Spectator Thread Welcome Scientists!

Ephidel

How do you do, fellow mafia?
They could let the game runners know it doesn't work for them though, which no one did.
The last time I tried to beg mercy on what was for me an unexpected schedule shortening that sucked majorly for me I was told I needed a majority that included the scum team to side with me to grant me an extension so I probably wouldn't have expected anything different and wouldn't even have bothered trying.

Now I know my in game availability sucks compared to other people's, but because of that I'm also painfully aware that if I was working today my standard shift patterns would have wiped out my ability to even know what was going on for most of today, let alone participate or beg for time even if I'd felt inspired enough to do so.

I know for a fact there are other people who are currently unavailable or working for this section. Yes, I'm sure that no matter when this section was scheduled for that would have affected someone.
I get that. There's not an answer.

But I still don't feel like it's fair to respond to someone saying "So we’re again dependent on how many people from each team are present in this timeframe?" with what is in effect 'they were told when it was, it's their own fault for not being here' when people don't necessarily have control over that.

FateShirou

ain't no law when you're drinking the claw
I want to recruit a lawyer who will represent me in my case against zipped and ATP
the lawyer will be paid with
(1) xmas card

kehmw9E.gif

I guess I have no choice... I'M MAKING IT OFF THIS DAMN ICEBERG

Attack:Anexanhume

giphy.gif

The last time I tried to beg mercy on what was for me an unexpected schedule shortening that sucked majorly for me I was told I needed a majority that included the scum team to side with me to grant me an extension so I probably wouldn't have expected anything different and wouldn't even have bothered trying.

Now I know my in game availability sucks compared to other people's, but because of that I'm also painfully aware that if I was working today my standard shift patterns would have wiped out my ability to even know what was going on for most of today, let alone participate or beg for time even if I'd felt inspired enough to do so.

I know for a fact there are other people who are currently unavailable or working for this section. Yes, I'm sure that no matter when this section was scheduled for that would have affected someone.
I get that. There's not an answer.

But I still don't feel like it's fair to respond to someone saying "So we’re again dependent on how many people from each team are present in this timeframe?" with what is in effect 'they were told when it was, it's their own fault for not being here' when people don't necessarily have control over that.

Again I agree to an extent, but the times were posted at day start, all of town posted so presumably checked the day start post and no one at all said I won't be able to make that time. Me and zipped would have tried our best to accommodate.

Maybe it would have been better to make the games individual games and try to specifically schedule a time when a player from each team would be around to participate. But not much we can do about that now, at the time I thought team games would be better to include everyone.

Ephidel

is Anexanhume the only town left lol
scum come on, why u gotta gang up on them like that
No, he's not the only town left.

Anex and Z-Beat are town's champions. Blarg and Vere are the Thing's champions.
Everyone in both factions is allowed to attack the enemy champions or defend their own champions during their attack window. Winners win, losers die and are removed from the game.

After one side has won the surviving champions + the other folks move on to a trivia battle.

Ephidel

Or will they?
*vague shrugging motions*

The day start post says each team must complete four tasks and it continues until one team has completed all the tasks.
Hedin pointed out Task 1 didn't add up and I can assume what happened there, Things took task 2.
This is the third task. Logically they proceed to the fourth after it.

Maybe all the champions make the ultimate sacrifice along the way.

Hawthorn

I'll explain my reasons later
Hard to judge timing for these things, because there's usually no one time when everybody's available, but everyone has time they just cannot be around due to real life stuff. I remember one time when I briefly played mafia way back on the old site, I got turboed when I was literally about to get called into a courtroom.

Looks like town and mafia are about equal in the boss battle, though, based on the hit point updates. I think town can pull this off!!

