Spec thread

Fanto

Confirmed Town
yea im not doing another game
cant deal with people dropping out so much
This is the other part of game running that I find to be really stressful, as anyone who's been in a modchat with me for my games knows. For what it's worth, I also had to run through a lot of replacements in my last game, including having to fetch Loki and Faddy from the permanent replacements (and Wee too!). In my case, I had people on the normal replacement list who were turning me down and/or not responding to my requests, which made it even more stressful because there were some cases where people had to wait a long time for a slot to be filled. I don't know for sure since I'm not in mod chat, but it seems like your replacements have been found and subbed in relatively quickly at least, or during the night phases, which at least makes it a bit less stressful than when they drop during the day.

Basically, I'm just trying to commiserate a bit and let you know that these are things all gamerunners go through, so I really do hope it doesn't detract you from wanting to run or design other games in the future. I know your vote count posting has been a meme, but you honestly are doing everything right here and are running a fine game. I know from the outside it's not always easy to appreciate the amount of work that goes in to it all, but you are doing really well at all the little things that add up to making a well-run game, so I think you'll be a great gamerunner in the future if you do still want to after this experience.

Donnie

Mafia, pocketed, or dead N1
Even though it's been a bit of a meme, I kind of love the vote count after every vote lmao it was extremely helpful during isos and trying to get a read on what was going on when someone gave reads or a vote lol if you have to go two pages then deduct 5 votes and move them back to another person etc to figure out what the standing were for the post you're looking at it's stressful lol

Donnie

It's so stressful being in that situation, but I think he might come back and see if his sarcasm works in lowering town's guard.

Yeah this is interesting lol I read it as as him giving.up but seems like folks are taking it openly

Alexem

Yeah, I'm town
Yeah this is interesting lol I read it as as him giving.up but seems like folks are taking it openly
Could be giving up, could be ending the day early to shut town up before they start asking awkward questions. Since it was pretty clear Anex's head was on the block, there's always the option of resorting to dirty tricks. (Which is, in all fairness, the MO for scum!)

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Since the game is likely wrapping soon, it's time for me to say something:

I'm leaving the leadership team. I'm not leaving the community or the server, but I need to be done with mafia and I can't be while I'm still part of the decisionmakers. I need to let the game go, and if I'm going to do that, I have to send the responsibility with it.

I'm not doing this because of anything in this game, or at least, not anything other than myself in this game. I'm just not the same as I was and I need to be done with mafia. I have loved helping to keep this community going, but for the last... four? more? years, I've thought about it almost every day. I need a break at the very least.

So I'm done. I've let everyone know and give them time to prepare and like I said, if anyone needs anything, it's not like I'm going anywhere.

That said, I will talk about this game.
I absolutely own my own meltdown. Sometimes it takes me some time to recalibrate and pivot when things take me by surprise, and I don't think anyone quite understands what took me by surprise.

I had what felt to me like a perfectly legitimate suspicion on Ty due to a steady decrease in activity and engagement. Was it a good read, a bad read? I dunno - it felt okay in the moment and I wasn't the only one. Maybe not a good play, but it was an avenue and there was absolutely no reason it couldn't be. I read spec and the whole "it's so infuriating to be told to scumhunt when you're scumhunting" - and I agree, actually! but in my POV, Ty had basically stopped, and when I and Vere started talking about this, Ty came in and just completely went ham on me. Not on Vere, though most of his posts were TO Vere - I was the target of most of the insults, though. And they were insults. And it's sure fun to read some of them repeated in spec. Because, see, I wasn't "scum spouting bullshit." I was town with a bad read, which is... completely normal. And if Ty had actually engaged with me, I might have gotten through it.

I'd already been working on trying to let go of my reads sussing other people who were active - not sticking in, not doubling down, but considering and reconsidering. It's what got me to town Vere. It's what got me to town Rando. But for some reason, when I went to Ty, it was an offense. Why? How? What the fuck?

And then I tried to be cool about it but it kept happening and so days later, while I struggled to be in the game at all as I had hurt my back (pretty fucking severely, too, tbh; still hurts), at the very end of the phase, Ty claimed. A good claim in normal moments, yes. Great timing. But it doesn't just make scum scramble, spec. It makes town who's spend the last 48 hours being insulted scramble, too. I could not, in that moment, process why someone who was town and who I wanted to have good faith engagement with would just yell at me for two days instead of trying to have even a single conversation. I just couldn't. It didn't make any sense to me.

