Spec thread

EvilChameleon

Are you scum?
Hey, thanks for letting me in. Might be done playing for quite some time, but I'm not done following along!
A procedural question; this game had a lot of reviewers. When do you begin to get worried that that might take away from potential sign-ups? It took quite some time to fill up the "lobby", so the speak, for this one, so do you think that was due to the number of reviewers or other factors?

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
Hey, thanks for letting me in. Might be done playing for quite some time, but I'm not done following along!
A procedural question; this game had a lot of reviewers. When do you begin to get worried that that might take away from potential sign-ups? It took quite some time to fill up the "lobby", so the speak, for this one, so do you think that was due to the number of reviewers or other factors?
Hey, it's great to have you back! You're welcome to follow along or do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Someone like Fireblend, Loki, Aeleus or Roy might be better to answer your question about numbers of reviewers. I wasn't aware that this game had that many. (The design has been on the shelf for so long that I don't even remember who originally designed it.)

As far as signups, I don't *think* reviewers had that much to do with it, I just find that we have a natural slowdown around late summer and into early fall. I've never been sure why. Also I think the last few games have gotten a little intense and some people needed a break.

I could be wrong, but that's my read on it.

Edit: I looked it up. MagnumBoy20XX did the original design. No idea if Fate altered it.

EvilChameleon

Are you scum?
I feel for jman here, as this is the second game in a row (at least from what I've seen) where he has attracted some day one heat. But as Monkey keeps telling him, there's plenty of time left in the day for someone else to be in the firing range.

Alexem

Yeah, I'm town
Yeah, while I'm never huge on meta reads (especially on D1), this feels very much like town!Jman to me.

EvilChameleon

Are you scum?
I had a chuckle at this...
randomrandom.png

weemadarthur

Mad as in angry, or mad as in crazy?
Thought vomit time.

Would like see a Vere vote just to test out Monkey's theory.

Wouldn't mind voting Fanto, I'm amused of her read on me.

Can get behind a Rando vote, if only because his word choice stuck out to me. Mentions my glib postin which is a call back to Mao. On that note, a vote on Mao could be fun too.

Reki, so quick with the bad vibes. Curious what will happen if there was an actual attempt to vote him out.

Bold pandora is amazing. Starting a fight with 5 people at once, all of whom can outpost you in their sleep? It’s spicy and I love it.

Sawneeks

little green dog
only skimmed a little bit of the last page and reki got some sketch vibes for that vote. calling scum on that one :p

Sawneeks

little green dog
Soul Read: my boy Rando is finally Town again. \o/
that means scum kept up the rando v lux thing too much. from the bits i saw i'd guess leo or maol might be bad actors in that just based on their reasonings for being 'suspect'. reki's vote still looks not-great.

probs town; Jman, rac, ty?

Zipped is giving me some scum vibes from our last game but not a lot. he might be scum with leo since he asked him who to vote for and picked between rando/leo for the vote (while ignoring lux).

fanto gives me scum vibes and no i cant explain why.

a 28 page day 1 though :thisisfine:

Sawneeks

little green dog
i prefer day 1s to be 72 hours but i dont think the rest of us like that
haha, i always wondered why day 1s felt so short :rofl:
day 1s can be so sloooww though. not too much to go off of besides many memes
Fanto could be scum for sure, she’s just aping monkey to death. But zipped is likely just confused and absent.
fanto seemed to be sheeping a couple of people towards the end there to a point where it almost felt forced. comes across as a scum forced WIFOM of 'would scum really do that? sheep that many people?"

and yeah, possible re: zipped. his few questions he did bring up were more focused than his 80s mafia ones where he was scum. should be able to get a better picture tomorrow.

Alexem

Yeah, I'm town
If it weren't for time zones, I wonder if a 24-hour quickfire D1 could ever work to get the game running? (Don't take this as a serious request, by the way - just spitballing from someone who's never any good with D1.)

FateShirou

ain't no law when you're drinking the claw
If it weren't for time zones, I wonder if a 24-hour quickfire D1 could ever work to get the game running? (Don't take this as a serious request, by the way - just spitballing from someone who's never any good with D1.)
feels like ur first post will get u lunched in a 24 hour D1
:rofl:

Sawneeks

little green dog
....i kinda want to try that. fate's got a point that memes would just get you killed but i feel like the pressure on both sides would make for some interesting plays.

Let's have day one after night one.
Way back in the day, it was actually standard for mafia games to start on N0, where town PRs and mafia sent in their actions first. It fell out of favor because it makes games swingy, and there's people who signed up who don't get to play at all.