Blargonaut

SCUM UP!
Now that I'm above it I still can't think of a real way I would've bigbrained out of that multi-test Day; I said in scum chat I was thinking to fake a red-check or have Hedin nuke me himself for Town cred, but it turned out microwaving nin was thankfully just enough and just in time for me to be able to reach the game-stage where it didn't matter anymore... very clutch

FateShirou

ain't no law when you're drinking the claw
Now that I'm above it I still can't think of a real way I would've bigbrained out of that multi-test Day; I said in scum chat I was thinking to fake a red-check or have Hedin nuke me himself for Town cred, but it turned out microwaving nin was thankfully just enough and just in time for me to be able to reach the game-stage where it didn't matter anymore... very clutch
go eat a croissant blarg

Blargonaut

SCUM UP!
Hedin lamenting in cult chat about how thoroughly we defeated Town this Day and feeling bad for them... minigames the anvil upon which friendships are both forged and sundered in mere instants Nintendo knows

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
I said this in the game thread, but here as well, Night chats will open later. There are a million of them and it's dinner time.

EvilChameleon

Are you scum?
I wonder if EC realizes he would be universally hated for outting his team, and potentially could face some sort of punishment if he straight up claimed scum and answered who his teammates were in the game. I’m not actually sure how we would even handle that.
So a couple things, in the interest of honesty, because that's my shtick and that's what I'm all about when playing these games...

1.) I would never openly reveal my scum teammates, especially on day one, just because someone asked.
2.) If I'm scum, and someone asks me I'm scum, I obviously don't have to answer. Especially on day one.
3.) If I'm not scum, and someone asks me I'm scum, I obviously don't have to answer. Especially on day one. I just have been doing so thus far because I haven't rolled scum, and the one time I did, nobody asked.

You'll eventually get the truth from me, but only about me, and only when I deem it prudent.

Hawthorn

So a couple things, in the interest of honesty, because that's my shtick and that's what I'm all about when playing these games...

1.) I would never openly reveal my scum teammates, especially on day one, just because someone asked.
2.) If I'm scum, and someone asks me I'm scum, I obviously don't have to answer. Especially on day one.
3.) If I'm not scum, and someone asks me I'm scum, I obviously don't have to answer. Especially on day one. I just have been doing so thus far because I haven't rolled scum, and the one time I did, nobody asked.

You'll eventually get the truth from me, but only about me, and only when I deem it prudent.

I respect that you're doing a bit, but this play style has the potential of totally ducking your teammates over the next time you roll scum, now that everyone knows to ask you if you're town. If you conspicuously avoid answering the question when you're scum, and only when you're scum, you'll get yourself voted out just because you don't feel like lying. It worked once, and you were very clever about it, but it won't work again.

Also, it feels good to lie! Just some food for thought.

EvilChameleon

Are you scum?
I respect that you're doing a bit, but this play style has the potential of totally ducking your teammates over the next time you roll scum, now that everyone knows to ask you if you're town. If you conspicuously avoid answering the question when you're scum, and only when you're scum, you'll get yourself voted out just because you don't feel like lying. It worked once, and you were very clever about it, but it won't work again.
I literally said that I might stop answering it even when I'm not scum.

Hawthorn

I am curious to know, whenever you get the chance, why did I die? (I know it was Kyan's shot, but not sure how that happened)

Also, what was the deal with the two infections during shelter in place, was it just random? And all the interruptions like the storm and the power outage were just planned in advance? They were very immersive.

I am curious to know, whenever you get the chance, why did I die? (I know it was Kyan's shot, but not sure how that happened)

Also, what was the deal with the two infections during shelter in place, was it just random? And all the interruptions like the storm and the power outage were just planned in advance? They were very immersive.
You were paired with him and ATP and I had decided whoever paired with him was it.

so much of this game was RNG and that really added to the “what is going to happen next”

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
I got recruited last night, thought we were in an alright spot till the four tests thing just destroyed us lol. Would like to have a talk with the townie that just let me get scum read for that stay at home thing for like two days. That was not very chill.

Hi yeah sorry about that (well not really). I thought if contact tracing was real that I could be some sort of quasi doctor since I could pick the chat (no clue if whoever was The Thing could have gotten in my chat as a 3rd person) and realizing that anyone could be infected I decided it was best to stay quiet. I almost told you on N2 but held off because of that. But you should be proud that I picked you two nights in a row!

