Spectator Thread Every day they're out there making duck puns

lokiduck

Awww yiss mothafuckin' breadcrumbs
There was no reason to assume only town could be recruited to that chat. That's on Zeke
Yeah that was so silly about Zeke assuming he was a cop.

of course a flavor specific chat would have a counter to it.

neighbor chats don’t need them normally since anyone can be recruited but flavor specific does.

this is why cult chat in Nier had one too

lokiduck

I am a little bit confused on how the neutral is actually supposed to win this though?
Zeke dies or Launch lives too more nights.

:thisisfine:
LP is able to do this because everyone just sees green check and switches off. Everyone does it. It is what it is.
Yep. This is why godfathers and infiltrators are a thing in the first place.

you shouldn’t rely solely on investigative powers. If your green check talks like scum, votes like scum, and walks like scum, maybe they are actually scum.

Leo

Quack Pack King
I am a little bit confused on how the neutral is actually supposed to win this though?

The catch was that Glomgold should try to get Scrooge killed. He wouldn't win immediatly when Scrooge died, but as Scrooge would stop earning money, it would be just a matter of time until Glomgold outriched his heirs. Also, Scrooge didn't know he was on a race for money, he was just using his powers for their benefit (self-watching or commuting), so it was possible that he would self watch more times, getting behind Glomgold faster. And it was possible that mafia would simply kill Scrooge early. So it was a difficult role to balance.

In retrospect, I should probably have given Glomgold a power to look for who Scrooge is though :( Lesson learned!

Only Zeke is still alive from the possible heirs, so if he dies, Glomgold wins anyway.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
The catch was that Glomgold should try to get Scrooge killed. He wouldn't win immediatly when Scrooge died, but as Scrooge would stop earning money, it would be just a matter of time until Glomgold outriched his heirs. Also, Scrooge didn't know he was on a race for money, he was just using his powers for their benefit (self-watching or commuting), so it was possible that he would self watch more times, getting behind Glomgold faster. And it was possible that mafia would simply kill Scrooge early. So it was a difficult role to balance.

In retrospect, I should probably have given Glomgold a power to look for who Scrooge is though :( Lesson learned!

Only Zeke is still alive from the possible heirs, so if he dies, Glomgold wins anyway.

Yeah I think having either that or a way to try to kill Scrooge would have made that role a bit more manageable. I feel like as it is now the player just as to commute as often as they can and hope scum takes out Scrooge early for them, but hey hindsight and all that.

FateShirou

ain't no law when you're drinking the claw
Team of 4 in a 22 player game Fate. Stop whining.

I would point out that town had a bunch of informational powers.
Naturally a four man scum team needs counters if they have any chance of survival.
scum dosnt need shit to win
There was no reason to assume only town could be recruited to that chat. That's on Zeke
why did you replace out, you could have won this
instead of making me have to put weeks of my life and losing to a fucking recruitable godfather
Town had like a billion investigative powers, if scum couldn't counter that, we would just be handing the scum team on a platter. And a neighbor chat isn't a safe space by definition, that's masons chat. The neighborhood was alerted they couldn't post their role PMs.
yea and you said good things will happen to me
i will leave the rest i want to say for post-game
where did my dime go

I assume either Gladstone's inheritor needs to die or Launch needs to survive long enough to commute again to have more money than Fate had yesterday (which was a sum he did not reveal, but started with a 5, the same figure Launch now claims to have).
5 quackmillion or something
you shouldn’t rely solely on investigative powers. If your green check talks like scum, votes like scum, and walks like scum, maybe they are actually scum.
It sure is easy to solve from spec thread

Leo

Quack Pack King
where did my dime go

I didn't say "good things", I said "something" lol The flavor was always something good for the character, but the results were a mixed bag that could help scum or town.

The dime is with Zeke now, but that mechanic is dead and buried since Zipped died haha

Last edited:

lokiduck

:I you seriously expecting a 4 man scum team to be able to win against 17 other people (since launch is neutral) with no counter to town powers?

