The Ready Room

Zipped's early reads look pretty good in retrospect. He was on HP, Blarg, jman early and defended Sneeks.

He softed hard that he visited ATP N2 and his role would know if there was a night kill.

That above post I linked seems to be him outright admitting that he will be guarding LP tonight.

He was scanned by Ambu/Vere as stubborn. Makes sense for Tasha.

Zipped definitely believes LP's doctor claim, and his vote on anex seemed like "well I guess we'll do this even if I thought anex looked okay". I'd be surprised if he thinks that much protection could exist in one game, along with malus' BP Vest.

I wish he hadn't made it so obvious that he'll be protecting LP tonight. I feel like scum will kill him now tonight and it won't tell us anything about LP's alignment.

I come away from this re-read convinced that Zipped is town, but I think he's gonna be the night kill today. I think scum have realized that wee has no more shots, and they won't kill LP to keep the charade up, that's if he's not scum himself.

Going back to the anex wagon, I think one of LP, Nat and Vere are scum. However, Vere's role did help "soft confirm" Zipped so if Zipped does end up flipping and his role is exactly as I expect, I think that soft confirms Vere as well. So LP or Nat. It very well could be both of them.

HP, LP and Nat remaining scum team? It's possible.

I want HP just to get the flip over with, but that feels too easy and is probably what scum wants, regardless of his alignment. If he's scum he's definitely in scum chat telling them to bus him if the heat picks up. If he's town then of course scum would happily vote him out instead of one of their own.

What I'd really like to do is have dueling wagons of LP and HP and see how that shakes out. I think that would give us some valuable data and help discern who to go for, and give us more direction for what to do next after that.

I'm going to push LP to full claim tomorrow, that's probably how I'll start the day. If his claim has some kind of conflict with an as of yet unclaimed role that would be excellent, but I'm not expecting things to be that easy. If his claim is reasonable I'd lean to going HP first.

Just been having a quick think about who I think the last 3 scum could be. Currently on 12 people, take out us 3 for now, we're down to 9.

I believe Vere and malus because of their role claims. Down to 7. At that point, you've got about a 50% chance to hit scum. Then it gets a bit trickier. We'll believe Zipped is the bodyguard, and I personally believe Nat's miller claim still. So that's five left:

Since Royal was more active yesterday, I kind of feel better about them. So to me, scum is in these 4:

Ephi
HP
Fate
LP

If more than one of these is town, I don't know what's gone wrong. I still think Ephi shouldn't be overlooked. Just look at how they jumped across all the main wagons on D1 EXCEPT LP's. If I die tonight, keep that in mind for me, could be key.

Today should be HP's time, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Also been thinking about flavour. I don't know much about TNG, but I know everyone hates Wesley. You'd think he'd be in there just to piss someone off lol.

Could be neutral. Didn't someone throw around the idea that Fate was neutral based on how aggressive they've been? Maybe that's why he's been so angry :P

weemadarthur

Mad as in angry, or mad as in crazy?
Wesley would never be a neutral though.
it just doesn’t work. He was a child of a dead Federation hero who worshiped his dad and wanted to follow in his footsteps and die for god and country.

Shirou being Wesley would be hilarious, as would Shirou being a neutral two games in a row. I don't think that's incredibly likely in either case but it's possible.

As for Ephi being scum, I could see it, but I'm not leaning that way right now. I don't have her filed away as guaranteed town, but I'd be surprised if her role wasn't town/neutral and I'd be even more surprised if she's faking her role. Her voting record hasn't been amazing this game, but Ephi is known to vote a bit weirdly, voting and switching late in the day sometimes. I would say that is NAI for her, I've seen her do it as town. I do think your point, BoJack, about her being on a bunch of wagons D1 except for LP, could be legitimate. If LP flips scum I think I'd take a closer look at Ephi.

I like how Ephi's been questioning people. She was absent most of the day yesterday but I presume her personal life reason for that was legitimate. Her absolutely massive post about all the Blarg links and references felt like potential busy work and I felt the conclusion she reached from it, to vote for Zipped, wasn't a particularly strong one. The post felt more like what she said about it afterwards, that it was more notes for herself later, than anything else.