Yes, Hedin was recruited recently. Town aligned governor became scum aligned governor.

But I do get to use this gif again...

chimney-sweep-mary-poppins.gif

Were Vere and I totally random or what was the mechanic there?

I love Hedin's icon so much.

You were actually the inspiration behind it! Kyan said you were calling Blarg and I Thing 1 and Thing 2 and I suddenly knew what I had to do.

That's a question for zipped my understanding was the clues were not something you can just Google

Got brought up later but I was just speed Googling.

Yes, I did not anticipate that the teams would be so split in timezones. Also Very impressed about some of the google game, but I think some of the quick answers where legit known.

What do we need to do to tighten up 20 Questions? we should figure that out.

The boss battle is fairly straight forward. Town has a chance to take that one.

I only knew the Scott Pilgrim one, the rest I had to look up.

no one on cult's side has noticed their thread's name change...

I feel so sad.

I did notice and meant to say something but was so caught up with everything that it slipped my mind.

Thanks to ATP and Zipped for the wonderful game, those were some highs and lows for me with both factions. And kudos to the OM team for all of the work with the chats.

Kyanrute

kyan-rute
Look at it from cults POV. Like I said in response to loki, ensuring maximum town participation ensures that town wins the minigame. Extensions would not have made it more fair, just look at the results. We had HP on our side and most of the team was in on every phase and we just barely had it. Extensions might also have pushed the minigame into the night, when I and Blarg might not have been available.

Town was given enough.

Ephidel

Look at it from cults POV. Like I said in response to loki, ensuring maximum town participation ensures that town wins the minigame. Extensions would not have made it more fair, just look at the results. We had HP on our side and most of the team was in on every phase and we just barely had it. Extensions might also have pushed the minigame into the night, when I and Blarg might not have been available.

Town was given enough.
I'm not saying the time slots themselves were unfair. I would have disliked them immensely if I were playing, but I did myself say that I know no time would have worked for everyone.

My unfair comment wasn't about the mechanics, it was explictly about your comment on the issue.

Something which, bearing in mind the posts I've now seen in cult chat, I would have expected a bit more understanding on.

Some of you were having issues there too. Some of you made it anyway. Some of you would have had to leave.

Some people don't have the choice.

I thought it was unfair that your comment made it sound like it was their fault.

lokiduck

Awww yiss mothafuckin' breadcrumbs
Loki's not wrong in her reasoning here but this take coming from her is surprising.
Putting together a bunch of night chats and getting 18 players assigned to them takes time. Also the Outer Mafia team is all voluntary and we regularly have to take care of other real life stuff before we can get to Mafia stuff. There are a lot of reasons why chats might be delayed.
(I also thought we got the chats open pretty quickly, all things considered.)
LOL sorry about that. I wasn't being critical or anything as I know for a fact especially after Fate/Mafioso that it can take a long time too get stuff done. I was just really convinced about the infection being chat based (\o/ there) and thought part of the delay was related to that.

Mind you i also thought it took a bit because i was like hyper refreshing the page because that day ended on a day I got to actually be there for.
If it wasn't for the fact that loki already has one of the best tags on OM, I'd nominate this as a new one for her.
Honestly I love both. Maybe we can bribe the Era mods into letting me have (┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻ on era. If not maybe we can squeeze it under my current one.
(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
the calvary is here!!
go neki and loki!!!
defeat blarg!!!!
HA if you thought we'd win you were fucking kidding yourself. Especially since i worked for several more hours after my last post.

lokiduck

Town was given enough.
I wasn't asking for maximum town participation LOL.

Also I 100% get where the cult team was coming from because you guys legit earned that win after all the shit you went through and personally I wish we hadn't had the mini games and the game just ended when you met your wincon like regular mafia. You deserved the win, and the fact there was a chance town could have taken that from you through completely unrelated to mafia mini games was absurd.

But picture this LOL.

You are me coming home from work totally excited to post my reads on Hedin and vote out scum hopefully when you see he has a governor power, is clearly scum, and took 4 testing chances away from town.