Also what does my comment about green checks have to deal with spec chat???

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck
scum dosnt need shit to win

why did you replace out, you could have won this
instead of making me have to put weeks of my life and losing to a fucking recruitable godfather

where did my dime go

5 quackmillion or something

It sure is easy to solve from spec thread
Town will probably still win Fate it'll be okay

FateShirou

ain't no law when you're drinking the claw
i was not in the best headspace lol
here i thought i was replacing in as scum
I didn't say good "things", I said "something" lol The flavor was always something good for the character, but the results were a mixed bag that could help scum or town.

The dime is with Zeke now, but that mechanic is dead and buried since Zipped died haha
well i still have 5 quackmillion dollars
i could hire a good lawyer and sue you for this
:I you seriously expecting a 4 man scum team to be able to win against 17 other people (since launch is neutral) with no counter to town powers?

Also what does my comment about green checks have to deal with spec chat???
im not chuggs
i dont give a darn if scum gets sweeped

lokiduck

I will also point out that the scum team has been basically on the run all game. They didn’t blend in well the first few days which is why they lost two of their powers including their chance at a double kill so quickly.

honestly it’s amazing the game has gone on for as long as it has and yes part of that is lp being a gf infiltrator, but that hasn’t stopped town from considering LP at all in their POE.

lokiduck

here i thought i was replacing in as scum

well i still have 5 quackmillion dollars
i could hire a good lawyer and sue you for this

im not chuggs
i dont give a darn if scum gets sweeped

Then maybe you shouldn’t complain about game design when you clearly don’t give a fuck about balance so all sides have a chance at being able to win.

Last edited:

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
I will also point out that the scum team has been basically on the run all game. They didn’t blend in well the first few days which is why they lost two of their powers including their chance at a double kill so quickly.

honestly it’s amazing the game has gone on for as long as it has and yes part of that is lp being a gf infiltrator, but that hasn’t stopped town from considering LP at all in their POE.

yeah if scum doesn't have that godfather this game gets real one sided

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
YOU PUT A GODFATHER IN A NEIGHBOR CHAT????????

this community is so scum favoured, its laughable at this point
LP can just avoid thread and lap his way to victory
what fucking bullshit

Dude... stop.

Neighbors, by definition, should not trust each other. That's not "favoring scum." That's "understanding the way roles are used in games as general standard practice."

This is not just my interpretation. This is how the role is typically used. See also:
Neighbors are players that can speak to each other. Unlike Masons, there is no guarantee made of any Neighbor's alignment. It is up to the moderator's discretion whether they can only speak at night, or at any time.
Neighbors, unlike Masons, do not know each other's roles. I.e. it is not guaranteed that all members of a neighborhood are town.

Neighbors are generally not all town and even if it turns out they are all town in a game, the concept of the neighbors should never signal "oh, all town, all clear," because the very point of the role is to invite suspicion, unlike masons.

I'm going to ask you this one time to stop spouting complete bullshit as though it is fact, if only because every time you do, you also include some sort of insult. Just stop. You're wrong. Insulting everyone doesn't make you less wrong; it just makes you look like an asshole.

And no, I'm not going to say this gently, because it's been said before and you simply do not listen, so gloves off, straight out: You misunderstand the rules repeatedly and blame everyone else repeatedly, and what's worse, you don't listen when someone offers help or correction. Therefore I can only conclude you don't actually care about what's true or what balance actually is - you just want to complain and pretend it's some weird community conspiracy to favor scum. It simply isn't the case. Instead, you just misunderstand things. Read more. I really don't know what else to tell you. But can it with the nonsense.

lokiduck

yeah if scum doesn't have that godfather this game gets real one sided
Basically. Before the green check and infiltration, scum’s only hope was Malus as he was getting the least heat.

fuck, even with everything peeps like Ephi and Bojack and other townies are still sus of LP.

Scum hasn’t won this by any stretch of the imagination.
Am i the bad guy to be rooting for LP ?
Honestly with the amount of work he has done you should be. Being lone scum can be hard as hell, so we all need to give him major props.