I think I wouldn't feel as good about Ephi without her claim/role, but even without it she wouldn't be my first choice. I'd go for HP and LP before her, for sure.

Alright wee's dead. I'm a little surprised they went for her over Zipped. Maybe they're very afraid of what's going on in this chat. I'm gonna reread wee's posts in the main thread when I get a chance.

I'm not gonna push Zipped to claim but I already pushed LP.

Would scum fake-soft Bodyguard that hard? I've thought about the possibility. It doesn't make sense unless both Zipped and Vere are scum, which is possible, but that means both Zipped and Ambu went in on these crazy claims and decided really early that they would fake roles. Not only that but they got a huge stroke of luck that Ambu's fake checks were accurate. That seems like too many coincidences. If scum lucked out that hard then I gotta hand it to them for being ballsy.

Ephi thinking I'm town which means I'm scum, classic lmao. If only she knew that she solved her own dilemma already with the post about BoJack not possibly being scum because then wee wouldn't have been the night kill from Neighbor Thread shared info.

BoJack if you want me to claim that I'm in this chat I'll do it. I'd rather claim that than claim my role. I'm hoping I can still pull off a "gambit" of getting myself night killed by scum by fooling them into thinking I have a PR. I could claim my flavour for that purpose as well, you'd think my flavour name has something good.

I think we should weigh the options of claiming vs. not claiming. If we want me to claim, I should do it before the end of the day phase today.

Let's do pros vs. cons list:

Claiming:
+Narrow the PoE for town
+I won't have to claim my role, which we could try and use to fool scum
-I become a bigger target for night kill (not a huge deal really)
-We lose our secrecy (we can still strategize just as well, but our coordination will be more obvious)

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards claiming actually. If I don't claim and you're the night kill today, nobody will believe me that I was in here.

Exactly, claiming would give you town cred. If you're actually scum, I hate you lol

But I do get the impression you're very town. Let me sleep on it, but I do think it's the right move.

I was thinking overnight, I think we should reveal it.

My thought is that town should get as much info as they can now. Scum have everything they need, I don't think revealing more is going to hurt us necessarily.

Sounds good, I'll reveal today.

I'll hold off on claiming my flavour for now, but I'll hint at my PR potentially being good.

Q, you've got more mafia knowledge than me, what kind of role would make Fate confident there's a doctor in the game?

Wondering if it's a bullshit ploy to try to add legitimacy to LP's claim.

I could see Shirou trying to cover for LP here with a claim. It's giving me Ambulance in The Thing covering for Chuggs by claiming to have won the challenge vibes (which is really funny because Ambulance actually did win the challenge, it's just he was scum anyway).

Shirou is also rallying hard to not go for HP right now. I'm trying to think of why scum would choose this. Is it possible that both LP and HP are scum? It seems really unlikely that D2 was SvSvS wagons. That would frankly be ridiculous, and it would make a fake claim by LP even more ridiculous.

Zipped appears to be claiming to have protected:
N1: Neki
N2: ATP
N3: LP
N4: wee

Just putting it all in one place for easier locating. The claims were spread out over many posts.

I am planning to ride out the course on HP here. We really need the flip, regardless of what it is. I feel like I'm gonna be upset no matter how HP flips so we just have to do it.

I'm glad it's the night phase because I am heated. It feels like the rest of town just does not listen to me. They're content to sit on their laurels until the last 15 minutes and then stack on someone. We're lucky that we hit Blarg and Royal.

I think Nat is acting super scummy and nobody but Ephi called him out on it.

I don't know what to think of HP anymore.

I'm lost. I need to pull myself together.

So I have stopped following the game thread but royal is good get. I dunno who pushed him or what but I think there is a good chance the last remaining scum are hp and Nat.

Just keep going, Q believes in you.