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻

It was a great play for you guys and while as a game runner I hate scum governors and feel Hedin should have lost that power, i'm not the game runners so fine. Anyways I spent the night phase angrily fuming in my night chat (┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻

when next day phase I find out we are doing mini games. I'm already demotivated because Hedin used his power, and now I have to play mini games if I want victory. (┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻ And the first game seems fine but it's going so slowly due to time zones i end up going to bed and go to work next day.

THEN while working a 9 hour shift at a job where I can't actually check in on the game because of how my job works, I finally get how the game is going on one of my few breaks I get that day to see that cult is basically stomping on town due to cult being more active. (┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻ So by the time I can help participate it's already a lost cause and I still got like three more hours of work to go before my break ends. So again my motivation as town has gone down further wheeeeeeeennnn i say my comment and you say town has been given enough help which at that point feels like a salt block in a gut wound because from my perspective I was already in a bad spot and it kept getting worser.

Again you guys deserve your win and I'm not mad about that, it's just your comments on top of Hedin's (which he apologized for and I'm grateful) really felt like you guys were kicking town when we down at the time.

Fuck I jokingly asked the game runners if I could replace out when I saw your comments. I just wanted out of the game at that point. This is more of why your comments hurt even if I get why you said what you said.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
I don't super agree about Hedin losing his powers. We're stuck fighting off the contact tracing, and if we recruited someone like Rando who had already claimed on the blind recruiting night, the jig is already up there once you get their powers and we still have to deal with that role being around. That's not to mention we have a chance to run into one of Rando's protects as well as running into Z-Beat who we can't recruit. If we're stuck in RNG mode it makes sense that there's some players that are extreamly useful mixed in with players that can really mess us up.

lokiduck

I don't super agree about Hedin losing his powers. We're stuck fighting off the contact tracing, and if we recruited someone like Rando who had already claimed on the blind recruiting night, the jig is already up there once you get their powers and we still have to deal with that role being around. That's not to mention we have a chance to run into one of Rando's protects as well as running into Z-Beat who we can't recruit. If we're stuck in RNG mode it makes sense that there's some players that are extreamly useful mixed in with players that can really mess us up.
Yeah i get that based on the game state.

I've just always found scum govs way to fucking OP and in this case it really was

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻

Again it's the game runners decision and it's their game, and it makes sense in this case.

And the use of the power was def the best move of the game even if made me (┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻

lokiduck

Honestly if I wasn't so attached to my current tag name I'd 100% change it to (┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻

Kyanrute

kyan-rute
I thought it was unfair that your comment made it sound like it was their fault.
An attendance mechanic required attendance. That's what I end up coming down to. The mechanic itself was unfair to being with and likely should not have been there. But I was not the game runner, I had no power to change it. With the mechanic in place, it falls onto the people to be there. If people can't be there, they should say so and the game runners should accommodate people to the best of their ability without breaking the mechanic further.

Someone was getting screwed in that situation, there was no pleasing everyone. I think further extensions could've made the situation even more lopsided. I was looking ahead, trying to avoid that situation. I aimed my criticism towards the mechanic itself but this misunderstanding is on me, since I quoted anex and did not distinguish between mechanical town the faction and the players that town consisted of.

We made plans for being there and it felt unfair to me that we'd be punished for sticking to what was planned, especially when all we had gained was a fighting chance. As far as I saw it, we had to win that thing to survive. If all of town was there, we would not win. The mechanic itself was against us.

Again you guys deserve your win and I'm not mad about that, it's just your comments on top of Hedin's (which he apologized for and I'm grateful) really felt like you guys were kicking town when we down at the time.

Fuck I jokingly asked the game runners if I could replace out when I saw your comments. I just wanted out of the game at that point. This is more of why your comments hurt even if I get why you said what you said.
I felt the same as you did: the comments about attendance were just kicking cult down needlessly when all we really had at that point was a chance.

I spent the night I got infected writing down tens of posts filled filled with complaints in the cult chat, only to delete every one of them because I am already enough of a toxic bastard. I thought about replacing out too, multiple times. I should have, I bring so little positives to these things when I get like this.