Ephidel

How do you do, fellow mafia?
I'm not backing down from this, do your worst Doctor.
Shirou, please stop.

The hostility and balance blow ups so far this season have already lost us community members, and it was already asked that people stop throwing insults around and proposed that balance discussions be shelved until at least 24 hours after game end to give people time to calm down and stop that happening again.

Abide by that.

And if you didn't read that post, maybe do so.

First, we would really like to ask folks to please take some time to consider their approaches to play and spec. We all get frustrated, we all have opinions - we have strong feelings or we wouldn't be here, really, doing this wacky murder game thing. But let's please try to remember that we are a community first and that people have feelings beyond the game - and that things that roll off one person's back don't with the next.

This is hard. Folks struggle with it to different degrees. We have different boundaries. But maybe we can try to move our collective boundaries toward the health of the community? Rather than stopping everything and trying again to decide and then enact, which is our usual approach, we can try to openly talk through it as we prep for the next game, and as we play. Can we make this an ongoing negotiation throughout the season? We are not just navigating relationships, but people - that should always be ongoing, not set. This isn't a game full of NPCs.

As for spec, I think we should all be mindful that commentary can feel especially harsh after an emotionally draining game. I will be running the next game, with sign-ups to start soon, so I will be monitoring spec closely and hoping that folks in spec can work together to establish some new guidelines, if necessary, as we go. Maybe we just need a reminder to frame things more constructively; maybe we need more guidelines. We will investigate.

But the thing is, we have rules. For the most part, our rules work, though may need to be strengthened. The problem isn't really rules, I suspect, but just negotiating them. Humans are messy.

---------------------------

Let's talk balance & criticism.

First, let me say this - even if you are mad about a game's balance, even if you think a game was the worst thing ever put to page, sit on it for a moment before commenting. There's no reason to insult reviewers and gamerunners. There simply isn't. This has been an issue that recurs over the years and it's one I'd really like to see stop here. Running a game is hard. Designing is hard. Reviewing is hard. But without people willing to step up and do that work, we don't have a community. Oh, we can rerun basic setups and minis and publicly available structures, but that's all we could do, and even that's hard if we don't have people willing to run games. Someone has to do it. And no one will want to if our first urge in post game is to spit on the people who did the work because emotions are high.

I am not here to litigate who said wait, what, and where lines were crossed in this instance; with regard to this, it doesn't matter, so instead I am here to tell you that when this happens, we lose gamerunners and reviewers, period, every time. Every time. So I am pleading with you to stop. What was a week or two of very intense play to you might be months for them, spread out over more than a year. It's a team of people who set aside other things to run games. The games aren't perfect. We aren't perfect. Some fail. And I'll tell you, it hurts to see your game collapse, just as much as it sucks to sit through a game and feel like all the air has been sucked out of the room. And no one needs to be attacked for volunteering their time and energy. It's a hell of a way to repay the work.
(edited to add: this also goes for players, you know? a game is an investment of time. it's partially why so many people are so intense and have such strong feelings about it. games are consuming. it makes us more reactive. something to keep in mind. but to have a community, we need all of us. Players, designers, gamerunners, reviewers, OM managers, all of it.)

Therefore: I propose all balance discussions and complaints be shelved for at least 24 hours after game end, without exception. I think it is valuable to have those discussions, but I think emotions get too high for anyone to see objectively during and immediately after a game - I think a day to stop and breathe and consider would help. Another thing that was floated was waiting the night phase for any game end, but I think maybe just taking a beat on criticism could potentially help more here.

I'm not particularly interested in this as a rule beyond a generally accepted community practice, so I'm floating it for responses and reactions. I think it's a solution to tamping down postgame emotions. Not the only one, but a solution to a part of the problem.