You could probably design a modern version where kills don't go through N0, but the set-up would need to be designed around night play more so than the day phases. Could be interesting, but it'd be experimental.

I'm actually surprised I was the kill. If the scum team has Monkey or Fanto on it I would have figured they'd spend D2 playing the, "Mao got our vig killed," game. I pushed the Lux flip over Rando (who is probably town) so there was stuff to waste town's time on me.

I didn't have any strong scum reads other than Hedin pinging me late in the phase, who I didn't push, so I can't imagine why I got killed other than maybe someone thought I was a PR.

Maybe my townreads were all right and they thought my PoE would catch them quickly.

Sawneeks

little green dog
Huh. yeah put me in the camp of 'im surprised maol died' as well.

maybe you were switched with the actual target?

weemadarthur

Mad as in angry, or mad as in crazy?
Monkey has still done 0 towny things, i could see her as scum.

pandora probably isn’t, i really liked her attacking so many people at once lol.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
I will say there's one member of the scum team that I think is having a very improved game based on previous scum games and I think it'll be clear who this is as the scum team is revealed lol

Hawthorn

I'll explain my reasons later
Hard to tell anything except that Jman and Rando are both 100% town.

Fate are you enjoying gamerunning so far?

I will say, of the three newbies, the one I suspect the most currently is Jom. This entrance today feels a bit wolfy, and his posts are constructed in a way that I can very much see being assisted with from an experienced player.

Not worth voting for him if I'm town today, but he'd be dangerous to leave alive in a MELO situation

Sawneeks

little green dog
Leo seems....interesting right now. Can't really put my finger on it. I think his alignment would say a lot about hedin, LP, and Fanto atm. the defense of LP sticks out to me the most while still being open for him 'later'.

darkside seems like town though and im liking their game so far. being aware of the meta but still going ahead with their own ideas/thoughts just really reads like a townie to me. Pandy is there too but on the opposite side of the 'new town player' spectrum - unsure what to do/say but still in the game. quiet and nervous but not in an underhanded way.

got nothing on Jom. :x

Fate, I feel like I let you down. This game just caught me at a weird time and I just couldn’t get something together to string a patented Zipped gif montage together.

Sawneeks

little green dog
RIP, welcome zipped. looks like my gut was right that you were town. :<

LP having an override shouldnt exclude him from being scum imo. town shouldn't walk into that, especially after he was so quiet with it all and then overrides the second wagon (zzzz). Leo/Jman being something is interesting. clears Leo methinks unless he is neutral of some kind.

Neki's vote today is ringing red flags again too. i would vote there tomorrow if i was in lol.

Sawneeks

little green dog
wait LP said he'd use it on the top wagon besides himself? hmmm, less scummy. would've been better to go after your own scumread instead of the other wagon but that's fine. it does show the day end was T v T (if LP is town).

if LP is town i'd put hedin higher up as possible scum since he kinda helped push for zipped too. and when hedin was a chance to become the second leading wagon it became zipped instead.

if there isn't scum in LP/Hedin, scum is probably off to the side. i'd say monkey fits that well in terms of the vote.

malus

#1 official chartmaker
I only read the last page but Leo is obviously bluffing. This is a normal game, so I don't expect there to be some half ass lovers. They're probably just masons and he's baiting the kill on jman.

Fanto

Confirmed Town
Honestly not sure where I'd be going today other than continuing to try to get people to see what I saw in Hedin tbh, I've wanted that flip since D1 and idk if I'm gunna get it lol.

Kind of figured I'd be dead tbh. I did the math from a Scum perspective in my head overnight and realized that they were prob going to avoid the whole Leo and Jman thing and go for a mostly Town read player, and god damn did I ever play Townie as fuck last phase lol.

Fanto

Confirmed Town
Oh shit, is Fran scum? He's the other player that would have made sense to kill over me, he hasn't had like any scum reads on him....

Fanto

Confirmed Town
This is also the point where if Monkey doesn't hit scum today she's scum. She was already leaning there pretty heavily with the whole, "I would never switch votes to Lux on D1 as scum," bit. Very WIFOM of her.
Yeah, today was going to be my last day of town reading her. Her targets have been subpar so far, and if she is Town, the only way I square it is with Rando being Scum and she didn't get us to go there when we normally would have.

