hmm, scum is in a tight spot for sure.

Hi everyone!

At first I thought scum had this in the bag no question, you guys had tons of kills, but underestimated the amount of investigation, and there's way more than what you thought.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
At first I thought scum had this in the bag no question, you guys had tons of kills, but underestimated the amount of investigation, and there's way more than what you thought.
What could scum have done about investigations?

SalvaPot

YEAH
That and Zeke could have saved the day-kill for later, or at least justify it like stan did. There is enough leeway on the way I setup the game that you could have gotten away with it, lol.

By the way, one of the roleblocks worked on night 1.

What could scum have done about investigations?
Nothing, I thought you could just brute force your way through with kills, you had an extra kill, the other ability if comboed could be, the bomb, and then the secondaries as well, coupled that with some more extra kills from elsewhere I thought it'd just end before town could do much.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
That and Zeke could have saved the day-kill for later, or at least justify it like stan did. There is enough leeway on the way I setup the game that you could have gotten away with it, lol.

Even if it was the most justified day kill in mafia history, I was dead because there was a cop check with it.

Even If i wanted to kill/buss a teammate, I was dead.

SalvaPot

YEAH
Even if it was the most justified day kill in mafia history, I was dead because there was a cop check with it.

Even If i wanted to kill/buss a teammate, I was dead.
Not to sound like jman, but not acting was also a choice.

I agree it was a hard role to play, but it was also a free kill, two if you could talk them up.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*

Please I just want

to see death by truffle shuffle, just one time do it mal or loki

Last edited:

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Hmm. But part of the balance is town created roles NOT going to town. For example if my role went to scum, it won’t be used, I bet, so that removes utility from the game.

maybe allowing scum to add a modifier or something after the trade could help balance? Each member adds one modifier to what they get.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
Not to sound like jman, but not acting was also a choice.

I agree it was a hard role to play, but it was also a free kill, two if you could talk them up.
Im not complaining about the shot itself and knew I would most likely die since it was monkey who I killed. But there is no counterplay for scum at all with that role.

Even if I didnt act, didnt kill anyone.

Once I said "This thing says I die if I kill scum or a neutral" I was dead because Kyan knew he set that cop check into the gun.

Even if I tried to get town points and let town decided who to kill. I was dead. Either cuz I killed a townie and kyan reveals the cop check OR I kill a scummate and I die with them.

I think I said this in the initial review thread when it was just me and salva but I thought scum having access to their secondary abilities right away was more fair, but maybe it's my 20/20 foresight talking

SalvaPot

YEAH
I think I said this in the initial review thread when it was just me and salva but I thought scum having access to their secondary abilities right away was more fair, but maybe it's my 20/20 foresight talking
You did say that, but I was worried that if they had access to that to start with they just would't use the primary abilites. And not knowing what happened kept them on their toes.

Also I wanted the game to be unsolvable to start with, to avoid players figuring it out early, and to give a big surprise later when a key part of the mystery is revealed.

Franconp

Frank

It's not only investigations. One of the powers that Malus has will give out 3 or 2 BPs. Scum don't have a way to deal with them. So, if those BPs ends in townreaded townies is basically game over.

SalvaPot

YEAH
I don' think I would have done anything differently, probably made it so people don't know their alignment to start with would be better, but then I figured they'll make very tame roles. And I wanted the players to metagame and try to break the rules.

weemadarthur

If players didn’t get sorted until after role creation, and had to create a town role and a scum role....

then fewer of the scum roles would BE in the game, and it would be a source of paranoia When people shared the horrible options they came up with, but which 80% of aren’t in existence.

and the metagaming could be bastardized by the scum roles and town roles being separated for the RNG portion, so that you couldn’t say “my town role is had by X, so my scum role doesn’t exist” as a logical assumption, but not tell the game that.

Yeah, in every CYOR game I've played beforehand, I wasn't aware of the alignment I would get and had to send in town and scum (and neutral in some wild cases) roles.

That being said, they're still a bitch to balance well. It's very easy to go the other way and make scum super powered.

The other option that I've used before is a Pick Your Poison deal where players were given a list of roles/abilities they could have which made balancing a bit more manageable while players were still involved in choosing what they got.

weemadarthur

Is there a king? Zipped was...going on about it. Hmm. If he’s a king by prime then zeke shouldn’t have moved his reticle.

Franconp

Frank
BTW @Franconp , the king bomb was a double trap, if you had tried to king yourself then the real king (Zip) would kill you instead.

Well, we all should be really happy that I didn't used because I would have been really pissed off and I would have debated for a long while that it shouldn't be allowed to happen. That was not in my role and, if the roles were swapped, I should get the full PM, not just some parts.

This was not an action that I received as my role. It was supposed to be the full PM. I think it's not fair that they could have secret clauses that the players don't know. And it's even more unfair that a player that lost the role still can use it.

Top Bottom