This is hard to navigate because jokes also get made and it's hard to draw a line, but in general... let's really not jump on gamerunners and reviewers because something in a game wasn't to your taste or liking. We have a process. The process can always be improved but every game goes through a process and an attempt to balance. "Balancing" is theoretical, because we cannot predict what you are going to do in a game and how others then react in turn, but every game goes through a vetting process to attempt something that looks balanced on the page. If you want to know more about how this works, we can show you. In the meantime, I'm asking, personally, for folks to respect that labor.

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
I'm not backing down from this, do your worst Doctor.
You're not backing down from what, being wrong and stubborn about it for no reason? Sure. Godspeed. Be my guest. You are more than free to just sit there and be wrong, but it's not going to change anything. Being mad does not change how neighbors work. They are working as designed. This precise scenario is meant to be the challenge. It's up to town to figure out who they can and cannot trust. That's the game. That's the nature of mafia. If you want something else, you're asking for a different game.

But here's the deal. You need to stop insulting people. You also need to stop insulting the team that works on this community. It's not fair to anyone - not the people who have to take it, or the people on the sidelines who have to listen to it. If you don't want to listen to me, you're in luck: I'm not the only one saying it. And if you'd paid attention to messages during the game, you'd have known already that you were well over the line. Stop. Just stop. That includes messaging me on Discord. It is exhausting. Stop.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
Within our community meta people really need to keep godfathers top of mind, not every game has them but the majority do. From the outside looking in of course it makes sense that scum could infiltrate the chat but those in the game have convinced themselves that it's not likely.

Also Fate, you have to reign in coming into a thread after learning the spoilers and being so aggressive with your opinions. There are ways to discuss design without coming in hotter than Hawthorn's mythical ghost pepper.

Fanto

Confirmed Town
If we go by this thread, Godfathers are considered to be a "Normal" role in our community:

So yeah, I think it would be best for people to keep them in mind meta-wise, especially in games with Alignment Cops on Town. That's one of the simplest ways you can balance against Cops getting red checks on the whole Mafia team; you add a Godfather.

lokiduck

If we go by this thread, Godfathers are considered to be a "Normal" role in our community:

So yeah, I think it would be best for people to keep them in mind meta-wise, especially in games with Alignment Cops on Town. That's one of the simplest ways you can balance against Cops getting red checks on the whole Mafia team; you add a Godfather.
YEP. Some considered them bastard as they are a mod lying to a player about results, but in our community at least they are a pretty staple way of balancing cops besides of course using switchers/nexus to redirect shots.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
Yeah, and to be fair the majority of the game seems to be approaching this knowing it's possible he's a godfather. It's him being invited to the neighbor chat on top of it that seems to be throwing people even though that flat out isn't a clear no matter how convinced zeke is that he's the cop actually

malus

#1 official chartmaker
Yeah, this is in no way in the bag for LP. He still needs two miseliminations (three if Launch doesn't win before that) and most players have him in their PoE. But if anybody can do it, it's LP.
Ngl, after the back to back kill of Zook and Zipped I thought Town would just sweep the floor with us.

lokiduck

Btw, what do VA's items do?

It only works on people who have teeth (VA's flavor has teeth) but it's useless on him LOL.

It's just a motivate that only works right after you've used a 1 shot ability. Sooooo It would have worked on Sneeks, you, or Zbeat, but on the innocent child it's basically useless lol.

Reactions: Leo
I can't see LP getting voted out today. Worst-case scenario is Launch going so the Zeke-Sneeks feud goes on into tomorrow.

As much as I would love for them to listen to what I said yesterday, can't help but root for LP in a way. He's playing this pretty flawlessly. He speaks only when he needs to and it's working. If he can somehow get himself to final 3 with Zeke and Sneeks, it's a wrap for him.

Donnie

Mafia, pocketed, or dead N1
I can't see LP getting voted out today. Worst-case scenario is Launch going so the Zeke-Sneeks feud goes on into tomorrow.

As much as I would love for them to listen to what I said yesterday, can't help but root for LP in a way. He's playing this pretty flawlessly. He speaks only when he needs to and it's working. If he can somehow get himself to final 3 with Zeke and Sneeks, it's a wrap for him.