Oh shit, is Fran scum? He's the other player that would have made sense to kill over me, he hasn't had like any scum reads on him....
He's doing a good job hiding it if he is. Though the game has been pretty easy for scum to coast through if they're paying attention like he is.

I think we should consider role claim later today for 3 reasons.

1. We are at the point were many 2 shots have used there stuff. ( about the shots I expect in normal game)

2. Wanna get info before investigation/info clearing roles get got in the night

3. We are getting a cleaner POE narowing it further can get us the first domino scum to fall that opens the rest if the game up.

Paranoia about a scum gambit grows. It's actually not the worst idea for town, but this is such a good move if you're scum who is sitting on a soft clear.

Paranoia about a scum gambit grows. It's actually not the worst idea for town, but this is such a good move if you're scum who is sitting on a soft clear.
Hm, and if Monkey is scum I can see her hatching this plan to protect jman and Leo.

I wonder who Ty investigated.

Sawneeks

little green dog
What are the chances Leo and jman are both scum and this protector role stuff is a gambit.
Was kinda thinking about that since Jman is claiming vanilla and isn't aware of Leo's protection of him. It's not impossible to exist and I don't see why Leo would fakeclaim the role yesterday when he wasnt going to die but Jman was. No reason to die yourself to a scummate so you'd both die.

Maybe Leo has a random player he has to protect till endgame? Some sort of Neutral?
Possibly. I agree with Maol he is real quiet this game and hasnt made waves. my experience says that's scum Fran.
Yeah, today was going to be my last day of town reading her. Her targets have been subpar so far, and if she is Town, the only way I square it is with Rando being Scum and she didn't get us to go there when we normally would have.
Nah, I think monkey can be just as wrong as the rest of us. Her not nailing scum doesn't say much about her alignment since Town cant solo streamroll a game :p

I'd watch her but idk if i'd say it with certainty she's scum.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
My real mafia hot take is that I think the whole “don’t defend yourself, go scum hunt.” thing isn’t a great way to help you hunt. Being on the other sound of that just reads like “Go do some shit that I’m going to read in bad faith and use to look for links, and if you flip town I’ll ignore everything you did.” Just feels kind of pointless from the other perspective

It's a weird thing that really depends on the player. Sometimes a strong defensive front just doesn't look good with certain players if they're not prone to playing like that usually.

I think the most optimal play tho, is a blend of both. Defend yourself from people strategically, but don't get caught in an endless spiral with people who aren't ever going to town read you anyway. Move forward as best you can and if you're gonna get flipped, leave town with a confirmed town bias read list they can pull from, if town is smart.

Sometimes you're just gonna get caught in a shit situation tho and can't let it get to your head and think you're a bad player for it. Mafia is mostly a game of the blind leading the blind, individual skill rarely matters when you're in the middle of the cross hairs.

Fanto

Confirmed Town
My real mafia hot take is that I think the whole “don’t defend yourself, go scum hunt.” thing isn’t a great way to help you hunt. Being on the other sound of that just reads like “Go do some shit that I’m going to read in bad faith and use to look for links, and if you flip town I’ll ignore everything you did.” Just feels kind of pointless from the other perspective
I think what read especially kind of silly to me in this case is that Ty literally was just sitting there playing the game and doing things, he voted, he was giving reads, and then he gets told to go do things as though he wasn't...
It's a weird thing that really depends on the player. Sometimes a strong defensive front just doesn't look good with certain players if they're not prone to playing like that usually.

I think the most optimal play tho, is a blend of both. Defend yourself from people strategically, but don't get caught in an endless spiral with people who aren't ever going to town read you anyway. Move forward as best you can and if you're gonna get flipped, leave town with a confirmed town bias read list they can pull from, if town is smart.

Sometimes you're just gonna get caught in a shit situation tho and can't let it get to your head and think you're a bad player for it. Mafia is mostly a game of the blind leading the blind, individual skill rarely matters when you're in the middle of the cross hairs.
Yeah, def agreed. I feel like I did a good job on D2 of defending myself against what I saw as bad Scum reads on me, but also moving on and playing my normal game.

Chuggernaut

HONK HONK MF
I think what read especially kind of silly to me in this case is that Ty literally was just sitting there playing the game and doing things, he voted, he was giving reads, and then he gets told to go do things as though he wasn’t…

Yeah I agree. Always kind of felt like it comes off as dismissive of work you’ve done previously especially if you feel like you have been scum hunting. People sussing you is part of the game but I get being frustrated getting hit with the whole “go scum hunt” thing.

Top Bottom