@Captain Picard I hope you're doing alright, you haven't posted for a minute. I'm very curious to hear what was in the message you got, since it seems it was likely from Royal. I'm going to ISO Nat today and build a case there. I think I have some strong points. I will post it here in case I get killed tonight, but I don't think that will happen. I am starting to get scumread by folks like LP, Vere and of course Nat himself, so I can see scum leaving me alive because they think they can engineer a mis-elim.

Only way I see myself getting killed tonight is if scum spooked themselves from my vague references to my role, or if I'm really on point with my reads in a way that I don't even realize myself. If I do get killed, please re-post my Nat ISO in the thread tomorrow. You can say it's from me or steal it for yourself, I don't mind at all.

I think Nat has been acting disingenuous and has been posting in bad faith. I'll go over a few separate points as to why here.

====================================================

I believe Nat's vote on Royal was a bus. Nat has been strongly defending HP his entire time in the game so far. Swinging the vote over to HP would blow his cover. It's very interesting how this exact same scenario occurred in The Thing, where scum!Nat swore up and down that he backed HP on D2, but at EoD Nat voted HP to self-pres and save himself from elimination. This ultimately resulted in his death by vig shot that night. I don't think Nat would make the same mistake twice, so instead here he went for the hard bus on Royal to get some much needed town cred after jman gave him little to work with.

Nat's first defense of HP:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-38#post-74303826
He downplays the possibility of both HP and Blarg being scum. I disagree with him here, because that Blarg wagon seems quite clean and happened very quickly. If LP is town, his claim would not necessarily be expected by the scum team and there wouldn't be enough time for them to react, if they were even around.

More defense denying the possibility of both Blarg and HP being scum:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-39#post-74307492

Then there's this very weird defense of HP based on SD2 that does not hold up under scrutiny. Nat's point is just plain inaccurate. I've already rebuked this point in earlier posts so I will not re-litigate it, but anyone can read the SD2 thread and see that Nat's point on HP's activity is wrong.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-39#post-74308602

Another defense of HP, stating that disinterested players are likely town:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-50#post-74522136
It's funny, because he made the exact opposite argument in SD2 towards HP. Additionally, Geno was a great example of a disaffected scum player in the very same game taking advantage of the same thing. I believe that being disinterested is NAI. People can have trouble in their personal life as town or scum. People can be frustrated with how games are going as town or scum. I think Nat knows this but he's pushing an agenda here.

Another defense of HP:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-50#post-74522412
Comparing Blarg to HP once again and saying how Blarg is just "Built Different (TM)". I feel like this post is disingenuous, because it completely disregards the possibility that HP is acting up for the main thread but is coordinated and cool in the scum thread. Do I personally believe that is happening? Not exactly, but it's a possibility that Nat conveniently leaves out. When HP claimed he was sick from the covid vaccine sideeffects in Mafioso, he actually was sick, but he still managed to post in scum chat, at least a little. A similar situation here is not an impossibility.

Nat has all these posts defending HP. The two leading wagons D5 were HP and Royal, and Nat was in need of some town cred. Going for HP would revert back on all the defense he has previously made, which would look mighty sus. If HP is town, Nat voting there would look extremely bad for Nat. Nat was basically forced to either bus Royal or vote offwagon, but voting offwagon wouldn't have given any town cred. I think a lot of his arguments defending HP are disingenuous and don't capture the full picture, but I don't think that necessarily says anything about HP's alignment. Scum!Nat could be defending either town!HP or scum!HP.

=================================================

Nat whined about the quietness of the game and how nobody is voting:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-47#post-74487186

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-49#post-74516832

However, when I posted attempting to solve, Nat trashed my reasoning:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-49#post-74521368

Additionally as Ephi already said, Nat was sitting there with Vere while whining about this, and was not making any attempts to solve or conversate on his own. I believe Shirou also made a post saying to the effect of "why don't you solve the game if you're so great then?". This behaviour by Nat seems intended to depress town and lower motivation, which is exactly what scum wants. Nat similarly trashed a large post by Ephi which I personally found rather great, and his arguments against it were similarly disingenuous, but I will get to that later.