Yeah it's kind of incredible the way he manages to skirt the radar without pinging others. A quick look tells me Anex & LP combined have only posted to the level I did on day one haha this is the kind of thing on paper that should make your alarm bells explode but he dips in at the exact right time with the right level of content being called for.

The Wizard

Confidently Incorrect
Seeing my day 2 read of Zeke get resurected while Bojacks late game case on LP gets ignored:
artworks-WI3XFRhLyK3nRZmF-3hPK3A-t500x500.jpg

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member

That’s his magic. He does exactly what he needs to, and it works. It’s wild to watch.

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck

Honestly I think Zeke + anybody but VA is a win for LP right now

EvilChameleon

Are you scum?
Looks like it might be Zeke getting the boot, which will give Launch the win, thus getting rid of him from the game as well, and it'll be left to the remnants to figure out that LP has been hiding in the shadows the whole time, much like scum was in the last game I played, lol.

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck
It really is amazing they haven't figured out that Zeke is the last in the line of sucession for the money yet.

The Wizard

Confidently Incorrect
It really is amazing they haven't figured out that Zeke is the last in the line of sucession for the money yet.
I mean Zeke is actively lying about it..
I wonder if Zeke will claim richest duck if more votes come down not on Launch. It basically confirms him as Huey and cements the Launch vote he is pushing for as "correct"

Leo

Quack Pack King

Someone with flavor knowledge could point it out as Huey is the only character still in the game who is related to Scrooge. But I think only LP is familiar with the flavor at this point so... lol

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck
Someone with flavor knowledge could point it out as Huey is the only character still in the game who is related to Scrooge. But I think only LP is familiar with the flavor at this point so... lol
Pain

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck
I mean Zeke is actively lying about it..
I wonder if Zeke will claim richest duck if more votes come down not on Launch. It basically confirms him as Huey and cements the Launch vote he is pushing for as "correct"
Well ya called it

Ephidel

Too late for town to believe him though.
Funny thing is this might be the most favourable town scenario given the actual setup. It confirms single scum, which might put LP back on the menu for Wee?
It might be, in losing Zeke and Launch he loses his prime defenders at this point.

HPSauce

Wait, I was right? Fuck
Honestly the money NOT getting passed on to LP and Launch leaving should make it obvious. SHOULD.

Ephidel

Honestly the money NOT getting passed on to LP and Launch leaving should make it obvious. SHOULD.
It has no reason to go to LP, his claim is Hawthorn's nephew. No relation to the McDucks :altpop:

It would have been Me and Donnie.

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
Yeah that was so silly about Zeke assuming he was a cop.

of course a flavor specific chat would have a counter to it.

neighbor chats don’t need them normally since anyone can be recruited but flavor specific does.

this is why cult chat in Nier had one too
I mean, I really didnt clear LP. Even in woodchucks chat I said Lp would be the one.
There's a reason I didnt say I had the money is woodchucks chat.
I also picked up on me having to ping him to vote Launch and Malus.
If LP is the last scum, I honestly dont think I wouldve convinced other town to go there.
I also would flipped weems before LP(idk if weems is scum).

THE VIDEO DOESNT SHOW OMG i had to link it

It's such a good video lol go watch it people
For day start maybe Merlock shows up and just turns everyone into their Disney Afternoon counterparts? but then again I'm not sure everyone alive has a OG ducktales/Disney Afternoon counterpart...

EzekelRAGE

*truffleshuffle*
LP never left my list of potential ppl.
The fact that LP is the last scum makes me feel better. We still have a chance. I think me assuming there were 2 scum played a lot into it.
Me bickering with Neeks didnt help, but I honestly tried my hardest to avoid it.
:thisisfine:

Neeks defending launch like that.......man idk if I couldve shaken that next day phase.

I had a nice ass post on LP in woodchucks chat. The post I mentioned in the game thread. Probably better I shouldve posted it.

Top Bottom