But you know what? I do it too. We all do it. I'm not even mad at Ty (though I remain confused about how that went down) because his reaction was as normal as mine was. We insult each other. Sometimes it's in good fun. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's hard to tell. We scream and we insult each other and we call each other fucking idiots and I just don't think I'm here for that anymore.

I love the puzzle. It's not worth the hurt.

And for me, I think, it's worse - not that I get it anymore than anyone else, though sometimes I think I do - but it's that I get it outside of the games, too. I get yelled at and insulted for trying to shepherd the community. And I think over time it's just all been mashed together for me. Maybe I'm also just more tender these days. I don't know. But something changed and mostly, I'm miserable when I try to do this.

Feels bad. Feels really bad and has for a long time.

So I'm done. For real this time.

I want to say one thing as a gentle caution: please remember that while our friendships in the community are truly the best part of everything, they can also cut people out. Cliques in the games are getting more and more apparent, and it's something folks should watch for. Early on it didn't feel that way - just more felt like the community was one group (though maybe that was just my perspective). Now, not so much. So I'd maybe just keep an eye on that and see what can be done to mitigate.

fate you should be proud that happened in your game, its gonna be remembered forever

in any case i apologize to you and everyone else in the game
i don't enjoy the way i post or play and it clearly isn't engaging for anyone else either
I enjoy playing with you rac and from my position in spec don't think you have anything to apologize for.

Donnie

I should have figured out how to overcome my issues with posting so I could seem more like my town self. Hoping to provide cover for darkside and Anex helped to an extent, but that's way too much pressure for darkside as new scum.

Ah you shouldn't feel bad at all Loki, nor anyone of the team. Yall made it to day 8 and gave town a fair run for it's money, that's admirable in it's own right then especially so when so many of you are fresh as mafia and fresh to the game entirely. Darkside and Jom just need some nice comfy town rolls next time hopefully lol

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Ah you shouldn't feel bad at all Loki, nor anyone of the team. Yall made it to day 8 and gave town a fair run for it's money, that's admirable in it's own right then especially so when so many of you are fresh as mafia and fresh to the game entirely. Darkside and Jom just need some nice comfy town rolls next time hopefully lol
Especially with such a tight PoE. Y’all crushed, tbh. It never feels like it in the moment but it was great play.

anexanhume

My logic is based on the famous “goat problem”
It's so stressful being in that situation, but I think he might come back and see if his sarcasm works in lowering town's guard.
That was the intent. People backed off for a second and I got hopeful lol. Same reason we didn’t kick Ty/Pandy. We knew we were throwing Hail Marys to try and throw town off but they held to PoE.
Yeah big well done to Anex, he had quite a lot of heat on him on day 4 and 5 really, getting this far was good. The touch about not feeling heard by other players was evil lmao it definitely pulled my heart strings

I felt so bad reading Rando’s posts about me

Donnie

That was the intent. People backed off for a second and I got hopeful lol. Same reason we didn’t kick Ty/Pandy. We knew we were throwing Hail Marys to try and throw town off but they held to PoE.

I felt so bad reading Rando’s posts about me

Haha all is fair in love and war! Next time someone tells me you're townie for rolefishing though :p

lokiduck

Awww yiss mothafuckin' breadcrumbs
:nobu: Wait does town gotta kill Reki now? or does Reki gotta convince town to let them win?

Thanks folks. I didn't even know this thread existed! I had a blast

My plan was absolutely insane, I had no idea nobody even tried it before lmao. I guess its insane, who would try shooting themselves?? Figured it was by far my best shot at this point

Yeah I'd imagine after the shock wears off in a minute Reki is just dead.

My goal was to shoot myself and hope Pandy protected me to give me cover, because really who is gonna shoot themselves? And the second part was I guess Reki was a liar the whole time in the end, I was just thinking there was the chance the lie was Reki wins if one faction is eliminated entirely. And if that was the case I'd rather just have given Reki the win instead of town.

Donnie

Kill Reki or Kill Faddy, live or die, make your choice or lose your minds town

images

lokiduck

Come on town, Let Reki win. ;w;

We wanted to win with Reki which was why we were going to use Faddy as a bargining chip lol but at least town can let Reki win for helping catch us ;w;

I honestly don't get why they're getting cute with this. Just vote out Reki, I wish I could trust anyone in my life as much as town trusts Reki

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
@darkside :blobpat: You did good dude. It's hard being scum in your first game! @Pandora and @Hedin can attest to that XD I'm super proud of you and hope you enjoy the next experience you play in.
Darkside had it harder than I did for sure as I had at least played mafia and had been scum before, albeit many years before at a different site. Definitely not an easy thing to do with your first game ever.