===================================================

The weirdness with the situation surrounding anex is another key point in my case against Nat. I don't want to repeat myself so I will link my prior post here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-48#post-74515299

Essentially, Nat's arguments against anex felt like he knew he was going to flip town and was doing anything he could to avoid voting for him until he was "convinced" by town.

=====================================================

There's this weird defense of jman's and his own claim:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-44#post-74410311
If you're going to claim Miller after your predecessor did not, whether that's a fake claim or not, doing it right when you sub in is your best shot. jman is known for wild gambits, so you could absolutely come in as scum and go "Oh that silly jman, gambiting again as town. I'm town tho guiz trust me". I think the claim is completely NAI for the record, I just think this defense of it is suspect.

======================================================

Nat downplayed the possible importance of Vere's role:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-43#post-74407107
This game has been really weird so far, with scum flipping with outright town roles and a town flipping with an outright scum role. It's entirely possible that the flavour cop is more powerful than we expect, especially considering the only other confirmed invest role town had was a 1-shot parity cop. Downplaying the potential importance of this role is giving me The Thing vibes, where the scum team downplayed the importance of contact tracing in locating scum. It's possible that Vere's role is just fluff but like I said previously, I have reason to believe it is not based on my role.

=======================================================

I don't buy that Nat didn't realize it was -1 from turbo when he voted:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-50#post-74522700
I have read many a scum chat featuring Nat from re-reading old games. He is extremely detail oriented when he wants to be. The EoD D5 went by quickly, but it was not that quick. This reads to me like Nat knowing how the flip will go but appearing as an "accidental" very good result. Who cares about a turbo if we kill scum, right?

Going back to the Ephi post I previously talked about:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-49#post-74517987
I think this post is excellent. Ephi really captures how Nat is being very selective with what he is choosing to read and not read. After reading this post, I was like “okay Ephi is town” and then I looked at the vote tool and realized this could be a very elaborate OMGUS because Nat voted Ephi first
684857534464786432.gif

Nat then defends himself following this post by Ephi:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-except-in-mafia.488278/page-49#post-74518512
This defense trashes Ephi's argument for being a "feels" read. Ephi herself has a line in the post at the end that says it is a feels read, but I would personally disagree with both Nat and Ephi herself about her arguments here. This post includes actual examples of Nat's behaviour, they just aren't quoted or linked, such as the references to Nat's postings about jman and anex. Once again I am disagreeing with how Nat is responding to and contextualizing arguments. As a bonus, in this same post he also boils down my reasoning for voting HP into "will solve LP" which is merely one component of that entire post of reasoning. Once again, feels disingenuous. It feels like he's talking down instead of meeting a fellow townie where they are at.

As a final point of interest, I went back and read through jman's posts in Mario Mini and Fantasy Star (yes I know Fantasy Star was an unconventional game). I did this to try and get a better handle on jman's scum game. I feel like he plays pretty similarly as scum and town, except he posts a bit less as scum and is less prone to gambits. He did not post a ton this game before subbing out, and he did the one, seemingly inconsequential, gambit. I feel like everyone knows jman's propensity for gambits at this point, so I could absolutely see a scum team telling him to throw out a D1 "gambit" for some town cred early. Taking advantage of your own meta is a powerful tool.

======================================================

So there you have it. I think Nat is scum because he is floating along and making disingenuous arguments, downplaying other players. His defenses of HP and himself/jman don't really hold up under scrutiny.

Sorry I've been gone, I've not been feeling great at all this weekend. I'm feeling okay enough that I can turn up for start of day if I'm alive. I'll read through everything if I can. Thanks for holding down the fort Random :)

Trouble is if hp is town, you were fucked from the start. Fate has also become very unhelpful

Shirou's claim is extremely good. Is it really as simple as remaining scum just being Nat and HP? It can't be, can it? I don't know who else it could be.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Why are folks so locked into their rigidly defined PoE? I thought you're supposed to solve the game holistically and take everything into account?

Top Bottom