---

Yeah, I let my own displeasure towards the game burst out a bit. You are right about it. Sorry. Could've certainly done it without the snark.

anexanhume

My logic is based on the famous “goat problem”

Town was given enough.
Had there been another night cycle, cult would have had every advantage. There were no town roles that had any ability to affect the outcome at that point.

Verelios

Were-elios
Had there been another night cycle, cult would have had every advantage. There were no town roles that had any ability to affect the outcome at that point.
Without the minigames or Mazre taking Nin and running off, we get an absolute hell string of turbo on turbo on turbo, Hedin-Blarg-Kyan and we can't stop that. There's not much coming back from there once contact tracing takes off.

Neki

Bought a book once
I don't like the idea that one side worked harder than the other. A lot of came down to RNG and in the end that's what realistically won the game for either side. Cult had to deal with contract tracing and random recruitment yes but randomly getting two new infected during the blackout along with Hedin's power basically swung any advantage town had built up in a matter of a night. I personally prefer that player agency comes from the players themselves and not the game design throwing you a bone but I'm not gonna fault anyone for wanting to have some RNG elements in their games.

I'm not a fan of the whole mini-game thing at the end given that I play mafia so I don't need to commit for long periods of time to play it but once again, personal preference and there's nothing wrong with events; they're just not for me.

The game taught me that I don't like cult games though so I'll be sure to avoid any more in the future for my sanity.

anexanhume

Without the minigames or Mazre taking Nin and running off, we get an absolute hell string of turbo on turbo on turbo, Hedin-Blarg-Kyan and we can't stop that. There's not much coming back from there once contact tracing takes off.
You’re talking about a hypothetical in which the mini games don’t exist. That wasn’t my argument.
Another night cycle of what? The normal game?
We’d have gone through the challenges again with both Z-beat and myself dead. Your side would have lost Blarg. If the involvement trends continued, I believe cult would have eventually won.

Kyanrute

kyan-rute
We’d have gone through the challenges again with both Z-beat and myself dead. Your side would have lost Blarg. If the involvement trends continued, I believe cult would have eventually won.
If being the keyword. Could've been that our victory would've been seen as a rallying cry for a final stand and then the numbers are in town's favor again.

anexanhume

If being the keyword. Could've been that our victory would've been seen as a rallying cry for a final stand and then the numbers are in town's favor again.
The gist is that I don’t think anyone was prepared for the granularity and level of attention that the individual games would take. For multiple clues/rounds, I was the only one participating.

Having a victory that is predicated on one team being more active than another is bound to cause frustration when the window to participate is narrow.

Kyanrute

kyan-rute
The gist is that I don’t think anyone was prepared for the granularity and level of attention that the individual games would take. For multiple clues/rounds, I was the only one participating.

Having a victory that is predicated on one team being more active than another is bound to cause frustration when the window to participate is narrow.
I expected something like this, but I don't think my view was the majority view. I think there absolutely needed to be an outside mechanic through which the game would be resolved in order to prevent a D10+ game. Could there have been something else, sure. What though, no idea.

anexanhume

I expected something like this, but I don't think my view was the majority view. I think there absolutely needed to be an outside mechanic through which the game would be resolved in order to prevent a D10+ game. Could there have been something else, sure. What though, no idea.
I think it would have been interesting to do it following a night of guaranteed infection(s) that brings infected to N-1 for majority. Vote the right infected out, town wins. Invite Thing on the helicopter, Cult wins. Make it a majority only vote with a timer so everyone has to agree or they die and Cult wins anyway.

Kyanrute

kyan-rute
^I had an idea like that in my head at some point as well, a final showdown of sorts. Have to get all of them right, miss one and lose the game. Very brutal though.

lokiduck

Also my favorite night chat period was night 1 at home :blobmelt: we were all town and we had a great time plus I worked a lot that night on my reads.

Neki chat was second fave especially in flipping those tables to vent my frustration.

Top Bottom