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
As a side note, there was a lengthy discussion in modchat about whether or not Darkside was going to be allowed to shoot himself. In the past there has been a rule about not taking actions that would "throw" the game for a team, but when we reviewed the list of rules for the game, it was not in there. So we decided to give Darkside some time to consider if that was what he actually wanted, and then also realized that this would not be the end of the game, so we allowed it.

Haha I'm sorry I'm such a pain. I really did think I was just dead for with the TMI stuff and being linked so hard to Anex towards the end so getting Pandy to protect me seemed like the best option.

Fate I saw some stuff earlier in this thread where you didn't seem happy so I just wanna say thanks cause I never would have tried out Mafia if it wasn't for you and Loki especially. I'm glad I got to play a very short while with Loki, that was a fun bonus

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
We insult each other. Sometimes it's in good fun. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's hard to tell. We scream and we insult each other and we call each other fucking idiots and I just don't think I'm here for that anymore.

I love the puzzle. It's not worth the hurt.
I get yelled at and insulted for trying to shepherd the community. And I think over time it's just all been mashed together for me. Maybe I'm also just more tender these days. I don't know. But something changed and mostly, I'm miserable when I try to do this.

Feels bad. Feels really bad and has for a long time.

So I'm done. For real this time.

I want to say one thing as a gentle caution: please remember that while our friendships in the community are truly the best part of everything, they can also cut people out. Cliques in the games are getting more and more apparent, and it's something folks should watch for. Early on it didn't feel that way - just more felt like the community was one group (though maybe that was just my perspective). Now, not so much. So I'd maybe just keep an eye on that and see what can be done to mitigate.
I want to clip these parts of Monkey's post out for people to look at. I don't want to turn spec into a discussion on this, but I think it's something we as a community need to talk about and address in a separate space after this game. I think in the last 3 or 4 games we've had major issues where conflicts have gotten overheated and people have quit the game in general because of it. It can't continue. We have to figure out something as a group.

RetroMG

Bergentrukung
Staff member
Haha I'm sorry I'm such a pain. I really did think I was just dead for with the TMI stuff and being linked so hard to Anex towards the end so getting Pandy to protect me seemed like the best option.

Fate I saw some stuff earlier in this thread where you didn't seem happy so I just wanna say thanks cause I never would have tried out Mafia if it wasn't for you and Loki especially. I'm glad I got to play a very short while with Loki, that was a fun bonus
Nah, you weren't a pain and I was impressed with your play for your first time. Stuff like this comes up, and that's why we have a modchat on discord for the gamerunner and some advisers to hash this stuff out.
I mostly brought it up because I'm expecting a bunch of "Hey, was he allowed to do that?" posts post-game.

Hedin

Oops, All Scum!
Staff member
I thought it was a good idea. It was very unlikely for Pandora to target the heal there but its either that or get voted out this phase. I know we have a no throwing rule but I am fine with a surrender option (which this was kind of like).

heymonkey

Known Roblox Expert
Staff member
Thanks folks. I didn't even know this thread existed! I had a blast

My plan was absolutely insane, I had no idea nobody even tried it before lmao. I guess its insane, who would try shooting themselves?? Figured it was by far my best shot at this point
I think it was a really cool thing to try and it's definitely left chaos in your wake. Better than just walking in and getting turboed!

malus

#1 official chartmaker
Yeah I'd imagine after the shock wears off in a minute Reki is just dead.

My goal was to shoot myself and hope Pandy protected me to give me cover, because really who is gonna shoot themselves? And the second part was I guess Reki was a liar the whole time in the end, I was just thinking there was the chance the lie was Reki wins if one faction is eliminated entirely. And if that was the case I'd rather just have given Reki the win instead of town.
I love that plan, lol! Would have been absolutely legendary if it had worked.

weemadarthur

Mad as in angry, or mad as in crazy?
As a side note, there was a lengthy discussion in modchat about whether or not Darkside was going to be allowed to shoot himself. In the past there has been a rule about not taking actions that would "throw" the game for a team, but when we reviewed the list of rules for the game, it was not in there. So we decided to give Darkside some time to consider if that was what he actually wanted, and then also realized that this would not be the end of the game, so we allowed it.
I did wonder, but there’s no rule against open wolfing if you’re pretty sure you’ve got no chance at the end, sometimes it’s just easier to finish a cycle quickly when it feels hopeless.

So I figured it was specially allowed this time under these circs and should in no way be taken as a future ok thing.

Darkside played well but there was no defeating the PoE.

lokiduck

I'm so glad I got to play with you too ;w; You were a big surprise when I found out you were scum lol.

Top Bottom